Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

7 hours ago, kvp said:

Not really. First, you need an SX type of power pack either 12V (N) or 16V (H0) size. Then you plug this into the new bluetooth controller, that is the same size as the new Kato external power adapter. This also powers the sound box with the right voltage for your scale (either 12V or 16V).

Parts list:

-SX power pack

-bluetooth controller and power adapter

-sound box

As the bluetooth controller could control the sound from the application, this means it's (in theory) possible to add remote controllable turnout switches too, stacking them between the bluetooth receiver and the sound box. How this control happens is not known to me but either by a sideband channel over the PWM signal or the bluetooth controller just switches to digital data output when a sound box is detected.

I'm pretty sure you are incorrect, the kato site says it is a stand alone throttle.  It does say you need to buy the wall wart AC/DC 110/12v power supply separately (Kato 22-082), although you could instead use the one that comes with the S or SX, or supply your own.  I'll be interested in seeing how it interacts with the sound box, sounds like Kato was planing ahead if they made it with digital input capability. 

I'm pretty sure you are incorrect, the kato site says it is a stand alone throttle.  It does say you need to buy the wall wart AC/DC 110/12v power supply separately (Kato 22-082), although you could instead use the one that comes with the S or SX, or supply your own.  I'll be interested in seeing how it interacts with the sound box, sounds like Kato was planing ahead if they made it with digital input capability. 

I own the SX. The wallplug is a separate purchase. It is different from the S wallplug and the manual says the two are not interchangeable. The separate wall plug is universal.
6 minutes ago, Yavianice said:

I own the SX. The wallplug is a separate purchase. It is different from the S wallplug and the manual says the two are not interchangeable. The separate wall plug is universal.

Interesting, as they are both outputting DC there shouldn't be a difference, once I get one I'll have to compare them under the oscilloscope to see if this is just a marketing tactic. 

2 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

Interesting, as they are both outputting DC there shouldn't be a difference, once I get one I'll have to compare them under the oscilloscope to see if this is just a marketing tactic. 

The new throttles have AC adapters. The sound unit needs DC, which it can get from either a DC adapter or the accessory port which is DC. The full bridge is in the throttle unit that is housed in the same box as the new accessory adapter.

Essentially Kato has added a BT receiver and H bridge driver into the power adapter box to create the new throttle.

ps: AC packs are needed for full high voltage side isolation, allowing two throttles to run common rail or get shorted without danger when they are on different high voltage phases...

2 hours ago, kvp said:

The new throttles have AC adapters. The sound unit needs DC, which it can get from either a DC adapter or the accessory port which is DC. The full bridge is in the throttle unit that is housed in the same box as the new accessory adapter.

Essentially Kato has added a BT receiver and H bridge driver into the power adapter box to create the new throttle.

ps: AC packs are needed for full high voltage side isolation, allowing two throttles to run common rail or get shorted without danger when they are on different high voltage phases...

I think you are mistaken, as the documentation for the power supply says the output is 13 volt DC.  I doubt kato would be wrong about such a simple thing.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10501352/10/1

Edited by cteno4
  • Thanks 1

Yes, it is DC. That means it could be a switching mode supply, which could be dangerous if not run from the same power strip.

Still, the sound box could be powered through the accessory port which in case of a DC pack should be just passed through the throttle.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/m/image/10530450

Btw, on the image, the throttle seems to be connected to the comm port on the sound box and not the jump throttle input. At least i think this is what the image shows. This would explain how the full control could work.

Edited by cteno4

If you're wetting yourself over that god forbid what you will be doing when they release an SL Hitoyoshi set [emoji13] .

It won’t be anything like what I will do when they release SL Ginga
10 hours ago, Das Steinkopf said:

If you're wetting yourself over that god forbid what you will be doing when they release an SL Hitoyoshi set 😝 .

I'm getting excited just you mentioning it. haha

Thank you Mr. Takayama for sharing these posters. What is a noise canceler which is mentioned for the Bluetooth controller?

EDIT: Apparently a noise canceler is necessary to run european trains on layouts with soundbox

Edited by Yavianice
On 08/04/2018 at 3:08 PM, railsquid said:

E235 production sample (?) on display at the Kato Hobbycentre in Tokyo today:

27438350798_24ab3c42ff_z.jpg

Kato E235 production sample (?) by Rail Squid, on Flickr

39501137050_6141e22255_z.jpg

Kato E235 production sample (?) by Rail Squid, on Flickr

These are now out, together with the Tomix version; no intention of purchasing one, but my subjective feeling from looking at them in the shop is that the Kato version is better than the Tomix one.

1 hour ago, railsquid said:

These are now out, together with the Tomix version; no intention of purchasing one, but my subjective feeling from looking at them in the shop is that the Kato version is better than the Tomix one.

I'm with you on this one... just the couplers alone can make me change my mind, that, and the fact that the Kato basic one has 4 -cars at 12k yen and the Tomix 3-cars at 9800yen (RSP prices listed)... for 2200 yen more we get another carriage and better looking couplers that would require more yen to change on the Tomix....

I do like the Limited set Unit 04 though... those flowery destination boards are a really nice touch!

* Off note, apologizes for an extended period of silence as I have just returned from an internet forsaken land for almost 1 month... plently of catching up to do...

The A/C unit detailing is certainly better on the Kato version, and it looks like it comes with the roof detailing in place, at least with the basic pack.

8 hours ago, railsquid said:

I preordered the Kato full set as I like the unusual nose design of this train, so now I am waiting not too patiently. :-)

6 hours ago, IST said:

I preordered the Kato full set as I like the unusual nose design of this train, so now I am waiting not too patiently. :-)

I preordered kato also with out knowing what either tomix or the kato would look like. I usually prefer kato but looking at the pictures of basic sets on HS glad I went with kato. The tomix version doesn't look like it comes with those green tinted windows.

5 hours ago, railsquid said:

Kato E235 video from Tomy Hiratsuka:

What is it? Is it a brand new Yamanote line subway? Do they all look like that now? Or are there just a few new ones?  Amazing video btw. Definitely an 'inspirational layout'.

It's the latest train for the Yamanote Line (which is definitely not a subway ;) ). Both Kato and Tomytec released models last week.

On 4/27/2018 at 8:17 PM, railsquid said:

These are now out, together with the Tomix version; no intention of purchasing one

Tragically I just found a bunch of videos showing the prototype running on the western section of the Chuo Line in the Tokyo area, which is where my layout is located...

• Haha 4
8 hours ago, gavino200 said:

What is it? Is it a brand new Yamanote line subway? Do they all look like that now? Or are there just a few new ones?  Amazing video btw. Definitely an 'inspirational layout'.

There are just a few of those. Most trains are still E233s in the Yamanote line EL.

• Like 1