Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

3 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

In addition to the car end tail light, the headlight used during propulsion operation also turns on (with light switch on).

Does anyone have a picture or video with the end car on the front and the headlights on?

3 hours ago, Das Steinkopf said:

Interesting enough is how they have the silhouette of a DE10 at the other end of the train, I doubt they would be promoting the previous Tomix versions but they have no catalogue number allocated to it yet so hopefully they are alluding to the release of one in the Seven Stars livery in the near future.

There's no DE10 in Seven Stars livery. 

JR Kyushu has several DE10 in three different black liveries.

4 hours ago, kvp said:

Does anyone have a picture or video with the end car on the front and the headlights on?

Multiple links and pics in the last page. Note the extra above window headlights.

Pretty sure tail lights are same as reguler DF200s.

9 hours ago, Das Steinkopf said:

Interesting enough is how they have the silhouette of a DE10 at the other end of the train, I doubt they would be promoting the previous Tomix versions but they have no catalogue number allocated to it yet so hopefully they are alluding to the release of one in the Seven Stars livery in the near future.

Was thinking the same. Probably get a separate release start of next year.

58 minutes ago, katoftw said:

Multiple links and pics in the last page. Note the extra above window headlights.

Pretty sure tail lights are same as reguler DF200s.

That's the locomotive. I'm looking for headlight mode pictures of the propelling control trailer on the back. The Kato description states that the tail end headlights work, so the consist could be propelled backwards by the locomotive. The car in question has 4 red tail lights (and 2 verical red strips) and 3 headlights in a triangle formation. I'm pretty sure it has been used in propelling configuration as wikipeda has a loco picture with its tail light on and attached to the cars, so the propelling trailer was on the front.

Das Steinkopf
5 hours ago, Suica said:

There's no DE10 in Seven Stars livery. 

JR Kyushu has several DE10 in three different black liveries.

Generally there is a DE10 assigned to the train as back up power and it tends to be coupled to the rear of the train, the livery is predominantly Dark Chocolate which is more in line with the livery of the 7 Stars, I took a photo of one of the units at Kumamoto when I took the SL Hitoyoshi as it was used to haul the train from the deopt into the platform.

37851204791_984c949fa2_z_d.jpg

• Like 4
8 hours ago, kvp said:

That's the locomotive. I'm looking for headlight mode pictures of the propelling control trailer on the back. The Kato description states that the tail end headlights work, so the consist could be propelled backwards by the locomotive. The car in question has 4 red tail lights (and 2 verical red strips) and 3 headlights in a triangle formation. I'm pretty sure it has been used in propelling configuration as wikipeda has a loco picture with its tail light on and attached to the cars, so the propelling trailer was on the front.

Oh I understand now. Sorry.

There is a car with twin dual round tail lights with the headlights on the outside of those plus one on the upper middle like the loco.

I'll can try and find a pic when home on a better computer.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMncXkBUuZrKNXElTlD54eGUMEfNGOmWM111F8tg4MXMagE8wZo_9iL4Pn

8 hours ago, katoftw said:

Oh I understand now. Sorry.

There is a car with twin dual round tail lights with the headlights on the outside of those plus one on the upper middle like the loco.

I'll can try and find a pic when home on a better computer.

Actually there are two cars, one on each end. There are lots of pictures of them on the net, but i can't find one where the headlights are actually on, instead of the tail lights. Imho there should be some, as wikipedia shows the locomotive seemingly propelling the cars into a station with its tail lights on. The other end of the train probably had the headlights on.

ps: i don't see any wipers on the end glasses (they might be just hidden), so long term running with the cars on the front might not be possible, but shunting is

It used to before the landslide killed the Hohi line.

One of the original route was Hakata to Yufuin using Kyudai Line, Yufuin to Miyasaki using Nippo Line, Miyazaki to Kagoshima using Nippo Line, Kagoshima to Kumamoto using Hiatsu Line, Kumamoto to Yufuin using Hohi Line, back to Hakata using Kyudai line.

edit//  I just explained the 4 day trip on the wiki link by Yavianice.

Edited by katoftw
3 hours ago, kvp said:

Actually there are two cars, one on each end. There are lots of pictures of them on the net, but i can't find one where the headlights are actually on, instead of the tail lights. Imho there should be some, as wikipedia shows the locomotive seemingly propelling the cars into a station with its tail lights on. The other end of the train probably had the headlights on.

ps: i don't see any wipers on the end glasses (they might be just hidden), so long term running with the cars on the front might not be possible, but shunting is

three minute in...

• Thanks 2

The Seven Stars in Kyushu is sometimes also pushed/assisted by an ordinary livery DE10 which looks very off in my opinion.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, katoftw said:

three minute in...

Thank You! So the lights are not for continous running but for switchbacks and shunting. They are quite bright...

For the model, this allows some backwards running for layouts that have a terminus without a runaround.

Fenway Park

Thanks for the replies and video link.The Seven Stars crossed a local train on the line in a cab ride video but this was before the current closure. 

Lovely train but too modern for my layout.

Das Steinkopf
3 hours ago, Yavianice said:

The Seven Stars in Kyushu is sometimes also pushed/assisted by an ordinary livery DE10 which looks very off in my opinion.

The video is dated 1/10/2013 which means that this footage of its inaugural run, since then the 8 surviving JR Kyushu DE10's have been painted in the Dark Chocolate/Black livery, they are the following numbers 1195, 1206, 1207, 1209, 1638, 1753, 1755 and 1756.

Edited by Das Steinkopf
Additional Information
  • Like 2

Does this mean that when the passengers look out the big viewing window at the back of the train, all they can see is an ugly DE10?? 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Ok so dumb question: Kato DCC friendly mean I just drop a decoder in the DF200 and one in each of the passenger cars for the lighting, right?

This is seriously tempting me from my narrow path of JR East/Hokkaido...

Interesting point in the English version of the poster about the new RhB pack. It makes reference to "luggage car", "classic diner" and "timber wagon" appearing in passenger trains. Hopefully a hint of what Kato might release in future!

• Like 1