Information from eBay store Plaza Japan

FYI, I received this update email from Plaza Japan today.

To ebay store Plaza Japan customers,

As you may have noticed from the news, Japan has been struck by the

earthquake and tsunami on March 11 and we have been receiving words of

condolence from our customers all around the world.

Fortunately, we are located in Osaka which is 1,000km (600miles) away

from the earthquake and and all of our staff and family are fine without

any damage to our warehouse and office.

We also receive questions of delays in order when ordering at this

moment.

Everything is as usual at our area and we are operating as usual

(packages will be shipped from Kansai International Airport which is

located in our area).

As this disaster has made a big impact in the Japanese economy

(especially to the hobby industry), we look forward to your future

order and your continuous support at our store.

Best regards from Japan,

PlazaJapan

E-mail: plazajapan@sunny-life.net

Ebay Store: http://stores.ebay.com/plazajapan

• Like 2
lordwinslow2

Just made a big purchase for my first japanese items from Plaza Japan! 

What you pick up?

Winslow

A centram, 4 packs of 103mm curve track, and a pack of fences.  About $100 all together but I suspect I'll get a decent shipping refund once it's posted.

I got one of those emails too, and I decided that even though I was conserving money due to several pending HS preorders, there were some scenic details I didn't really need yet, but which I was going to get sooner or later. So I might as well give PJ some business now.  I ended up spending over $100 on a mix of Tomix and Greenmax lineside details, guardrails, telephone poles, walls and similar stuff.

Web-based stores are dangerous things.  You just keep clicking "yeah, I want that" and it adds up.  :grin

What an odd way to get customers by telling them, don't worry we are far away enough from the trouble. Horror marketing... but it seems to work well for them.

Some sad news here for HW

Notice of Store Closure

We closed our business on Friday, March 18, 2011.

As notified here before, all of pending orders have been cancelled.

If any inconvenience occurs,

please contact Mr. YOSHIDA at hwj@mail.aoshima-bk.co.jp,

but please note that we no longer accept any order.

We really appriciated your support all these years.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

HW JAPAN Staffs

What an odd way to get customers by telling them, don't worry we are far away enough from the trouble. Horror marketing... but it seems to work well for them.

As I mentioned on the earthquake thread the tourism business here in Queensland in suffering because overseas tourists have the perception that the whole state has been wiped out by floods and cyclones. Most people would have the same idea of Japan because the media is only mentioning the doom and gloom from the Tohoku region. I don't think PJ are using the disaster to win more business rather they are assuring their existing customers that they are still open for business.

They sent me the same email, and I'm glad they did. There were a few things I was going to order, but after the earthquake, I decided to wait and see what happens. Now I know that things with PJ are fine, and I can go ahead and order. But I'm still afraid that maybe my order will take up shipping space that could be put to a better use in this disaster.

I don't think you need to worry about that.  The important shipments will be inbound supplies.  A train order outbound will likely take space that wouldn't be used for other things.  There's a chance some transport within the country might be used by both, but I suspect most things related to disaster aid aren't being sent by post, and if they are it's a pretty safe bet the Japan Post has a way to prioritize emergency supplies over ordinary commercial parcels.

lordwinslow2

Well things are starting to get back on track.  An order I had in with Hobby Search before the earthquake, just got confirmed and they accepted my paypal payment on Friday (well Thursday night my time).  Should be shipping soon. 

Winslow

lordwinslow2

Just got a shipping confirmation from HS, should be here by the end of the week.  Also thinking of putting in an order with plaza japan...been eying the Narita Express for a bit...

Winslow