C56

bill937ca

Ahhh.. Oigawa Railway. They have the best collection of old rolling stock. If you're ever in Japan then catch the Shinkansen to Hamamatsu or Shizuoka and then a local to Kanaya. The Oigawa railway starts there and runs up to Senzu.

I first went there with a broken camera and they had a C11 in steam but under maintenance... The station master said it wasn't running... until I was on the return trip from Senzu and passed it half way... no camera... no time... frustrated to say the least.

It's one of very few lines that runs steamers daily up to 70% of the year!

I wonder if they'll take foreign drivers... i'd live there in a heartbeat.

But otherwise... although twisty and turny the line is in good condition... although, with something that heavy pounding along, you'd hope they keep the track maintenance up.

Ahhh.. Oigawa Railway. They have the best collection of old rolling stock. If you're ever in Japan then catch the Shinkansen to Hamamatsu or Shizuoka and then a local to Kanaya. The Oigawa railway starts there and runs up to Senzu.

I figured someone would know the line immediately so I didn't post it.  ;D

Now, you will find many more here. An entire collection of Oigawa Railway.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=nukuri&view=videos

... although, with something that heavy pounding along, you'd hope they keep the track maintenance up.

Steven, C56s aren't that heavy at all, about 66 tons in steam. They were light line/branchline power with a maximum axle-load of about 10 tons.

http://www.kurogane-rail.jp/sl/ec56.html

Beautiful little engines, I reckon.

All the best,

Mark.