Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

Personally could only confirm the 285 and 787 as i purchased them at those times

Kato website has the release posters all the way back to 2011 if you wanna confirm each model.

Edited by katoftw
5 minutes ago, katoftw said:

Personally could only confirm the 285 and 787 as i purchased them at those times

I don't understand what you're confirming. You only mentioned a time in relation to the 787. 

5 minutes ago, katoftw said:

Kato website has the release posters all the way back to 2011 if you wanna confirm each model.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm doing. I had assumed you had already done this when you reported earlier with confidence that all models had been released within the last 18 months. The recent release announcement for the Sunrise Express made me wonder if we have been entirely accurate. 

5 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

I hope so. I think it's quite possible. Going through the old posters it looks like may of these models are due a release.

Nagomi last release April 2016

Sunrise 2019 realease - previous release July 2016

Kiha 85 - April 2019 release - previous release April 2017

Series 683 "Thunderbird" - last release Jan 2017 (or is it the series 289 - last release Aug 2016)

Series 787 - listed as "planned product" in the 2019 catalog - last release  November 2011 (can that be right?)

Kiha 283 Super Ozora - There was a Micro Ace release in  February 2018. Last Kato release 2004.

Couple of thoughts here:

The E655 Nagomi might get a chance, since they still have the Special vehicle up for sale (I think in Kato store in Tokyo too) 

Sunrise will still be continuing to be release? 

Kiha-85, unlikely, since the Kiha-85 Nanki is scheduled for re-release this April 2019

683 series Thunderbird is likely too, since last release was Jan 2017... 

Probably for the series 787, since the last one re-release was like back in 2 or 3 years ago, they probably should make a re-model with a new 4 digit number 10-XXXX

Kiha 283 series if it was re-released it would probably push me very much to the edge of going into Hokkaido... 

13 minutes ago, JR 500系 said:

Probably for the series 787, since the last one re-release was like back in 2 or 3 years ago, they probably should make a re-model with a new 4 digit number 10-XXXX

This is also interesting. I'd really like to understand the Kato production cycles better. When a model is release after a relatively short period (less than 3 years) does it usually mean that it's an improved model rather than just a re-print from the same molds?

Could be either.

Sometimes a new model with the 10-xxxx numbering is just a rrp increase. Model could be the same.

Other times it is an update like the upcoming 285 series. So new number and new parts.

10 minutes ago, katoftw said:

Could be either.

Sometimes a new model with the 10-xxxx numbering is just a rrp increase. Model could be the same.

Other times it is an update like the upcoming 285 series. So new number and new parts.

Kato, I'm sure you are sharing the information that I'm asking for. But I don't understand what you're saying. Can you try to dumb it down a bit for me. Imagine I'm a five year old with no knowledge of modelling jargon. 

What could be either? It be a new model or it could also be a reprint from the pre-existing molds. Yes, I know that. What I was asking JR was whether there is an identifiable trend based on release intervals that can answer the question. JR seemed to be sharing some knowledge of the sort. By saying that it could be either, do you mean to say there there is in fact no identifiable trend?

Also, can you explain the significance of a "10-xxxx" numbering? And what is an "rrp"?  I won't let you off the hook until you share more of your knowledge with me! 😜

4 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

Also, can you explain the significance of a "10-xxxx" numbering? And what is an "rrp"?  I won't let you off the hook until you share more of your knowledge with me! 😜

I think "rrp" is what we Yanks call "msrp"

Recommended Retail Price vs Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price

• Thanks 2
Das Steinkopf
2 hours ago, chadbag said:

I think "rrp" is what we Yanks call "msrp"

Recommended Retail Price vs Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price

Correct.

• Like 1
scotspensioner

As I understand it the 10- xxxx numbers are catalogue numbers allocated to each model on a series basis.If a model is updated it's given a new higher number but if it's a straight re issue,the number doesn't change.For example the current Hokutosei, Cassiopeia and Twilight Express trains were issued in 2010/2011 and have since retained their original 10-8xx numbers on re issue since.

If you want to go slightly further back with the posters go back to the start of this forum where you'll find some posters from2010 but the images page for the EF65-500 has a poster even further back! (6/2009)

Incidentally E bay also reveals older. Models eg 10-1415 has been previously issued as 10-296 but I only discovered this recently as an example

Thanks back of the catalogue has a full list of items of all categories which are fairly current starting 10-160 up to 10-1474

Edited by scotspensioner
Detailsmore info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, gavino200 said:

I know nothing.  😮  😀😀

Kato and Tomix categorize their product numbers.   10-035 ~ 10-899 · 10-1101  are "vehicle sets" or what we call a train set.  There are separate number categories for HO.

https://www.katomodels.com/stock

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys, for sharing your knowledge. Often I reserve a "must have" train, only to find the next month's release is even more of a "must have". And so on throughout the year. It's easier to hold out for the "most must have" of all when we know what's coming just a little later. 

I reserved the Sunlight express, and I'll probably also get the Nagomi too if they release it. Along with the the ICE that'll probably be it for Kato full train purchases for me this year. I pre-ordered the basic and add-on ICE sets, which was probably unnecessary as my station platform will only fit a basic set. 

Edited by gavino200
scotspensioner

I've just thought of a gem in my collection regarding reissues.  

Kato 10-476 was reissued in 12/17 and previously in8/13.( That's from the posters)

I bought one on eBay in early ( April/May) 2018 and the price ticket reads 17500 yen - the current price.

The instruction leaflet however is of the early pattern and is dated. ---- 2004 !!! 

On Katos website the red Assy tab reveals one dated 2013

Edited by scotspensioner
Additional information
  • Like 1

To add to the above insights and to answer you question. The move from -xxx to -xxxx was cos they ran out of three digit numbers or wanted to future proof a model number system with more flexibility. So went to four digits about 18 months ago.

So if you see a model with four digit code. It will be a new or updated model. Some re-releases have happened already though.

Otherwise, if you see a three digit model code for upcoming release, eg last month twilight express, you'll know it is an old model with old pricing and no updates.

Hopefully explained myself better this time.

Edited by katoftw
  • Thanks 1
scotspensioner
17 minutes ago, katoftw said:

To add to the above insights and to answer you question. The move from -xxx to -xxxx was cos they ran out of three digit numbers or wanted to future proof a model number system with more flexibility. So went to four digits about 18 months ago.

So if you see a model with four digit code. It will be a new or updated model. Some re-releases have happened already though.

Otherwise, if you see a three digit model code for upcoming release, eg last month twilight express, you'll know it is an old model with old pricing and no updates.

Hopefully explained myself better this time.

The changeover to 4 digits was much earlier -- in 2013 to be precise.

I have 10-1112,1167,1174/5/6 all shown on posters from that year.10-1112 has never been re issued since

Incidentally the 10-9xx series are limited edition models in red boxes as roundhouse

Edited by scotspensioner
Additional information
  • Like 1

Thanks for correcting my error. Maybe after 3 years (from 2013) the four digit codes become more predominant, hence why I started noticing them. As it would take some time for updates and price increases to completely filter in.

• Like 1

Nice that KATO is following TOMIX in getting the accurate color between the cars (E6 shinkansen). Still prefer the TOMIX version because it has the Tohoku Treasureland logo.

Edited by Yavianice
Takahama Trainwatcher

Ah, oh dear. Another E233 release, subtly different from previous releases. This is not good news for E233 addicts.

Interesting, I wonder what improvements could have been made as compared to the existing part 2016 model series.  The one I have runs flawlessly as is.  If this new run is a standard form d51 I may have to pick up another one.  Was that e233 5000 in use on the Keiyo line in 2015?  If so I may have ridden one and might have to pick one up.  The newer kiha 58s must be selling well for kato to do yet another run of them.