Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

The Izu Craile 651 Series will have the KiHa 85 interior lights, which probably means the interior itself is overhauled (as per Model Train Plus via Facebook).

However the description states:

※製品はKATOの651系を流用しますので、内装や屋根上機器の形状が実車と異なります。

• Like 1

Wow! 251 series! But its price seem to be jacked up quite a fair bit... luckily they still include the interior lighting though, and this time its LED. it's making me very tempted to get also...

That E4 old colour is kinda a surprise... Kato's E4 has a slight advantage of having the motor car still maintain its looks, whereas the Tomix one has the ugly motor being seem through the bottom window... the 8 car set price is only around 2000 yen difference from the 6-car basic 251 series...

That E4 old colour is kinda a surprise... Kato's E4 has a slight advantage of having the motor car still maintain its looks, whereas the Tomix one has the ugly motor being seem through the bottom window... the 8 car set price is only around 2000 yen difference from the 6-car basic 251 series...

They will release both the old color and the new color in august http://www.katomodels.com/n/e4kei_max/

What I find weird about my KATO E4 is that it only has 1 powered bogie. But it runs like a charm, even on slopes.

Edited by Yavianice

What I find weird about my KATO E4 is that it only has 1 powered bogie. But it runs like a charm, even on slopes.

Maybe it's time to get a spare chassis and replace the hacked variant you have?

Hacked? As far as I can tell, this is intentional (so the windows are not obstructed).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hacked? As far as I can tell, this is intentional (so the windows are not obstructed).

Not really. There should be a shaft between the seats transferring power to the other bogie across the car from one with the motor. If this is missing, then you only have one powered bogie.

Eeh... Those little RhB coaches gave me a little itch... They wouldn't go amiss on a generic mountain themed module...

serotta1972

Kato 08/17 releases

Time to finally get that Super View Odoriko.

Kato Train gods have been listening to your prayers Suica, can you request the E1 Old Color for me please.

• Like 2

Kato why do you torment me by releasing the E3 in the old Tsubaba livery and now rereleasing the E4 in the old color? Tomix better be rereleasing theirs soon or I need to start camping on Mandarake. 

Eeh... Those little RhB coaches gave me a little itch... They wouldn't go amiss on a generic mountain themed module...

Same here. Have gotten me thinking of rehashing an old Ntrak module with a mining branch that I haven't used for ten years into a Swiss/German theme module.

• Like 1

Looking at the prices for the newly announced RhB models and comparing them with those given in the Noch catalogue: http://media.noch.de/filestore/1/1/5/5/4_86f0937cba7be48/11554_5a896b62c52fefc.pdf

- Basic car set: Kato (¥7,200), Noch (€99.99);

- Expansion set: Kato (¥8,800), Noch (€149.99);

- Ge4/4 III: Kato (¥9,000), Noch (€199,99).

Now, even with the exchange rate and added EU VAT... That's just theft xD

• Like 2

Looking at the prices for the newly announced RhB models and comparing them with those given in the Noch catalogue: http://media.noch.de/filestore/1/1/5/5/4_86f0937cba7be48/11554_5a896b62c52fefc.pdf

The prices for the Hiawatha sets and locos seem a bit over the to too. I guess the German manufacturers can't have Kato letting their customers know what N scale trains should cost.

• Like 1
Das Steinkopf

I'm pretty tempted to get some of the RhB models especially since they are now offering the Ge4/4II which is one of the more classic RhB locomotives other than say the Ge6/6 Krokodil, I have always wanted to model the RhB but could never justify paying a fortune for the Bemo HOm models now Kato gives me that opportunity.

HantuBlauLOL

kato really should sell their trains by themself..

bring tomix too, lol.

I notice Modeltrainplus is advertising the new Kato RhB stock for pre-order. Prices seem a lot more sensible than those quoted by Noch!

Might buy one of the coach packs depending on how the pound to yen rate looks when they're released. I've seen photos of the Glacier Express with a handful of conventional coaches behind the observation cars.

Oh look the August KATO schedule release poster is out and I just want to roll up into a ball and cry.... My bank card is going to have a heartattack and my wallet is going to grow cobwebs. I have re-ordered the KATO E4 shinkansen (old colour) and a motor underframe unit to replace one that got burnt out years ago (not by me but from a former member of the club) 

There is a few other items I like there but I am going to limit myself on buying items this time. :)

I definitely think Kato have spies on the forum as someone is feeding them info to ensure they start making what I want or re-releasing those sets that everyone is keen to see again.

Great to see the new colour E4 Max Toki set. I imagine they were keen to get this out before all of these sets are withdrawn from service.  As I have said before, the hobby started for me with a Kato E4 starter set and despite all the newer designs and my avatar picture, it still my favourite shinkansen.

Hopefully JR East will have a change of heart and design a new twinned decked shinkansen as a fitting replacement.

I always thought tomytec was doing that as everytime I talked about something I was fiddling withnscratch building they would release it as a product shortly after. Now I keep my aluminum foil hat in when ever posting to the forum...

Jeff

Das Steinkopf

I would like it if Kato did a re release of their Koki 106's but in the earlier blue livery rather than dark grey, the first 404 wagons were in that livery and would go well with the new Koki 104's.

Not really. There should be a shaft between the seats transferring power to the other bogie across the car from one with the motor. If this is missing, then you only have one powered bogie.

I checked: My E4 does not have another shaft or opening for a second powered bogie. The bogie on the other side does have the shaft and opening for it. All bogies look exactly the same, too. I also found out that my version is from 2012, according to the box it came in.

I checked: My E4 does not have another shaft or opening for a second powered bogie. The bogie on the other side does have the shaft and opening for it. All bogies look exactly the same, too. I also found out that my version is from 2012, according to the box it came in.

If you would post a few photos that would be easier to determine what is missing. The idea is that all 4 axles of the motored car should be powered by the motor. One directly, the other through a long cardan placed between the seats. If some parts of the drivetrain is missing, that might be a problem. Did you get it as new or 2nd hand?

If you would post a few photos that would be easier to determine what is missing. The idea is that all 4 axles of the motored car should be powered by the motor. One directly, the other through a long cardan placed between the seats. If some parts of the drivetrain is missing, that might be a problem. Did you get it as new or 2nd hand?

New. I found a hands on video showing the engine car; it looks exactly the same as mine (at 1:16). I wonder if they will change it in the upcoming release.

Edited by cteno4
Fixed YouTube embed
  • Like 2