Australia High Speed Links

keitaro

http://www.smh.com.au/national/fasttrain-study-consultant-favours-link-20110201-1acgk.html

Australia really needs these links along the whole eastern coat of australia. Some tool greens mp brown i think it was, thinks we should skip newcastle and speed up asessing the one to melbourne.

While that is also needed one to an area like newcastle is needed more as it has no access to airport and jobs and people are suffering up there becasue no business want to go there except those in manufacturing/mining.

melbourne and canberra can wait they have an airport that is relatively cheap as well approx $100 - $120 return via plane

We all would like to see it/them/that here... but as a human who has lived in Australia's capital for 27 years and now Melbourne, I can tell you that it wont happen.

The government will flit $20mil away again on pieces of paper. The standard arguments will apply: not enough population, too difficult land, not enough demand, damage to airline economy, etc...

Of course, I would work on the track gang with manual tools to see it built... but, for the life of me, I just cannot see them thinking for-the-greater-good of Australia and getting it started.

that was different topic for brisbane

i know it won't happen it's the govt way of giving a friend 20 million and making it look like they were really thinking about doing it

If you add up the money that has been given to consultants to conduct studies over the last 30 years we could actually afford to build it. This one will be forgotten like the rest and the next government will start a new one and give another consultant a comfortable retirement.

Mudkip Orange

Yeah Melbourne-Sydney via Canberra is the most obvious route in the history of obviousness.

Sydney-Melbourne is the 4th busiest air route in the world by number of seats, and the other three (Tokyo-Fukuoka, Seoul-Jeju, Tokyo-Sapporo) either have parallel HSR or are in the process of constructing it.

Skip the feasibility study and go straight to preliminary engineering.

Hey, is AE-COM hiring?  I want some of that cash that's being handed out- I bet alot of the stuff that will be in the upcoming "report" will be material you can just cut and paste from earlier ones :laugh:

But seriously, what is the deal with Anglophone countries and their vacillating/dithering on building HSR lines?  Either build the damn thing or just shelve it, permanently.

biggest problem is both liberal and labour governments are incompetent and waste money on everything possible. I'm pretty sure it's their mission statement in very fine 1 point text somewhere.

Mudkip Orange
Hey, is AE-COM hiring?

AECOM has been busy snatching up medium-sized civil consultants for some time now, so I have a couple friends who work for them (both were hired by different predecessor copmanies). They all say the same thing, top level management are idiots who come in and make "big decisions" to do "big things" with almost no knowledge of a specific situation, just some summary that an underling typed up and a couple balance sheets.

I love the E5 and I love the green colour to it. Not like most miami vice ones but the colour does suit it.

i'm sure that if it was projected to cost 10 billion it would cost labor 100 billion to make.

having said that this is on my list of trains to acquaire when i get a house and have a chance to make a large layout in a dedicated room  :grin

maybe 1 year away or more ...

just can't justify buying a 16 car shinkansen of any type that would almost connect to the front to the end on my layout HAH! :laugh:

Mudkip Orange

"Looking like an unfortunate, green swan with its head stapled to the floor" :grin

Truth be told, I could probably deal with an Aronofsky/Portman adaptation of the life and times of the E5.