Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

The e353, d51, oha35s are all models I've been hoping for.  Interesting that Kato is doing the 7 stars, but not the Twilight Mitzukaze yet.  I'm excited for the HO kiha 81/82 series.   Also, is that a new smaller local station?  Anyone able to translate what the staion pic says? 

Das Steinkopf
50 minutes ago, katoftw said:

D51-200 and 35-4000 Yamaguchi coaches would be nice.  Tomix have shown interest in the coaches also.  Hopefully a C57-1 get a re-release also.

And a new wooden station?

I am surprised that you didn't see the Seven Stars, this is one Kyushu train that I might actually get as my wife wants to do a trip on it when it comes up to our 25 year anniversary.

13 minutes ago, Das Steinkopf said:

I am surprised that you didn't see the Seven Stars, this is one Kyushu train that I might actually get as my wife wants to do a trip on it when it comes up to our 25 year anniversary.

I did.  But it doesn't say Kato or 2018 on that page.  Just mini colums.  So I'm not reading it as a future 2018 model.

5 minutes ago, katoftw said:

I did.  But it doesn't say Kato or 2018 on that page.  Just mini colums.  So I'm not reading it as a future 2018 model.

Yeah. I scanned that because that's exactly how the Shiki shima was introduced last year in the 2017 catalog. Who knows. Time will tell.

Interestingly, the E001 is featured on the very next page.

If it doesn't come, nothing lost.  If it does come, I'll empty the wallet.  I'd say after their Shiki-shima success, that making a one off model with fancy coloured interiors and specialized lighting.  That they'll do it again and ask a premium again.

• Like 2
Das Steinkopf
1 hour ago, gavino200 said:

I'm not certain this is new info. This is from the 2018 Kato catalog. I was asking a question about the Kato/Lemke ICE4 in another thread. Densha asked if I'd post these pages here. These are screenshots of the PDFs from my scanner. 

zSxDv8k.png

IMG_0003.pdf

I am keen to know which variant of the 119 Series they are bringing out as I would like to add one to my Iidasen fleet, Set E4 which was a 119-5000 Series train was repainted in the original JNR Blue livery in 2009 and lasted in that until they were retired at the end of March 2012, if it's that train I will be very happy as the timeline I am modelling for my JR Tokai and JRF fleet is from 2012 to current day. Hopefully Kato will be bringing out other versions in the future in JR Tokai livery as the class was only in service with JNR for 4 years before coming under JR Tokai ownership.

Das Steinkopf
1 hour ago, Kiha66 said:

Also, is that a new smaller local station?  Anyone able to translate what the staion pic says? 

My daughter translated it and said it was "small local station".

• Thanks 2

Thanks!  Seeing as kato already has the local station, I'm guessing this will just be a smaller one like the greenmax station.  I wonder if it will use the same platforms as the old local station.

3 hours ago, gavino200 said:

These are screenshots of the PDFs from my scanner. 

Thanks for those scans! I couldn't wait any longer for my catalog to arrive, it’s been held up in customs for a week now :/.

I’m glad to see that Kato has enough confidence with its production schedule to list the ICE 4 as a 2018 model. Was starting to worry that it would be further delayed or would be a Lemke-exclusive release.

Edited by TSK1000
  • Like 1

So looking forward to the 7 Stars Kyushu, the Yamaguchi, 2000 and 353 series. But what is the station building on the first page? (I am not referring to the wooden rural station, but the commuter platform. it is listed on the same page as the toaster and 353 series). Will they re-release the KATO platforms with lighting perhaps?

Amazing! That E353! surely a must get! Funny Tomix didn't beat Kato to this one...

And that 2000 series! Now we can expect to see some price drop from those MA models... makes me wanna get one set myself! Add in Kato's tilting mechanism on this pendulum train, perfect!

Tomix better do something about that 7 stars... they probably need to come out with a premium model soon... perhaps the Twilight Mitzukaze?

Edited by JR 500系
Das Steinkopf
18 minutes ago, JR 500系 said:

Tomix better do something about that 7 stars... they probably need to come out with a premium model soon... perhaps the Twilight Mitzukaze?

It's rather odd that Tomix hasn't already made it considering they have already made the DE10's in Seven Stars livery as well making the DF200's that could be modified to make a DF200-7000, I got to see the Seven Stars DE10's when I was in Kyushu.

37851204791_984c949fa2_z_d.jpg

Edited by Das Steinkopf
4 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

Add in Kato's tilting mechanism on this pendulum train, perfect!

I didn't even think of that possibility! I just hope Kato will also do the N2000 (and maybe the TSE), instead of only the 2000 series basic model. I really hope this will be a prelude to the 8000, 8600 series etc. as well. The less need for MicroAce the better.

Edited by Densha

The E235 seems noticeably more expensive than the E231 for the same number of cars. Are there significant electronic upgrades in there or is this just an increase in production costs?

363 yen per car isn't a huge jump in costs.  Especially since the last E231 4+4+3 car sets were released 6 years ago.  15% over 6 years isn't a huge jump.

that figure becomes less when you factor in retailer and pre-order discounts of 10%, 15% 20% and 22%.  Buy a E231 11 car 4+4+3 car sets from Hobby search now and pay 10% off 22,050 total.  Pre-order a E235 4+4+3 car sets from AmiAmi and pay 22,230 total.  180 yen more.

Edited by katoftw

The green 3-section tram is a Hiroden 1000 type in standard 'GREEN MOVER LEX' livery. ;)

Tomytec actually made a special edition release sold only at select locations of this tram a few years ago, but these have become very rare and expensive. I think it's a good thing that Kato is expanding its horizons a bit.

On 1/19/2018 at 11:52 AM, Yavianice said:

So looking forward to the 7 Stars Kyushu, the Yamaguchi, 2000 and 353 series. But what is the station building on the first page? (I am not referring to the wooden rural station, but the commuter platform. it is listed on the same page as the toaster and 353 series). Will they re-release the KATO platforms with lighting perhaps?

Apparently it is a re-release of the current station platform. But with Platform doors included. Also there is an optional lighting unit for the station, as far as I can interpret it from this tweet

https://mobile.twitter.com/i/web/status/951371551894421505

From the kato facebook.  The orient express looks pretty neat!

27459646_1237118939722406_6603112613790125413_n.thumb.jpg.f72fad756e23a5366e79c985c901b139.jpg

27073246_944367862384683_7468861824344705965_n.thumb.jpg.852305e43284bbeb9eacae03fd07c3cb.jpg

Funny how I just purchased an Orient Express ‘88, what a coincidence. It is nice they re-release the steam loco as those were unobtainable for the correct price (or scale, or both)

1 minute ago, Yavianice said:

Funny how I just purchased an Orient Express ‘88, what a coincidence. It is nice they re-release the steam loco as those were unobtainable for the correct price (or scale, or both)

I actually was just looking at a set on buyee today!  Glad I didn't buy it.

I actually was just looking at a set on buyee today!  Glad I didn't buy it.

Seeing that the recommended retail price for both car sets is 30,000 yen (27,000 at hobbysearch) and that it will most likely be identical to the old one (as KATO models usually are), at least I didn’t overpay, very relieved to see that.
Das Steinkopf
4 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

From the kato facebook.  The orient express looks pretty neat!

27073246_944367862384683_7468861824344705965_n.thumb.jpg.852305e43284bbeb9eacae03fd07c3cb.jpg

The 119-0 Series does look nice especially with the option of adding on the KUMOYUNI 147 but sadly they fall out of my time line, I wouldn't mind getting them but I don't want to find myself falling down the JNR period Iidasen rabbit hole, the amount of vintage EMU's that I would have to invest in frightens me, not to mention having to invest in some ED62's and JNR freight stock as well.

• Like 1

Interesting that the "NIOE within Japan" is not available on the HS English site, so they might be subject to the same licensing restrictions as last time - not for sale outside of Japan.

Having said that, other retailers might still make it available for overseas buyers.

Edited by VJM