Brush jar

cteno4

Another nice, inexpensive ebay tool is a brush jar for $3

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nail-Art-Brush-Pen-Plastic-Cleaning-Bottle-Tool-Set-1X-/150491641517?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item230a0036ad

these little plastic jars have a few neat little features

• a screw lid

• a set of little clips to pop your brushes into to hold them soaking but not have the tips mashed on the bottom of the jar (big no no with fine brushes)

• a set or ridges along the bottom of the jar to run the brush over to help clean near the ferrule, again you dont want to mash the tip onto a flat bottom to clean the brush.

nice little all in one package at a decent price.

cheers,

jeff

When I opened up the link and saw the 1st photo, I said to myself, "Jeff, I'm looking at a plastic jar I can take from my wife's kitchen  :icon_scratch:...then I saw the 2nd photo with the clips inside the jar.....smart idea! :icon_sunny: "

Do you know of the clips can it hold an airbrush?

Ha gotcha! yep the clips and the little ridges at the bottom are worth the $3 bucks!

i kind of doubt this would hold an airbrush. the largest clip is about 6mm in dia for the center hole. the jar is about 6.5cm in dia and 10cm tall so maybe a bit small to keep upright with a small airbrush, but might work with a very small light one to immerse the tip or just use the center area and not try to clip it in.

clips are meant to hold small brushes. some of my nice tiny brushes have the fat triangle handles on them (to better fit into gorilla hands like mine) and they fit well in the space between the clips, just slip them in those spaces and rotate the handle 30 degrees to lock them in place.

i love this jar as when done with a brush in a particular paint i just usually wipe the paint off a brush with a rag then put it in soaking. then grab one thats been soaking and wipe it and swish it in a larger jar of water and wipe (repeat as needed). much faster to get the remaining paint of out the brushes after soaking a while than trying to clean right after use and the clips keep the tips from being bent. if im continuing to paint the same color but want to want to do some thing else ill just let the brush soak then wipe it once then start painting with the same color again. with thick craft acrylics there no real contamination from the tiny bit of wash water that might be left on the tiny brushes.

im tempted to get a second just for the swish jar and remove the clips just to use the ridges as its hard to swish on the ridges while a few brushes are soaking. micromark sells a little round metal grate made from rod stock that you can plop in the bottom of a jar for a brush cleaner, but they want like $8 for it and its metal so will probably start rusting at some point!

i am also tempted to try plunking the whole unit in the ultrasonic cleaner to see if it will clean out the little bit of paint that tends to eventually accumulate next to the ferrule. never tried ultrasonic cleaning on paint brushes and im thinking it should be ok so im going to start with an older brush that has some build up and see how it works and see if the brush holds up after the cleaning. this jar/holder is perfect for this if it works!

cheers

jeff