Kato 2011 catalog, New level crossing and Unitram sets?

westfalen

Do they alrady make level crossing for double tracks?

There's two tracks on the picture, maybe it will be a dedicated one for double tracks.

There's two tracks on the picture, maybe it will be a dedicated one for double tracks.

The regular wood tie single track Kato level crossing (rerailer) comes with an optional center piece to let you chain 2 or more level crossings together (Tomix has the same thing, though the Tomix rerailer looks terrible).

The crossing gate looks more realistic than the previous Kato's offering.

That's because it's a picture of a real one. :grin

Their operating level crossing hasn't been cataloged for a few years now, the basic set was for single track with an add-on to make a double track crossing. The new one having different part numbers to the previous one lead me to think it is being upgraded somehow but the question is in what way?

The old one only worked with DC, not DCC (same as their signals).  Perhaps they've done something about that.

That's what I'm hoping seeing how Kato has embraced DCC in recent years.

The crossing gate looks more realistic than the previous Kato's offering.

That's because it's a picture of a real one. :grin

muahahahahaha

Oh I get it now, he was being sarcastic.

Seriously though, the old one was lacking a bit in the realistic looks department.

Guest Closed Account 1

Too Kool. Wow! I can can hold off on scratch building matching plates to blend the 6 Tram yard I to the Unitram layout. Unitram #4 switches or tighter will make the yard nice and small. I'll still attempt the scratch build anyway because that's what modeling is all about.

I am contemplating ordering a second Unitram Starter set for the extra straights and curves, and the controller. Just could not fit everything on my counter layout. With the double Unitram crossing, its very do-able.

I see a dueling figure eight.

Ya know, I had a similar vision of doing something special with the Unitram Catenary pole islands. Not many medians are bare, that we drive by. Graveled or planted.

Keep checking here for images.  http://www.1999.co.jp/search_e.asp?Typ1_c=104&scope=0&scope2=0&itkey=unitram

CaptOblivious

Kato Unitram:

40-801 V51 90 degree crossover

40-802 V52 Expansion Plates Straight

40-803 V53 3-Way Road intersection Straight Track

http://www.katomodels.com/n/unitram/

Available to reserve:

http://www.1999.co.jp/search_e.asp?Typ1_c=104&scope=1&scope2=0&itkey=unitram

Ah, the V53, on the right, alters the track spacing to match Unitrack. Very nice.

rpierce000

Guys, as soon as I get my pricing I will be taking reservations in the US on these. (V51, 52 and 53). I should have that by the end of next week.

Rest assured that I will match HS WITH shipping.

Bob

Looking at the sketches attached and posted at http://www.katomodels.com/cgi-bin/nmi_pictureview.cgi?id=unitram&num=10 explains a lot.  The V51 is the doubletrack crossing. The V52 contains 2 straight sections like the V54 and 4 smaller sections (126mm) that can be used on the long side of the oval or the short side, previously you could only extend the long side.  The V53 let's you transition from the narrow urban spacing to the regular 33mm spacing and cleanly end the urban section.  Our club, EPTC, had come up with a couple of ways to do that but it was never a clean transition.  Need to save my lunch money.

post-406-13569928164766_thumb.jpg

I can see a section of main line running down the middle of a street on a T-TRAK module. :grin

rpierce000

What I DON'T see is the ability TOMIX gives us to run Tram-Heavy rail-Heavy rail-Tram down a street. I have seen this in places and will be doing it using wide tram and wide track. There just is no side to side on Kato.

I also think that the new bus system gives Tomix the leg up.

On the other hand I think that Kato's system has much more realistic street pavement and painting. I wish that it came in USA side drive as well.

• Like 1

One of the folks at my LHS, who has a couple of Unitrams, said he'd heard from Kato USA that a US-marked version of the Unitram plates was expected before Christmas.

Several websites are listing the sets but the question I can't answer is how many transitions the V53 has in it, the item description says 2 plates though in unitramit would take at least 2 plates to make up that piece.

I would like to know more about these crossings that KATO is going to bring out as it will be something that I will buy when they are released, but also finding this topic of the V51-54 very interesting as I am starting to collect a few trams to add to the module layout.

Guest Closed Account 1

For the money its a deal compared to buying the current expansion plates.

V52 is double the tram track as V54.

With a switch I can instantly see how I can use the double or even a quad crossover on my Nrak layout.