Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

Waiting for Kato to release the EF13 and associated rake of coaches next week here... Boring old stuff I know, but it's Chuo Line and I likes it.

lighthouse
1 hour ago, railsquid said:

Boring old stuff I know, but it's Chuo Line and I likes it.

naaah, this old stuff is interesting history with many variations! :-)

• Like 1
8 hours ago, railsquid said:

Waiting for Kato to release the EF13 and associated rake of coaches next week here... Boring old stuff I know, but it's Chuo Line and I likes it.

I dont know, the steam generator car is pretty cool to me!  I ended up paying about $300 usd for my set a few years ago just to get my hands on one.  Now you can model snow country.

http://ef58.info/tokushu/yukiguni-01.html

• Like 2

One of the things I like about the older stuff is the non-uniform nature of the trains, including things like the generator car 😄

Anyway I've been waiting for this release to fill in the EF13-sized gap in my collection of brown locos which ran on the Chuo line (or close enough to it).

• Like 2
On 6/8/2019 at 8:58 AM, railsquid said:

One of the things I like about the older stuff is the non-uniform nature of the trains, including things like the generator car 😄

Anyway I've been waiting for this release to fill in the EF13-sized gap in my collection of brown locos which ran on the Chuo line (or close enough to it).

It’s a nice set and I especially like the steam generator car. Running behind 2 brown DF50s or the EF13 always gets some approving looks on club running days.

Confused now. haha or grrr?

I already have the 6 car.  I knew the 4 car 787 was coming.  Which I thought would compliment the 6 car.

Didn't know about the 7+1 car version though.  And with new front couplers instead of dummy couplers.  And the ability to shut off directional lighting.  These new 4 and 7+1 car versions are somewhat better than the old tech 6 car version.

Decisions, decisions.

8 minutes ago, katoftw said:

Didn't know about the 7+1 car version though.  And with new front couplers instead of dummy couplers.  And the ability to shut off directional lighting.  These new 4 and 7+1 car versions are somewhat better than the old tech 6 car version.

I am a bit confused why KATO would sell a car separately. Anyone know why they would do that? Is it some kind of special car, maybe a dining car?

I believe the saha is to represent the unpowered car added when the train runs as an 8 car set.  The suggestion is when running as Midori/Kamome sets, which iirc are usually 4+8 going to Sasebo/Nagasaki.

Depending on the service.  They run throughout Kyushu as 4, 6, 7, 8 (8 or 4+4) and 12 (6+6 only) car consists.

As above stated, the +1 Saha-100 car is to make the 7 car set to be an 8 car.

So add a bit more also on the models, the new 4 car set has no traction tyres, then 7 car set does have the tyres.

The kato 10-590 was my first train and I accidentally damaged the first car. Since the body will no longer be available, I am debating with myself whether I should renew the entire set by buying all 6 bodies. But then the price will probably be the same as buying an entire new set

I have put in a preorder for the E233 chuo line. I saw the prototype walking near Ochanomizu. It will look nice running along side my 201, 103 and 101! Lots of rustic orange.

I am still surprised about the E353. Did they underestimate initial demand? I guess I was lucky to pick the basic set up at Joshin super kids land in Osaka and ordered the rest of the set from MTP.  That sound card is tempting me even more to get that Joban c62. Uhhh.

• Like 1
On 6/11/2019 at 8:18 PM, 813817813 said:

The kato 10-590 was my first train and I accidentally damaged the first car. Since the body will no longer be available, I am debating with myself whether I should renew the entire set by buying all 6 bodies. But then the price will probably be the same as buying an entire new set

The bodies are around 1500 each.  The became available for pre order yesterday on Hobby Search.

If I take a closer look at the numbers given in Hobbysearch of the D51 set, the D51 might have been found in the Niigata area.

It seems Kato is doing well if they decide to bring more containers to the market. If this continues, you can soon get Kato containers from every period.

I'm quite interested in a more up to date 787 as I have the old Relay Tsubame.

I wasn't aware that these services were coupled together. I see a lot of 787s on the 6 car Kirameki services between Mojiko (門司港)and Hakata (博多) but never seen a 4+4 or 6+6 formation.

12 cars seems quite long for a Kyushu express as even the longest commuter trains tend to be only 9 cars, 3X 813系.