Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

Martijn Meerts

... I may need that kiha81... even though I wasn’t supposed to buy any new rolling stock for a while ....

I know that feeling Martijn!  I just bought a set of them a few months ago, but this one has working front couplers...

1 hour ago, Kiha66 said:

Thank you very much!  The 2018 kato catalog mentioned a HO kiha 81 series, do you know if that was a typo and they meant this N scale version or is that still coming this year?

This is not a typo.

KATO is releasing N scale KIHA81 ahead of HO.

There is a sentence in the photo it says "HO version is also under development".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Martijn Meerts
1 hour ago, Kiha66 said:

I know that feeling Martijn!  I just bought a set of them a few months ago, but this one has working front couplers...

I don't have one yet, and the working coupler and option to add a locomotive to it definitely is an additional reason to get one :)

8 hours ago, nartak said:

As usual.  Got English version of new product information.

Free to distribute as you like.

PandaTrain-001.jpg

Anyone know if the Panda train is Kato DCC ready?

The Panda train is finally available for pre-order on Amazon.co.jp for non Japan shipments.  It had been registering as not shippable outside of Japan and I asked customer service and they said it had not been reviewed yet as exportable.  That review seems to have taken place and it is now pre-orderable.

Looks like august will be a cheap month, not much for me as I already have a 581.  Although the recent addition of the new sound cards make getting a soundbox a lot more tempting now.  That bluetooth throttle looks like an interesting addition, if a bit pricey.  I hope kato eventually does a model of an older Hankyu train, preferably a 3000 series.

The JR East HB-E300 series 'Resort Asunaro', E231-3000 series Hachiko Line/Kawagoe Line, and 205-5000 series Musashino Line are pretty good new releases. And, although it is very small, a re-release of the Yo 8000 means that it will be much easier to get hold of this car outside of Japan.

Does that page say the N700A is re-releasing in August.   I have both the expansions but not the basic set as I pushed it off until it started to get expensive.

Does that page say the N700A is re-releasing in August.   I have both the expansions but not the basic set as I pushed it off until it started to get expensive.

Yes, it’s a re-release.
23 minutes ago, Yavianice said:

Yes, it’s a re-release.

OK good, that is what I thought.  I was going to get it earlier this year when it was inexpensive but neglected to and then it got expensive.  I do have the 4 and 8 car expansions for it.

I see they are also re-releasing or releasing an 8 car Hankyu 6300.     I bought an (expensive) four car pack already and have the 4 car expansion.  I think my cost was about the same as they list.  Maybe I should have waited...

Thanks!

It will be interesting to see what kind of power adapter the Bluetooth controller will have for the sound box. Most kato products seem to have 100v inputs while my tomix du-101cl had a more flexible 100-120v. Something for those of us to think about in the US. 

The US kato standard S power pack comes rated up to 120v. I had replace one once. Very hard to find an equivalent. I don't think they are sold separately like the new SX. (I don'  think The sx has 120v input) The replacement I got is actually for a synthesizer! Hard to find AC output adapters so don't fry It!

Until I know it's voltage rating and what adapter it uses I will just have to wait on this.

25 minutes ago, nah00 said:

So If I'm understanding this right it just attaches to the side of the power pack like a point switch? 

Should be, thats how it has in the past.  It runs off the 12v output of the kato controllers or the kato 12v accessory power adapter for those not using the kato powerpack.

It will be interesting to see what kind of power adapter the Bluetooth controller will have for the sound box. Most kato products seem to have 100v inputs while my tomix du-101cl had a more flexible 100-120v. Something for those of us to think about in the US. 

The US kato standard S power pack comes rated up to 120v. I had replace one once. Very hard to find an equivalent. I don't think they are sold separately like the new SX. (I don'  think The sx has 120v input) The replacement I got is actually for a synthesizer! Hard to find AC output adapters so don't fry It!

The KATO power pack SX (22-018) comes with a universal AC adapter for N Gauge, 100V-240V. It has a different power adapter for HO gauge, I do not know whether that one is universal also. Unlike the older KATO power pack S (22-014, 22-012) the AC adapter is a separate purchase.
14 hours ago, Yavianice said:

The KATO power pack SX (22-018) comes with a universal AC adapter for N Gauge, 100V-240V. It has a different power adapter for HO gauge, I do not know whether that one is universal also. Unlike the older KATO power pack S (22-014, 22-012) the AC adapter is a separate purchase.

That's good to know. It is hard to tell from some of that advertised specs. I still only have the need for two power packs so have made a pass on the sx. And if I got the new WiFi one that would free up my standard S

21 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

Should be, thats how it has in the past.  It runs off the 12v output of the kato controllers or the kato 12v accessory power adapter for those not using the kato powerpack.

So if I understand it right you don't even need a stand-alone power pack with this? You just plug your feeder right into it?

2 minutes ago, nah00 said:

So if I understand it right you don't even need a stand-alone power pack with this? You just plug your feeder right into it?

So the sound box looks at the voltage output to the track to determine what sounds to play, so you need a throttle for that.  The box can be powered with a kato controller using the 10 volt plug on the side for the kato turnouts, or though a external DC8 to 18 volt power supply, which isnt included.  If you throttle is not kato but has an AC accessory connector, kato sells a box that converts that to the kato turnout power, which will also plug into the soundbox.  The instructions for the box show the two pretty clearly. 

http://www.katousa.com/cgi-bin/dl/dl.pl?dl.mif,SoundBox-Instructions.pdf

Oh I didn't mean the sound box, I meant the Smart Controller. After reading the description for it it's clear now that it is the power pack, I was just thrown by the small size. Really tempted by this since it would make operating a lot easier (and less ducking under) but I want to see video of it working first before I make a decision. Also if I'm reading the HS description right it can throw switch for powered/non-powered sections?

5 hours ago, nah00 said:

Oh I didn't mean the sound box, I meant the Smart Controller. After reading the description for it it's clear now that it is the power pack, I was just thrown by the small size. Really tempted by this since it would make operating a lot easier (and less ducking under) but I want to see video of it working first before I make a decision. Also if I'm reading the HS description right it can throw switch for powered/non-powered sections?

Not really. First, you need an SX type of power pack either 12V (N) or 16V (H0) size. Then you plug this into the new bluetooth controller, that is the same size as the new Kato external power adapter. This also powers the sound box with the right voltage for your scale (either 12V or 16V).

Parts list:

-SX power pack

-bluetooth controller and power adapter

-sound box

As the bluetooth controller could control the sound from the application, this means it's (in theory) possible to add remote controllable turnout switches too, stacking them between the bluetooth receiver and the sound box. How this control happens is not known to me but either by a sideband channel over the PWM signal or the bluetooth controller just switches to digital data output when a sound box is detected.