Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

On 2/17/2018 at 10:06 AM, JR 500系 said:

with the PANDA.... now i am thinking which one would be better.... argh the endless struggle between the two top brands...

Considering that the TOMIX version does not come with TN couplers between cars (only at the cabin cars), it's an easy choice for me...

1 hour ago, Yavianice said:

Considering that the TOMIX version does not come with TN couplers between cars (only at the cabin cars), it's an easy choice for me...

me too... considering the same factor... except one huge problem. i have already pre-ordered the Tomix one....   :pain10:

On 12/19/2017 at 10:43 PM, maihama eki said:

That is a luxury model train set for a luxury train.

The USA Kato models still has (or at least you can add to your cart) the E001 Shiki-Shima available for $270.00 (plus whatever they charge for shipping).   I would have thought it'd be sold out.    That price is competitive if not better than the resellers on Amazon.co.jp and many of the normal Japan resellers all seem to not have any more (Hobby Search for example).  Modeltrainsplus has 1 in stock for ¥31500, which at today's rate is almost $300.

It is not abnormal for seller of low volume products to fly under the radar and have some stock left.  Will be a deal for a buyer that does deal with KatoUSA.

4 hours ago, katoftw said:

It is not abnormal for seller of low volume products to fly under the radar and have some stock left.  Will be a deal for a buyer that does deal with KatoUSA.

I am way over budget or else I would be interested...  I should have grabbed one when I was in Japan last December.  All the stores had them.    It is a nice model.  

It never fails!  Two months ago I spend quite a lot acquiring and restoring a kiha 81 series, and then kato just goes ahead and releases it again.  :sad:

Hopefully they will sell assy parts again so I can fix my spare motor car.   

...why do I now have the urge to buy another one...

• Like 1
Das Steinkopf

Looks like I get to dodge a bullet for a couple of months, which is handy as I need to catch up with my hobby budget due to some rather expensive acquisitions recently.

Das Steinkopf
14 hours ago, Suica said:

Those tank containers are nice!

Going from what Hobbysearch has on their site I believe that they are exactly the same ones that come with Kato's 8042-2 Koki 200 model, given that I already have that one I will probably give these "new" ones a miss.

Oh no! An EF63 I don’t have! Do I need another pair of the 1st specification? Possibly and another 189 too!

Nice to see the EF65-2000 in HO and some more Taki options. 

Not sure what to make of the Kiha 81 and 82 releases. In the 2018 catalogue these exact images were used for an HO announcement. Hopefully this wasn’t a typo and they’ll be released in both scales this year.

image.jpg

Edited by Kamome
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, Kamome said:

Not sure what to make of the Kiha 81 and 82 releases. In the 2018 catalog these exact images were used for an HO announcement. Hopefully this wasn’t a typo and they’ll be released in both scales this year.

I agree, perhaps someone could get Narichi from modeltrainplus to ask at the next kato business meeting.

The Ge 4/4 III sound card may be a bit optimistic, given how loud one of mine and a few I've seen on YouTube are. 99% certain it's a badly balanced motor or a very slightly out of true armature shaft as it comes and goes with speed changes.

KATO has re-release of JR 500 Shinkansen and the 700 based Doctor Yellow and add-on car sets set for July per Hobby Search.   Great opportunity for a Doctor Yellow or 500 from KATO

If you like the Kato versions. The only pro the Kato versions have going for them is the light in the third pantograph.  Other than that, Tomix kills them in all other facets.

I love my Dr. Yellow from KATO. The 500 from KATO forced me to get a 16 car series which I didn't want, so I sold it and got the TOMIX 8 car version. Whether KATO or TOMIX shinkansens are better depends on the specific model and can't really be generalized, in my opinion.

53 minutes ago, katoftw said:

If you like the Kato versions. The only pro the Kato versions have going for them is the light in the third pantograph.  Other than that, Tomix kills them in all other facets.

The kato one is also more accurate for one version of the yellow, but more importantly it comes DCC ready.  

• Like 2
On 3/12/2018 at 9:14 PM, cteno4 said:

Tomix all wheel pickup is a big plus, it will run smooth on really crudded track!

Yeah there are pluses and minuses.  While I don't have any of the same shinkansen from both (ie, two n700 or two 800, one form each), I do have a couple Shinkansen from KATO and a couple from Tomix.  Both are nice.  The KATO looks a little "better" to my eyes (for the ones I have) and are easier to convert to DCC :) so I went for the new re-release of the KATO 500 and the Doctor Yellow instead of the Tomix 500 I had in my wish list...  Save about $10 too I think.  

But I like both brands for Shinkansen and have a Tomix 700 Railstar on pre-order for that release this summer and also have a Tomix E3 (the new paint job) under way (the last of my amazons until a few pre-orders later this summer).  Luckily I have some side gigs worth some good money to help pay for this.  Darn KATO and Tomix getting all my $ through Amazon, Hobby Search, and others...  It is all their faults for making such nice models.

Yes Kato Panda Kuroshio is out for pre-orders, and at a more friendly price, without the extra need for changing TN couplers! Very lucky for me, Ami accepted my cancellation of the Tomix one so I am going for the Kato!

• Haha 1
18 minutes ago, nartak said:

As usual.  Got English version of new product information.

Thank you very much!  The 2018 kato catalog mentioned a HO kiha 81 series, do you know if that was a typo and they meant this N scale version or is that still coming this year?