Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

36 minutes ago, katoftw said:

Oh dear.  Now I have both Twilight Express and Seven Stars in the same month.  When the wife sees that transaction on the credit card bill, I'll be sleeping in the car for a week.

Better than the dog house.

For the suckers on the forum, the E231-500 Rilakuma 10-1533 is available for pre-order

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B07G5JVC4S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.modeltrainplus.net/products/pre-order-kato-10-1533-series-e321-500-yamanote-line-rilakkuma-goyururi-go-11-car-set

updated:  AmiAmi https://www.amiami.com/eng/detail/?gcode=RAIL-25607  (Thanks to Sammy!)

I did not see it on HS  yet.

Edited by chadbag
add AmiAmi
3 minutes ago, JR 500系 said:

Ami has it

Didn't see it on HS though 

Thanks!!   -- when I search on Chrome it finds it but in my other browser the search does not find it.  I'll try clearing my cookies again.

May only be available at the KATO Shop but it seems they have run anothe set of EVA 500 Shinkansen and have fixed some prototype issues seems lights are also pre-installed or something)

Edited by chadbag
12 minutes ago, chadbag said:

May only be available at the KATO Shop but it seems they have run anothe set of EVA 500 Shinkansen and have fixed some prototype issues seems lights are also pre-installed or something)

Yeah, that's a different pantograph than the original. The orinal is a little stubby thing that sticks almost straight up. I always wondered about that. It doesn't look quite right. I never noticed the second car direction issue. About the first car light issue, I'm not certain because I put TORMs in it and they're very bright. But the 'purpled-out' windows need to be back painted for lightproofing, otherwise they glow a bit. I think that's what they're talking about.

These are all nice improvements, but not enough to want to buy a new train if you already have it. That does seem a little bit spensive btw.

Edited by gavino200
3 minutes ago, Suica said:

Yikes! One really has to be a hardcore Kato fan to buy this (still absolutely wrong model) over the Tomix version. 

I have it and I love it. It may be the best running Kato model that I have. But the main reason why I bought it over the Tomix was the (completely wrong) assumption that it would be a 'drop-in' decoder installation. The Kitty will be my first experience with DCC converting a Tomix Shinkansen. Fingers crossed. 

21 minutes ago, bill937ca said:

If you are looking for urban buildings at least three Kato buildings are being rerun.    

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10040481

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10038041

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10040480

YES YES YES!  I've been hoping kato would re-release this line for quite a while!  I hope they plan on doing the whole diotown line.

• Like 1

The Koban in the multi set is probably the best Koban building you can get from any manufaturer.

The wooden shops with eves are probably the best traditional buildings you can get also.

Otherwise just Tomix/Tomytec for everything else to so much variety available

Edited by katoftw

Welp, January announced.  I think this may be the most disappointing release katos ever done, just a pair of add on locos to a very pricey set.
2019_1.jpg

24 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

Welp, January announced.  I think this may be the most disappointing release katos ever done, just a pair of add on locos to a very pricey set.
2019_1.jpg

Looks like a good month to buy some Chinese trains 🙂

• Haha 1
33 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

aaahhh and I was starting to think where the DE10 for the Seven Stars are ~~ But is there a need for 2? Well, if one is getting the Seven Stars, I guess this is inevitable... 

Das Steinkopf
55 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

2019_1.jpg

I'm curious as to why they are releasing the two locomotives in the same livery and not one of each in the subtle variations of the livery that the class has, also why two locomotives when the Seven Stars only has one of them accompanying the train. Surely whacking in a set of numberplates would be suffice if people wanted to have a different numbered locomotive, ironically the set seems to come with four sets of number plates 1195, 1206, 1207 and 1209 so I don't know why there is the need for two locomotives other than as a cash grab from modellers on an exclusive set.

Edited by Das Steinkopf
21 minutes ago, Das Steinkopf said:

I don't know why there is the need for two locomotives other than as a cash grab from modellers on an exclusive set.

Maybe I'm just being pessimistic, but I think you may have answered your own question...  😁

• Haha 1
49 minutes ago, Das Steinkopf said:

I'm curious as to why they are releasing the two locomotives in the same livery and not one of each in the subtle variations of the livery that the class has, also why two locomotives when the Seven Stars only has one of them accompanying the train. Surely whacking in a set of numberplates would be suffice if people wanted to have a different numbered locomotive, ironically the set seems to come with four sets of number plates 1195, 1206, 1207 and 1209 so I don't know why there is the need for two locomotives other than as a cash grab from modellers on an exclusive set.

Yeah me too! Now that you mentioned it, they could simply slap in some number plates with a single locomotive set! It doesn't seem like there was ever a need to run both DE10s in a seven star formation? I've only seen videos of a DE10 with the original DF200, never with 2 DE10s nor 2 DE10s with a DF200...

Edit* Oh ok.. now that I just saw this, I understand the mystery:

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10559058/50/1

But why a Twilight Express?   ??? 

Shedding more light: 

*From HS: 

- Since it is a 2-car set of a vehicle with a traction tire and a vehicle without a traction tire, you can enjoy multiple drive and push-pull operation with another type locomotive.

- 2 traction tires not equipped with 1 traction tire equipments for the 1st two and 2 crank continuous operation and push pull operation for 1 other.

- There is also a track record of towing the special train [Twilight Express].

Ok suddenly my pre-order of the Twilight Express had a new meaning... 

Edited by JR 500系
1 hour ago, Kiha66 said:

2019_1.jpg

Kato has other models up for Jan. This is a second announcment of releases.

4 minutes ago, JR 500系 said:

Yeah me too! Now that you mentioned it, they could simply slap in some number plates with a single locomotive set! It doesn't seem like there was ever a need to run both DE10s in a seven star formation? I've only seen videos of a DE10 with the original DF200, never with 2 DE10s nor 2 DE10s with a DF200...

Those DE10s dont just push/pull the seven stars. They pull rail wagons, sleeper wagons and hoki800s also.

1 minute ago, katoftw said:

Kato has other models up for Jan. This is a second announcment of releases.

The other models are just December models that got the release date pushed back a bit, which is fairly normal.  Usually that doesn't stop them from still releasing other stuff in that month. 

Well Kato and Tomix are notorious for pushing stuff back around new years xmax period. Tomix did massive push back recently. Maybe Kato if going light in Jan rather than push back of grande scale. Only the boffins at Kato would know.

26 minutes ago, JR 500系 said:

Edit* Oh ok.. now that I just saw this, I understand the mystery:

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10559058/50/1

But why a Twilight Express?   ??? 

Shedding more light: 

*From HS: 

- Since it is a 2-car set of a vehicle with a traction tire and a vehicle without a traction tire, you can enjoy multiple drive and push-pull operation with another type locomotive.

- 2 traction tires not equipped with 1 traction tire equipments for the 1st two and 2 crank continuous operation and push pull operation for 1 other.

- There is also a track record of towing the special train [Twilight Express].

Ok suddenly my pre-order of the Twilight Express had a new meaning... 

They could've offered a replacement wheel set or bogie set without tyres rather than having a 2 car set though. Allows modellers to option their own fleet their way.

Either way I am buying. And if the wheels become available as assy parts. I'll get a set for a regular DE10 also. So I can do DE10 + Hoki800 + Hoki800 + Hoki800 + DE10.

Edited by katoftw