JR Kyushu to operate luxury 'Cruise Train' services

Martijn Meerts

Wow, would love to do something like that, even if the price is a bit steep. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure it's all inclusive, with high quality food and everything. I wouldn't even mind paying for it, but as I wouldn't be traveling in expensive clothes, I guess I wouldn't fit in with the rest of the crowd =)

rainman1 at 07:10 AM JST - 2nd March

@tokyovistor: Well said - that is excatly what it will be. Their target market will be 'Rich Chinese' as stated. NOT poorly paid whingeing English teachers who seem to dominate this forum and slag anything off that costs a little bit of money or anything that has a luxury element and doesn't cost less then 5000 Yen. @ speed. jason6 and laguna. You are all missing the point and no one is asking YOU or forcing YOU to take this train.

Sounds like this "rainman1" could be someone on the forum here  :grin

The Trans-Siberian can be $500/day or much more depending on class of service; I think Paris - Istanbul on the Orient Express is more than $1,000/day.

I wish them better luck luring rich Chinese than Queensland Rail had luring rich Americans and Germans with its Great South Pacific Express. It lasted a full five years before QR and joint owner Orient Express realized it was an absolute financial disaster. 20 of the 21 cars with exquisite interiors handmade by the craftsmen at QR's Townsville workshops have been gathering dust in Ipswich shops since 2003 because of argument over who owns them, while the 21st car is apparently in somewhere in Italy where it went to see if they could be modified for operation in Europe.

There is a 'round the island' tourist train operated in Taiwan as well but considerably cheaper at about US$58.

I wish them better luck luring rich Chinese than Queensland Rail had luring rich Americans and Germans with its Great South Pacific Express.

It seems to me that the key problem there might have been… that it was in Australia:grin That's an awful long way to go for a train ride.

On the other hand, Chinese can hop a plane in Shanghai and be in Kyushu in 2 hours or so.

bikkuri bahn
Sounds like this "rainman1" could be someone on the forum here

Well, it's not me, but I share the same sentiments.  The expats here in Japan are not just whingers, they are incredible cheapskates to the point of being certified.

Well, it's not me, but I share the same sentiments.  The expats here in Japan are not just whingers, they are incredible cheapskates to the point of being certified.

having said that it's not like they get great pay or anything :p

Martijn Meerts

I think one of the problems is that most people don't travel for the sake of traveling anymore, but they travel to get to their destination, and they want to get there as fast as possible and as cheap as possible. If you travel for the sake of traveling, this specific trip is really not all that expensive.

I think one of the problems is that most people don't travel for the sake of traveling anymore, but they travel to get to their destination, and they want to get there as fast as possible and as cheap as possible. If you travel for the sake of traveling, this specific trip is really not all that expensive.

And I don't know about the rest of us, but as a railfan I'd rather ride the regular trains and see more of the real railway. My choice would be to buy a bento and catch the all stops local.

• Like 1

I think one of the problems is that most people don't travel for the sake of traveling anymore, but they travel to get to their destination, and they want to get there as fast as possible and as cheap as possible.

Most of people do.

The problem is lack of time, if you have only 2 or 3 weeks in Japan, you would maybe move fast to see a lot of different places rather that staying a long time in the same spot.

It's a choice. I've travelled for about 4 months in Japan, never spent more than 3 days an the same place (except Tokyo & Kyoto) and most of the time only one night. It was stressful, I probably missed a lot of things but I'm proud to say I've been almost everywhere. It's kinda cool.

Same when we went to the US withe my girlfriend: more than 5000km in 3 weeks, we rode a lot but seen everyday a new place.

I would also love this train trip if it wasn't so expensive, it would be the exact opposite of my previous trip: relax and observe. :-)

But I guess I could only go alone: "Why do you want to spend 3 whole days on... a train?!"  :laugh:

bikkuri bahn

The whole point of a "cruise" train is to loll about while eating good food and sleeping between destinations.  The target is rich old folks with plenty of time on their hands, obviously.  I'm like westfalen, I like to ride the locals more than anything else, it lets you see more of the local scenery, the local people going about their business, and most importantly from a railfan perspective, the operations of that stretch of railway on the base operational level (with plently of photo ops of through trains).

having said that it's not like they get great pay or anything

Point taken, but nobody's forcing them to work here- I hear Saudi or some other Middle East hothouse has high paying jobs. Trains and social life suck though :grin

Martijn Meerts

I like all trains, whether they're fast or slow makes no difference ;)

This cruise train is definitely something I'd love to do. On the other hand, grabbing the E5 in GranClass is quite inviting as well.