E657 - Joban Line

bikkuri bahn

That's a nice one--the sides are a bit plain (could use a more interesting paint scheme), but the cab design is eye-catching.

Mudkip Orange

Color is poopy though. White and fuchsia < the blue/green commuter EMUs, as well as the old skool 485 type beige and crimson lookin' things.

Color is poopy though. White and fuchsia < the blue/green commuter EMUs, as well as the old skool 485 type beige and crimson lookin' things.

Agreed, JRE has some express liveries I really like, this doesn't look like it will be one of them.

Two drive-bys (ride-bys?) from the Katamachi/Gakkentoshi Line.

by JRwehksf

by 3000keihikobosi

Color is poopy though. White and fuchsia

Sometimes I think JR East is stuck in the 1980s. :-P  But they did OK with the E751s at least, so it should be possible to try non-Miami Vice colors.

• Like 1

I'm going to have to disagree.  While this one isn't the most original color (it looks a bit like the Akita E3, but not exactly), I kind of like the simple white/red color scheme.  It's understated compared to the Fresh Hitachi, but not really all that different.

edit: corrected typo

personally, i'm kind of sick of the stereotypical white train/bus with a color stripe. im glad to see buses here finally being painted other than white. and even happier when i see trains that are not white or silver. silver is getting old too. one of the reason why i like the trains in kansai like the osaka loop line is that they are a solid color other than white.

personally, i'm kind of sick of the stereotypical white train/bus with a color stripe. im glad to see buses here finally being painted other than white. and even happier when i see trains that are not white or silver. silver is getting old too. one of the reason why i like the trains in kansai like the osaka loop line is that they are a solid color other than white.

Yeah, I like the cherry red Meitetsu and orange/purple Kintetsu trains we get here in Nagoya.

Mudkip Orange

im glad to see buses here finally being painted other than white.

Seattle has some pretty nice bus colors.

I also like the aesthetics of their new(er) trolleybuses. Basically a Gillig Phantom body on a rebuilt AMG chassis... those old 60's/70's trolleys proved to be pretty indestructible, save for the exterior wear and pervasive urine smell.

post-161-13569927365185_thumb.jpg

post-161-13569927365382_thumb.jpg

post-161-13569927365531_thumb.jpg

post-161-13569927365696_thumb.jpg

According to that blog, these were supposed to be transported from Kinki Sharyo down to Hitachi's facility in Yamaguchi Prefecture.  I'm still not seeing pictures or videos of that in the usual places, does anyone know if it's still in Osaka?  Also, what will be done by Hitachi?  Seems like a lot of running around, ultimately these will have to go to Tokyo.

bikkuri bahn

Apparently, it will be mated with the other half of the trainset, which is being built by Hitachi.  This is one of those shared orders.

Some scenes of the transport of this half set yesterday. At Tokuan Station:

On the Tokaido/Kobe Line, Sakurasyukugawa Station in Nishinomiya:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0se7NCMbMhE

Apparently, it will be mated with the other half of the trainset, which is being built by Hitachi.  This is one of those shared orders.

Ah, I see.  I wonder what the logic is behind each builder making half of the set.  I believe the 7 cars of Dr. Yellow are built by 3 different manufacturers, although that seems like a more special case.

Would be interesting to see some of these train builders when visiting Japan - does anyone have a list of where they are and if they are visible from the local area or road or even a passing line? If no one has a list - possible new thread to build up a list?

Would be interesting to see some of these train builders when visiting Japan - does anyone have a list of where they are and if they are visible from the local area or road or even a passing line? If no one has a list - possible new thread to build up a list?

The place where these 5 E657 cars were built is just east of JR West's Tokuan station on the Katamachi/Gakkentoshi Line, which is 3 stops from Kyobashi on the Osaka Loop.  I've attached a picture I took there in July 2006 of JRW's 321 series in progress.

post-324-13569927371961_thumb.jpg

Here's one of several videos in my subscriptions feed of the first complete E657 set on its way to JR East property.

Looks good.  I like to see it behind this EF510-500.  The half of the train built at Kinki Sharyo has already got a lot of miles on it!

• Like 1
Nozomi4ever

Here 's the update...

The interior views of the E657.. The interior design is growing on me.. (I will add two more pics of the exterior as well as it wouldn't kill... :laugh:)

(Photos and writeup , courtesy of Quashlo)

110615n001.jpg

110615n002.jpg

Green car interior

110615n011.jpg

Standard class interior

110615n012.jpg

Standard seating. The seat pitch is 960 mm, an increase of 50 mm compared to existing E653 series. Lighting is white. Cars also feature static electricity-absorbent air purifiers and ozone deodorizers. Air conditioning has separate vents for each seat, so each passenger can control the direction and force of the air. In order to attract business users, seats also feature large tables for laptops, power outlets, and WiMAX broadband coverage.. :grin

Car Number 5, multi-purpose room (left) and food preparation room (right)

110615n015.jpg

Car Number 5 with wheelchair-accessible restroom

110615n014.jpg

driver 's cockpit (Looks a typo with the E656 if you notice it clearly :grin:cheesy)

110615n013.jpg

Cheers

Chan

• Like 3

Well, I like it.

For those complaining about the exterior color, it's actually not hugely different from the current E653's, which seem to be painted in either a light grey with a pink stripe or a light grey with an orange stripe (unless one's just a faded version of the other - on the train I rode on my last trip, one section was one color and the other section the other color).  I definitely can see the light pink base on the E657 - it doesn't look white to me - and I'm secure enough in my manhood to admit that I like it better than plain white :)

I'm not sure about the interior and I don't really like the interior of the E653 either - it looks very dark in practice, with all those black seats (both trains are pretty close).  Although it does seem like they're at least making the green cars real green cars, which the E653 doesn't really seem to have in anything but name.

I'm attaching a couple images of the E653 I rode a few weeks ago.  The section pictured had the orange stripe; I unfortunately didn't get a shot of the other section with the pink stripe.

post-405-13569928498906_thumb.jpg

post-405-13569928499356_thumb.jpg

I like the colours ... I'm all for colour!  I just wish they'd get the hang of the idea here in Australia.

Cheers

The_Ghan

driver 's cockpit (Looks a typo with the E656 if you notice it clearly :grin:cheesy)

I don't know what's behind this, but a given series seems to include n-1.  Look at this JRW example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/223_series#8-car_sets

Some end cars are 222s, not 223s.  ???  A quick look at wikipedia shows that this applies on JRW 225, JRC 313, JRE 257, JRK 817, etc etc.  Lots, actually, but not all.  Must be an old JNR thing if they're all still doing it.  JR Shikoku seems to use round 4-digit numbers these days, 1500 series, 8000 series, etc.