Magnifying lens

Guest Closed Account 1

Guest Closed Account 1

Ar ar ar.

I found a $200 magnifying lamp on Amazon for $150 tonight. 

I have great eyes and it's just that N scale is very demanding. It'll be easier to clean up spruce stubs with the X-Acto Set under magnification than guestimating with the scalpel with the current desk lamp.

Having the right tool for the job is priceless.

Web,

which did you go for. i recently got this one

http://www.allbrands.com/products/abp22473.html?ovchn=SPRI&ovcpn=Froogle&ovcrn=Froogle&ovtac=CMP

and it is really amazing, i have 2 other ones currently and had a couple of others in the past and this one blows them out of the water. lamp is really bright and large 7" glass is great! best thing is the whole lamp/glass assembly is only 1" thick so it does not get in the way of working under it. retails for like $150 but you can find it for around $80 or get it for about $70 at acmoore with a 50% off coupon.

cheers

jeff

Web,

take a look at the natural light, its got a 7" lens which i find soooo much better than the 5". Main reason being i was getting neck cramps working under the magnifier and i found it was due to the fact that the 5" really only had one small sweet spot to both hold my hands and position my eyes to work, the 7" is much more forgiving and lets you see much more of what you are doing. I now use it on larger things which would have never fit under the 5" comfortably. also the thinness of the overall lamp makes it easy to move around under. the 28w florescent is really bright, maybe not as bright as a 100w halogen, but that may be a bit of overkill, that just an extra desk lamp will help with. the nice thing about the circular florescent is it illuminates all the way around your work area evenly.

at $150 i think thats a bit pricy for what you are getting...

cheers

jeff

BTW i got a floor led magnifier for the family room (about $35 with a coupon at acmoore) as i sometimes assemble tomytec buildings while watching tv with the wife and dog. not as grand as the 7" but good for quick things and its totally self supporting. well the wife jumped on it as soon as it was assembled and its now her knitting lamp and magnifier! so much for thinking i was so smart!

very close to this one

http://www.amazon.com/Fulcrum-LED-Magnifier-Floor-Lamp/dp/B00198RKF0

Guest Closed Account 1

It's a nice one . I just like the way mine will clamp to the desk frame and how bright it is.

Did this topic get moved out if the tools section?

web,

take a look at the other one i linked, its a desk clamp one just like the one you linked, just bigger lens.

yes, vincent snipped this into its own thread off the thread talking about doing the tools section which he is working on adding, then threads like this one on the mag lenses can go in their on their own. vincent is our pruner, trying to keep threads tight and combine those that are parallel so that we can have a better content structure to the forums. this helps when you go back and try to search and find things later. threads can easily wander and then make them hard to pull from later.

cheers

ejff

Guest Closed Account 1

Damn... My big secret scheme has been discovered.  :grin

I get it.

I am enjoying the new lamp. The Halogen lamp is wicked bright.  Fluorescents are good too. The twisty lamps will damage your eyes.

web,

great, never can be too much light! i have cheap ikea swing arm lamps on a lot of shop tool now! also a couple of halogen ikea swing arm desk lamps on the big hobby table to spot what im working on. my slowly failing eyesight really perks up with more light when focusing down on little things!

chees

jeff

Guest Closed Account 1

web,

great, never can be too much light!

Yes, that's true. Actually, I think the halogen softened the already delicate Diotown handrails in the city park. Missing one now. It's just there to prevent cars coming through the park.

Very much enjoying the new lamp when doing very fine work now.