session timeout

Are other folks getting  a session time out when they try to submit a post? it seems if i dont submit the post within a bout a minute of starting it (have to type really fast) im getting a session time out message and have to hit submit again.

im on safari 5.0.3. have not checked in firefox as i usually use safari. could check if needed in firefox.

just curious

jeff

Martijn Meerts

I actually have the same problem, had it for quite a while too. Not many people have had the issue, and considering there's an easy workaround (hit submit again ;)) we've never really tried to figure out what's going on. The switch to a new system is likely to fix this problem though.

ok took out all cookies (usually have them well pruned and thought i had tried cutting the jns specific ones, but maybe i missed one... test test test

nope just did it again.

its your session timed out while posting so im wondering if its something when the post command is being sent and the socket times out. the post before went thru w/o it...

jeff

CaptOblivious

Extremem dislike.

This problem actually kept AlpineAustralia from being able to use the site at all from his home computer, although it worked without a glitch at work. We cleared out everything, but couldn't make it work for him :(

More impetus to move to a new system, for sure.

well its not horrible for me really, just wanted to mention it to see if it was just me or others too. all to many times when some one finally reports a bug to me in software and im trying to figure out if its an odd system specific one and then finally a bunch of others say oh yeah i have seen that too but never said anything about it...

otherwise things are working fine for me!

cheers

jeff

actually on a mac, but no extensions currently turned on. have used some picture loading ones in the past, but they have been turned off for a long time.

actually last three posts have not given the timeout... go figure, Murphy has to put his toe in.

jeff

safari 503 (see the start of the post).

timeouts not happening since for most of the posts today. much better than most days. usual bug report then it goes away... hate those... tooo many years of going up to the test lab to review some of the bugs i could never find with the testers and they not being able to get them to happen...

ha spoke too soon it just did a TO on this post

cheers

jeff

Martijn Meerts

It seems fairly random at the moment, no clue what's causing it really. It's not the browser, since people have had it happen on multiple browsers. It's not the hardware either, since people have mentioned suddenly getting the problem without having switched to a new machine.

Anyways, I'm going through the templating system in MyBB, and trying to get some inspiration to modernize the site some. Mostly looking at existing templates which I can adjust a bit for our use.

Martijn Meerts

Nope, I've had the time outs on various providers and even in different countries ;)

nope no current plugins with safari here. ive got fios fiberoptic with a 15mps dedicated connections, i have very few ip issues generally with the fios isp.

cheers

jeff

Perhaps its an issue with browser add-ins?

Cheers

The_Ghan

Things have been fine for me on the forum in general. i hit your post that i think ran the mysql tweaks that the captain was doing, but no lasting issue, was able to get around the bad reference and get to the post.

kudos to the managers for keeping things running so well!

cheers,

jeff

Another idea is to jack up your browser security settings and see if, for any security reason, the forum fails to load.  These things can be so difficult to pin-point.  Also, try a browser you've never used before. Make JNS your first port of call and see how you go.  Also, I presume you've taken care of Java, Flash and the like???

Cheers

The_Ghan

well on safari you cant jack up the security settings. all the basic settings are there that should allow anything jns want to do to do. basically things were not changed in the browser settings over the time that the timeouts started happening. they are also random so i doubt its any setting as if it were i would probably have all posts get a time out. managers have found it on different system permutations and seem random elsewhere.

my bet is something to do with a combo of forum software settings, server settings, server load, and perhaps even the server host switch system thats, when occurring in the right permutations,  socket to be dropped and thus time out.

these random bugs are the hardest to ever figure out...

good news is this is not a real nasty problem to using the forum!

jeff