Keio train equipped with antigroping cameras

TOKYO — Keio Electric Railway Co on Monday introduced surveillance cameras in one of its trains in an attempt to combat commuter groping. According to Keio, which operates trains linking Shinjuku with the western Tokyo suburb of Hachioji, four cameras were put in the ceiling of one of the 10-car trains on the Keio Line.

The locations of the cameras, which are in car No. 6, were decided based on reports about gropings blamed on “chikan” (perverts), Keio said. The railway plans to install surveillance cameras on another train this month, it said.

The Metropolitan Police Department said 86 known groping cases were reported on the Keio Line last year, making it the worst railway for riders.

Keio is the second railway to adopt onboard cameras. East Japan Railway started using them on the JR Saikyo Line in December 2009, according to the transport ministry.

The cameras record images while the train is in operation, Keio said, adding they could be handed to police as evidence.

“We have decided to introduce surveillance cameras based on a police request,” a Keio spokesman said. “But we will carefully consider how we should expand surveillance because privacy issues are involved here.”

http://www.japantoday.com/category/crime/view/keio-trains-equipped-with-antigroping-cameras

• Like 1

It's a good advertisement for Japanese society that they haven't needed cameras until now, and then apparently just for 'chikan', not to condone that offense, but none of the muggings and assaults that we need ours for. :sad:

bikkuri bahn

*maybe this should be merged with gmat's earlier post on the same subject (?)

Anyway, apparently the Keio Main Line is one of the most problematic lines for these incidents, along with the Saikyo and Chuo Lines.  (I suspect crowding and stopping patterns have something to do with this).  With the installation of cameras on the Saikyo Line, groping incidents have dropped there.

Regarding passenger crimes, there was a recent program (kinda like "Cops"), where railway staff and police went after a man suspected of pushing emergency stop buttons on station platforms in the Omiya area, disrupting the operation/schedule of trains. 

I was on a train once and this old guy was touching this young school student I have him an evil glare and shook my head he got off next stop and stopped immediately.

My wife says she had it happens 3 times and she grabbed there hands and yelled out loud and the guy got taken away.

There's a movie named even so I didn't do it about the legal system in regards to this I suggest to watch it very good

I was on a train where the young school student were grabbing me. I didn't like it cause I was afraid they were trying to steal my camera or were going to try and blackmail me. Both of which also are both common occurrences in Japan., well the blackmail, IDK about them trying to steal my camera. I'm pretty overprotective about my gear.