E657 - Joban Line

bikkuri bahn

CaptOblivious

The E656 is not a typo :) Carriages of the E657 series might be numbered E657 or E656...this is standard practice. 485 series carriages, for example, might be numbered 485 or 484; likewise for nearly every other JR MU.

Nozomi4ever

The E656 is not a typo :) Carriages of the E657 series might be numbered E657 or E656...this is standard practice. 485 series carriages, for example, might be numbered 485 or 484; likewise for nearly every other JR MU.

MOOO!! :grin:cheesy:laugh:

Very sexy looking consist.  The white and magenta colour scheme is really striking and reminds me of the Holiday View Yamanashi.

Cheers

The_Ghan

10-car consist? It's huge! No splitting at intermediate stations either?

The thunderbird allowed this and split at Kanazawa whilst on it's way to Toyama/Wakuraonsen? I take it this consist isn't to replace that?

There's like, what, four windows in the green car? What's taking up the other half?

A wheelchair-accessible bathroom, a multipurpose room, and a room for prepping the bento cart (according to Japanese wikipedia).

Very sexy looking consist.  The white and magenta colour scheme is really striking and reminds me of the Holiday View Yamanashi.

That most definitely is *not* white.  Bet almost anything it's a very light pink.

Very sexy looking consist.  The white and magenta colour scheme is really striking and reminds me of the Holiday View Yamanashi.

That most definitely is *not* white.  Bet almost anything it's a very light pink.

are you saying the yamanashi is not white or the e657 is not white???

as both are white with the coloured stripes ?

Apparently these units (E657) are painted in a very faint pink color, a nod to the plum blossoms Mito City is famous for.  Depending on the lighting conditions, it may appear to be just white, I suppose.

are you saying the yamanashi is not white or the e657 is not white???

as both are white with the coloured stripes ?

e657 is not white.  I opened the photo posted above showing the e657, e653 and e531 in Photoshop, then I took a color sample from the nose of each (in an area not obviously in shadow or highlight).  Here are the results:

e531:

R: 201

G: 205

B: 206

e653:

R: 135

G: 155

B: 162

e657:

R: 198

G: 193

B: 189

(Edit: quick clarification, the e653 color is from just behind the nose, where the main body color starts.)

It's not always reliable to measure color from a photo but this photo at least lets you compare three different trains, the nose of one of which definitely *is* white (or is supposed to be).  So from the e531, you can surmise that the white balance on this camera is set very slightly cool (to blue).

The e531 shows up as slightly blueish white in this photo, the e653 a blueish grey, and the e657 a very slight pink.

The other photos show the same.  Some look even more dramatically pink, but this comparison shot makes it easy to prove that it's not just a trick of the white balance on the camera.

fair enough must be my monitor looks completely white to me

Lets not forget that colour settings on a camera and on a computer screen can vary, as well as those on human retinas (especially as one becomes older). However have a look at this Wiki article, noting 'Design'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E657_series

Angus :))