Tool For Removing Burrs on Plastic Parts

Guest Closed Account 1

Guest Closed Account 1

Anyone have a trick to cleaning off the remaining burrs left on parts from the spruces?

I'm using a #11 blade that is curled near the tip like a hockey stick.

It helps remove a lot and therefore not much scratching is needed.

web,

i start with the micromark sprue cutter. was expensive but got it for like $25 on one of their sales. its gone up in price recently unfortunately. it really does clip very flush.

http://www.micromark.com/Patented-Cam-Action-Sprue-Cutter,6442.html

after that its either the old #11 blades and/or cheap dollar store emery sticks or the mini diamond files.

another deburrer i use are these kids of blades.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280419938982&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_2610wt_845

you can use them like a chisel and easier to keep from cutting into the piece. also excellent to clean off bits of glue that plop onto the desk surface!

you can also get micro ones that are #61 scalpel blades for getting in those tight spaces to shave stuff out.

cheers

jeff

Martijn Meerts

A good sprue cutter helps a lot. Also, I usually tend to leave a bit of the sprue on the piece I'm cutting out, and cut it as flush as possible with the sprue cutter after the entire piece is take out of the sprue. Bit more work but it tends to work better.

Other than that, just some sanding paper to smooth it out a bit. Some very fine sanding paper and a bit of water works great, as it doesn't mess with the color of the piece.

hmm maybe ill have to look at the xuron next time at curt's. i got the xuron rail nips after a lot of positive reviews and mine sucks to cut small metal rods with the blades deflecting some! i have several other similar nips here that do not deflect at all! perhaps just a bad luck on the draw on my pair...

i am ordering the xuron needle nosed pliers as they look to have a very fine point for tiny wire bending, but smaller than the current ones i have i hope.

cheers

jeff