Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

Das Steinkopf
4 minutes ago, Yavianice said:

The 700T is on hobbysearch, and can be reserved. But only on the Japanese site, not the English. So they might limit sales to domestic only. http://www.1999.co.jp/10501561

Nariichi did mention on the MTP Facebook site that he has to check the licensing agreement to see if it is only for domestic release or that it can be sold overseas, either way I’m not worried as I am not into Taiwanese Railways or Shinkansens, I leave the latter one to my son as that’s his gig.

5 hours ago, nah00 said:

So would this mean if I had a double-crossover with a separate power pack for each side I have a greater chance of having a short with this type of power pack? I do have the trains slowing down/speeding up occur but after using the same power packs for so long I can generally get the throttles even. 

Not a short, but if the pwm phase is out of sync, you'll get full throttle while the train is on the turnout.

3 minutes ago, nah00 said:

Not exactly the most exciting thing in the world but for those of us with the old Super Azusa: 

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10502083

Nice that it comes with a light cover, it looked it was missing a piece. Also nice to have an LED, the original bulb wasn't quite bright enough to me. 

Nice, definitely getting one of those.

I like the way Kato thinks about owners of existing products.

• Like 1

I will be posting English product brochure from KATO on this thread from now on.

KATO rep agreed for you to freely repost this on other forums to widely share.  But please do not modify the content.

NewModelInformation2017.11-001.jpg

NewModelInformation2017.11-002.jpg

NewModelInformation2017.11-003.jpg

NewModelInformation2017.11-004.jpg

• Like 10

Just realized the new 883 series is different from the previous 883 10-288 release.

The new on is base on the original 7 cars sets, so all cars are 883 ribbed shells.

The older 10-288 set is base on the the original 5 car sets with 2x 885 smooth shell middle cars added in later years in an consist lengthening update.

Didn't think I'd want the new set having the older 10-288 set, but now I know they are different...

Edited by katoftw

That's right.

The old set 10-288 replicates the last built set AO18 (AO8 before being lengthened to 7 cars).

The new set will probably replicate set AO4 or AO5, as they wouldn't have to change the nose design from the old model. I hope it's gonna be AO5, as that's the one I rode. ;)

And I was just looking at the imperial train and ku5000s on buyee, glad I didnt pull the trigger.  30000 yen for an 11 car e235 set does seem pretty high compared to what the e233s were sold for a few years ago.  Why does the 6 car Ku5000 set cost more than buying 6 cars individually?

2 hours ago, Suica said:

Bang! Yes! Finally the Gamble paid off!

Hang on... isn't that price a little.... 28,500yen for the full 11 car set??? Tomix is giving 27,200yen for a limited edition 11-car set... or the 3 + 3 + 5 set...

Adding in 4 packs of TN couplers, (we need 20 for a full 11-car set) at 1500 yen per pack = 6000yen (to be more precise, it's 250 per coupler, so 5000yen)

That makes Tomix 32,200yen...

still more than the Kato though... but you get better looking couplers (TN ones are by far the best) and the Tomix interchangeable destination boards maybe?

Edited by cteno4
2 hours ago, Suica said:

Nice to see Kato will also release E235. I think we know that Kato always release special sets for E231-500 Yamanote Line such as roundhouse, suica, etc so I am sure they will do the same for this E235 sets. Although Tomix also did for 100th anniversary Tokyo station livery for High Grade set. But if the only difference is about couplers or interchangeable printed letters or numbers, then Kato I think has better bargain. Especially for those who don't want to bother with parts upgrading.

Sent from my ASUS_T00Q using Tapatalk

Edited by cteno4
1 hour ago, katoftw said:

Could be tempted on the DD51-800 in newer JRF colours.

I was thinking the same. Out of everything that caught my attention the most. I just wonder how well it will behave with my Tomix DD51 in the same scheme for double-heading. 

Oh ho is that an auto rack set I spy...?

Edited by nah00
2 hours ago, katoftw said:

Cannot say the Tomix Shibata couplers look better than Kato shibata couplers.  About 50/50 in my books.

The body mount ones just work better. They can get the cars flush on straights due to the kinematic mech. Kato bogie mount shibatas are not that great in this, very much how Tomix bogie mount shibatas work. On the other hand, the new european style Kato body mount butterfly kinematics on some newer sets do work nicely. The question is, which type the new set is coming with?

After looking at the prices on the Kato E235, I really wonder if the couplers will be like their previous E231-500s...

Which also makes me think if the Tomix ones have the exchangeable destination boards like what Tomix loves to include in their commuter trains... Then again, do Yamanote lines really have so much variations that require exchangeable destination boards?

Hard decision to make now, I want a E235...

20171106_151401.jpg

You cannot judge body mount vs bogies mount for functionality.

I didn't even know Kato did bogie mount shibatas.  All my Kato EMUs w/ shibatas are body mount, (except tilt mech models).

Although the original statement was about looks, not functionality.

Edited by katoftw
Das Steinkopf
2 hours ago, katoftw said:

Could be tempted on the DD51-800 in newer JRF colours.

Given I already have a Tomix High Grade DD51-800 in JRF renewal livery as well as the one from the Fairwell Kisei Freight Service I don't think I will be in a hurry to purchase the Kato versions since I already have both liveries.

Not really worth it in your case.  Two engines in two different liveries is enough.

I have the old livery DD51-842, so another -800 in the new livery would work for me.

4 hours ago, katoftw said:

I didn't even know Kato did bogie mount shibatas.  All my Kato EMUs w/ shibatas are body mount, (except tilt mech models).

These http://www.katomodels.com/n/kato_coupler_gray/

Pretty common on older sets. I like to install them on Greenmax models which do not support TN couplers. They couple a little tighter and look better than Arnold couplers.

4 hours ago, kvp said:

The body mount ones just work better. They can get the cars flush on straights due to the kinematic mech. Kato bogie mount shibatas are not that great in this, very much how Tomix bogie mount shibatas work. On the other hand, the new european style Kato body mount butterfly kinematics on some newer sets do work nicely. The question is, which type the new set is coming with?

The old E231 set came with body mounted couplers. I don't see why they would step down from that for such a model?