Airport layout....Amazing!

I saw this at another forum and had to post it here. I never saw anything like this...incredible!

• Like 4
CaptOblivious

I particularly like the gangway to nowhere!

Seriously, though, that's a disgusting amount of detail and automation. Is that actually part of Miniatur Wonderland? Do airplanes actually taxi and take off, or is it just the same planes always doing touch-and-go? I can't quite tell from the video.

• Like 1

i totally want that for my layout, granted it would dwarf my entirely. makes my entire line looks like a parking train shuttle. It' doesn't appear to be a jetway to nowhere, this video shows the terminal is underground below the jetways.

CaptOblivious

Holy cow, it's not a couple of planes doing touch and go. They really are simulating airport operations down to a very fine-grained level. Yow!

Looks to be HO scale from the video I found. I like the fact that they have FIDS monitors that work inside the scale model the terminals.

Wow!  Are they using the Faller Car system for taxi'ing?  Amazing work.  The camera work is pretty awesome as well!

CaptOblivious

Wow!  Are they using the Faller Car system for taxi'ing?  Amazing work.  The camera work is pretty awesome as well!

I thought they were, until the designer talked about tweaking the turning radius of each aircraft individually, which makes me wonder if they are.

they use the faller system along with a dcc type of remote control for all the vehicles to allow centralized control of each vehicle!

man HO does have it advantages on what you can do, but you need huge amounts of space!

if you want an airport thing T scale, lots of jet planes and even herpa airports available in 1:450 scale! you can do a full airport in 10'

cheers

jeff

Martijn Meerts

When I was there for a visit years ago, they were already working on the airport. They were at the starting phase of testing technology back then. They probably spent about 5 years working on it, and it's still not done (the video is just a test run without visitors). It's also cost them a couple million Euro's so far ;)

They are using the Faller car system extensively throughout the layout, but they made a lot of adjustments. All cars (and now planes) have electronics added to them for lighting, and also to check battery levels. If battery levels get too low, they'll automatically make their way to to a recharging station.

As for the size. If you want to see all the small details of the layout, you'll likely need to stay at least 2 days, there's just too much to see. Also, the behind the scene tours is interesting, as they have some major hidden yards, 1 of which can store a 15 meter long train.

Impressive! Very impressive and way better than the one the made at Loxx in Berlin.

I'd like to have one but I'll never have enough money and space for it.

I can't imagine the planning & research that was done on this project before they even started building.

You need an engineering degree from MIT just to operate this layout!

It would also make a great simulator for future air traffic controls to train on.

Very impressive!

Funny thing is, watching this video reminded me of "Thunderbirds"!  :grin

Cheers,

Mark.

Better make that part of my trip for my honeymoon.  :grin

hey congratulations fat al! hope she likes trains!

cheers

jeff

Better make that part of my trip for my honeymoon.  :grin

hey congratulations fat al! hope she likes trains!

cheers

jeff

She doesn't, actually. But luckily for me, she likes toys, so Miniatur Wunderland would be right up her alley.