Catalogs - Kato vs Tomix

The_Ghan

I have copies of both catalogs and while I agree that more English text (or any!) would be awesome, the pictures are what I buy it for!  :grin  I also agree the maps in the Tomix catalogs are really a nice touch...I only wish the maps were slightly larger as I can't obviously read the Japanese characters for the city names, and don't know the geography well enough to know the context (at least beyond Tokyo Bay!).

The topic of model railroaders parochial focus on their local railroading....I agree with a lot of others that its a shame that they limit their interests to the hobby to such a narrow area, but it is their hobby, so live and let live.  On the other hand, what I really value about this forum is that this is probably the truest international forum (despite the obvious Japanese focus) and the open-mindedness and appreciation for trains and model trains from all over the world that makes this something special.  I sincerely hope that our forum administrators and leaders keep with this tolerance of non-Japanese discussions as it is what makes this forum truly the best in my mind.

I also share bikkuri bahn's (which is an awesome handle by the way!) scenario that maybe a torch for model railways can be passed to a new generation that is more relevant and exciting than that which predominates the hobby today.  I'm chronologically past the 'over 40' mark, but I can get excited about this hobby when the focus is on the technology, the 'heavy metal' of freight, the speed of HSR, the colors and diversity of fascinating systems all over the world...its an amazing hobby where you can design a world that you can touch and feel and share!!! What an awesome hobby this is! 

To increase that side of the hobby will, I think, require a bit of 're-branding' that the hobby can't just be about the 'banjo-music' rivet counting that seems to be the focus of Model Railroader and most forums.  Okay, that's my rant (yeah, I'm also a LITTLE annoyed at some of the self-righteous posturing of the Code 55, point to point, prototypical or nothing crowd...yeah, that's fine, but that's a miserable place to promote the hobby for someone who just got a train set and wants to be creative!).

But seriously...I see one more model railroad video with BANJO music I think I am going to vomit.  Yeah, the kids love that (end sarcasm). :grin

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I can't second quinn's comments more.  I'm always amazed that when Nik and I post something at the MR forum, 9 times out of 10 I get ripped about something.  I enjoy this forum because I've asked for, read about and shared knowledge of an incredible breadth of topics.  I always feel like I need to apologize when I ask about european things, layouts, etc, but I've always been grateful for the help.  This forum is awesome.

(AND, our 2011 Kato catalog is one the way....when can we get an E5?)

I can't second quinn's comments more.  I'm always amazed that when Nik and I post something at the MR forum, 9 times out of 10 I get ripped about something.  I enjoy this forum because I've asked for, read about and shared knowledge of an incredible breadth of topics.  I always feel like I need to apologize when I ask about european things, layouts, etc, but I've always been grateful for the help.  This forum is awesome.

If this was a typical forum the answer would be "The closest you can get is the Life Like E6, only CB&Q modelers would buy an E5" :grin

You should order the Tomix cattledog too ... you'll be glad you did!!!

Pretty soon I'll be posting some shots of the new layout I'm making.  I'm sure I'm making heaps of mistakes: for 1. it's my first Japanese layout, 2. it's my first go at a subway, 3. it's my first go at DCC ... and so on.  I also like this forum because people don't seem to be know-it-alls!  It is nice that no one seems to "own" the space and so may have such interesting viewpoints to share.

E5 gets released in March ... better get that order in !!!

Cheers

The_Ghan

In reality, it's the members here that make the forum...including yourself. The forum isn't limited to just Japanese trains, if you have a question about anything pertaining to Model trains ask it. I myself have a lot of European trains and still can't figure out how to put a decoder in a Minitrix Sir Nigel.  :grin

Keep up the great thread & posts guys, it's very interesting and educational reading  :icon_salut:

• Like 1

End of year is coming up! I can't wait to order the 2015 catalogs! Thanks for the above good read and discussions, and sorry for bumping an old thread!

Yes they do usually cost as much to ship as the catalog itself! Unfortunately no way around it unless your country has an importer that brings over volume in shipping containers. [sigh] we use to have two in the us, but no more...

Jeff

No it's still very nice to flip thru a catalog and drool/dream. Computer screen can't replace a nicely designed and printed catalog with the right content and setting -- the printed catalog can be a very good long term marketing tool for many still. I know the younger generations will piffle at the idea of holding something in your hand as being obsolete, but the monkey part of our brain will not change at all in the next 100,000 years no matter how much the culture does and that part of our brains likes touching things and doing things like turning pages and you can't trip those senses with a computer screen...

Apple has become what it is by understanding that even the technology interface needs to be great to the touch and eye as well as intuitive, talking first to the subjective. Go into an Apple Store and watch folks, they are caressing all the machines, you don't see that anywhere else in retail these days!

Jeff

• Like 2

I don't care whether Apple or not - it's nice not to stare at a screen *all* the time. One of my guilty pleasures is getting out some catalogues and flicking through them in my own little disconnected serendipitous world. And if I do need more information I can always find it online.

I'm with Jeff, for me having a printed catalog is a lot more satisfying than looking at a screen. The few Japanese catalogs I own have all proven to be very useful reference sources, too.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1

I found my Kato Catalog from the early 90's.  I got this from Franciscan Hobbies in SF where they would always have a Kato set or 2 and I think I bought most of them.  There were four trains I really like in the catalog and they were the Series 0 Shinkansen, Narita Express, Odoriko and 21000 Urbanliner.  I managed to get the Series 0 and Narita Express and also the 21000 but a Tomix version back then and I recently purchased the  Kato 21000 on Ebay and am anxiously awaiting it's arrival.  Also, I noticed the prices have really not changed since - that's amazing.

post-2776-0-77256600-1454081073_thumb.jpg

Edited by serotta1972
  • Like 1

I found my Kato Catalog from the early 90's.  I got this from Franciscan Hobbies in SF where they would always have a Kato set or 2 and I think I bought most of them.  There were four trains I really like in the catalog and they were the Series 0 Shinkansen, Narita Express, Odoriko and 21000 Urbanliner.  I managed to get the Series 0 and Narita Express and also the 21000 but a Tomix version back then and I recently purchased the  Kato 21000 on Ebay and am anxiously awaiting it's arrival.  Also, I noticed the prices have really not changed since - that's amazing.

attachicon.gifIMG_5621.jpg

Welcome to the land without inflation, well not much. Until the consumption tax was raised to 8% a lot of prices were exactly the same as they were when I was first here in the 90s.

• Like 2

Welcome to the land without inflation, well not much. Until the consumption tax was raised to 8% a lot of prices were exactly the same as they were when I was first here in the 90s.

On my first trip to Japan in 1990 it cost 70 yen to send a postcard airmail back to Australia, 26 years later it still costs 70 yen.  Anyone from Australia Post listening?

My biggest complaint about the Tomix catalog is that, unlike Kato, they list items not currently in production nor have been for years.  For example the #92149 Hokkaido Chihoku Rly CR70 diesel railcar, it is still in the current catalog even though I have been waiting for one since I rode the line a few weeks before it closed way back in 2006.

I finally gave in and got the new Kato and Tomix Catalogs. Lots of pretty colored pictures and lots of information unfortunately I can't read any of it but it's okay because Im happy just looking at all the beautiful pictures.

• Like 1
Psychiclord

I just purchased the 2016 Kato catalogue.

Is there an 'easy' way to translate?

It is a shame that Kato does not seem to provide a translation sheet for which I would be more than happy to pay a bit more.  

I've heard rumour on this forum of some kind of OCR translation app. You could also scan stuff and post here, someone might be able to translate it.

I guess the foreign market for Kato's Japanese trains is so miniscule it's not worth the effort (though ironically Japan-orientated Tomix do at least include some English in their catalogue).