Modemo Kitbash

marknewton

Had some time to myself this evening, so I made the most of the opportunity and started work on a kitbashing project I've been thinking about for a while. I'm going to use the Modemo static model of the Enoden Type 100 car to build something similar to a Toyama District Railway 5010 series car. It'll be powered by a Tramway TW-MTR01 mechanism. The roof will carry a Tomix TDK-C pantograph.

So far, I've assembled the basic body and cleaned up parts such as the bogie/truck sideframes. The Modemo mouldings are very nice, but the feeds from the sprues to the parts are rather heavy, so they need a fair bit of cleaning up if you want a neat fit between components.

5563663459_5487a155d8_b.jpg

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1
Nick_Burman

Thanks Bill. I hope to do some more on it tomorrow.

Cheers,

Mark.

Mark, please keep us abreast of progress. The Enoden 100 series are nice cars but their inset trucks are very ugly...they give the cars a "knock-kneed" look... :sad:

Cheers NB

I will, Nick. I've got tomorrow off, and no housework to do, so some more modelling will be on the agenda.

I agree, the inset trucks aren't very attractive. I guess they're a carry-over from when the 100 series had deep stepwells for street-level boarding, and the trucks had to be set back to allow for an unobstructed swing on sharp curves. I'm debating whether to add stepwells to the model, or fit folding steps similar to the Meitetsu 510s instead. Either would look good, I think.

Cheers,

Mark.

Nick_Burman

Did the 100s have stepwells? Now that is something new...

I guess it depends on how much surgery you want to undertake on the model. Folding steps are easier.

Any idea on paint scheme? Chitetsu Shasui line?

Cheers NB

They did when they were new. I haven't found any photos online, but there's a few in books I have that feature the Enoden.

I agree, folding steps would be easier, but deep stepwells would make the cars look more like the 5010s, and would be more suited to the way I intend to use them. I'm undecided. 

I'm also undecided on a paint scheme. The Shasui line scheme is very attractive and distinctive, but at the same time I'd like these cars to be consistent with the rest of my fleet. Now that I've decided to go with "proto-freelancing", I want to have a paint scheme that looks completely and utterly mundane, and hopefully typical of a Japanese private railway. In my mind, the most typical paint scheme of the era I'll be modelling is orange and cream. I think this is what I'll be going with, but I suppose I'll have to wait and see how good it looks when I paint the car. What are your thoughts?

Cheers,

Mark.

Nick_Burman

What do you call "orange"? Real orange or some shade of red? You couldn't go more mundane than red and cream. Hokutetsu used it, Kotoden used it, Kashima Railway used it, Kanto Railway used it, Ibaraki Kotsu used it, the list is endless. Chitetsu had at least one MU set painted red and cream.

Looking in my copy of "Showa 30's" I noticed that green and brown seemed to be the two most recurrent train colours at the time. They came in various shades and could be seen either solid or in combination with another colour - usually cream but the descritption of cream is very variable as it ranges from a shade of yellow to cream proper. Meitetsu had salmon and brown equipment (shades of the old London & South Western Railway! :grin). I went for brown and cream because that's how Tomytec painted its "Tomii Dentetsu" (freelance) equipment, which doesn't stop me from slipping in some "odd-coloured" stock from time to time... :grin

Cheers NB

• Like 1
What do you call "orange"? Real orange or some shade of red? You couldn't go more mundane than red and cream. Hokutetsu used it, Kotoden used it, Kashima Railway used it, Kanto Railway used it, Ibaraki Kotsu used it, the list is endless. Chitetsu had at least one MU set painted red and cream.

I should have been more specific, Nick, because it's exactly that orangey-red colour that Hokutetsu & Chitetsu used that I will use as well. Great minds think alike, eh? :cheesy

Cheers,

Mark.

marknewton

Slowly but surely, my kitbashed Modemo Enoden car is progressing. I've narrowed the Tramway mechanism to fit inside the carbody, and temporaily fitted the roof and pantograph. The roof is only tacked in place using white glue, hence the rather obvious and ugly lumps of glue visible in the photo.

7326560240_570a5648cc_c.jpg

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 2
Nick_Burman

Juicy! Reminds me of Asahikawa #102, minus the trolley pole on one end.

Cheers NB

• Like 1

After looking at my Enoden kitbash for a couple I days, I realised I wasn't happy with it. Narrowing the mechanism caused the truck frames to project out from underneath the sides too far, making the car look odd. I should have widened the body! So what to do with it? It was too solidly assembled to split it apart and widen it, so instead I shortened it, and fitted it with a Masterpiece Brill 21E truck. Now that I have something that looks like a generic Japanese single-truck car, I'll probably fit a bow or "Z" collector, rather than a panto. The joins in the sides and the roof haven't been cleaned up yet, so they're still very obvious...

7183045885_09c73b74a0_c.jpg

7183045485_5ef80d0f5d_c.jpg

Cheers,

Mark.

bb, that's an option I hadn't considered. No.101 is a rather jazzy looking car, so on that basis I reckon I'll trial fit a pan and a bow collector to see which looks best.

Thanks for the link, too, there's some great images there. That Sanzan line is very scenic!

All the best,

Mark.