Kato 2011 catalog, New level crossing and Unitram sets?

westfalen

My 2011 Kato catalog arrived from HS today and a couple of things in the 'coming in 2011' pages caught my eye, I haven't seen them mentioned anywhere so I'm either the first to notice or I've missed a post somewhere, I did a search and can't find either. Some Japanese speakers with the catalog may be able to elaborate.

On the bottom of page 22 appears to be a Unitrack level crossing. It has a different number than the old one so I'm wondering if they are bringing out a new version, will it be DCC compatible?

On page 23 there are three Unitram track sets V51, 52 and 53, the accompanying prototype photo shows unpaved track but otherwise I have no clues.

I've really got learn to read a bit of Japanese.

Hobby Dreamer
On page 23 there are three Unitram track sets V51, 52 and 53, the accompanying prototype photo shows unpaved track but otherwise I have no clues.

This is interesting!  I don't have the catalog but we currently have a loop and straights, both paved, so it may be unpaved sets or perhaps the crossover they displayed briefly last summer.

I'd be happy if it was track without the road part and ecstatic if it was a crossover.  And over the moon for a turn-out.

But I wonder if it may be single track?

Anybody know??

Thanks..

This is the picture.

The catalog numbers are

40-801 V51

40-802 V52

40-803 V53

I'll keep trying to decipher the Japanese, I can't see the katakana for points anywhere..

post-218-13569926973968_thumb.jpg

Hobby Dreamer

I noticed that only the Unitram sets with track have a "V" designation, so its not going to be an intersection without track etc.. Its not likely to be just track without the road part.

I can't see it being another surface such as grass or another paving. Last year Kato had some drawings of a tram track cross over intersection, and that makes total sense.

I'm thinking:

- cross over

- turnout

- intersection of tram track with a road without track, as in the photo

Why?  Because that would make total sense. Its all that is missing. I could see a single track series similar to what we have with double track, but that would just be another loop..

Here is an "old friend" that depicts some layouts with a combo of train and tram track.

http://jw_cad.fukurail.gozaru.jp/pattern/KATO/UNITRAM.html

I actually like the Unitram stuff, but I'm hoping Kato puts out a turnout so Tomix will. I like the variety of Tomix tram track - its just the track spacing that is a bit too wide for me.... I'll end up with a variety of both tracks, but that's OK. I got some trams about 12 years ago and have been waiting this long for track so we are all pretty lucky at what's out there especially given the economy..

Cheers

It's interesting to note that the new sets are numbered between the original set, 40-800/V50, and the straight add-on 40-804/V54, so whatever they are Kato must have planned them since the beginning.

We need one of our members in Japan who reads the language to pop down to the hobby shop and have a look at a catalog.

It's interesting to note that the new sets are numbered between the original set, 40-800/V50, and the straight add-on 40-804/V54, so whatever they are Kato must have planned them since the beginning.

We need one of our members in Japan who reads the language to pop down to the hobby shop and have a look at a catalog.

Or, instead of everyone speculating, maybe westfalen can scan the catalog text, as well as the photo, and post it here so others can try to read and translate it. I often share his frustration in not being able to read Japanese!

Rich K.

Or, instead of everyone speculating, maybe westfalen can scan the catalog text, as well as the photo, and post it here so others can try to read and translate it. I often share his frustration in not being able to read Japanese!

Rich K.

Thank goodness one of us is using his brains.

post-218-13569926974387_thumb.jpg

Lrt means light rail transport :laugh:

If no one has jumped in by the time my wife get home I'll get her to translate

Better yet, Keitaro....have her become a member then we can really bug her for translations!  :grin

(or that will really put you in the dog house)

ok so v51 is a + Crossover set maybe like the tomix piece

v52 is an straight extension set

and v53 seems to be either a siding or station set

my wife knows nothing about trains btw

Wow 14700 yen for V51 as a crossover?  Kato is really testing the limit.

I thought they were testing it all along with the Unitram track --4400 yen to lengthen an oval by 124 mm (5 inches)? But as a member of our club who bought some extension sets put it, "You're really paying for the city block."

Rich K.

Hobby Dreamer

Thanks a lot for the translation! Disappointed there is no turnout...

Wow 14700 yen for V51 as a crossover?  Kato is really testing the limit.

I don't know if the price is really that unreasonable. In all hobbies there are unrealistic expectations..  There always seems to be a loss of reality with respect to price for hobby items.

What would would it cost in terms of material and time to create this intersection with Tomix's forthcoming crossover? Or spakle? The Kato kit looks amazing and except for a few real artists no way is the average hobby guy going to be able to reproduce this look. If you get the equivalent Tomix track then get a suitable road material, then paint it, then add road markings then curbs etc.. It would cost a lot more especially in terms of time.

If you want a tram crossover embedded in a large urban road network that looks absolutely amazing suddenly Kato seems well priced. And if you want to expand or change the layout, everything in this Kato product line is compatible! Click-click, presto..

A good part of the price shock is the reality of higher oil prices and poor exchange rates.

I'm not a connoisseur but one can get a Kato 885 Sonic or a German ICE III, that look more or less the same. Delivered to my door the Fleisman (sp?) kit would be more than 3 times the price and I don't think the quality would be better nor does that train tilt.

Now that is obscene!  

I sent something to a friend in the UK and 2/3 of the cost was shipping. That is obscene too.  

Plastic is expensive.. There is an HO tram track that is not as bullet-proof as Kato and just the track would cost about the same or more for the intersection without the road part.. (I'm afraid to do the math because I think the HO stuff would be a lot more!)

Personally, the nature of 90 degree crossovers is that you cannot get close enough to enjoy them. At this level of quality I would be tempted to light the intersection and the lights, alone, would cost more than the intersection!

If you added (a suitable number of) lights, vehicles, figures and foliage to this intersection the actual track cost would appear quite small!  

Thanks again for the translation.  Its taken more than 1 year to go from a drawing of the intersection to having it in the catalog. Maybe 2012 will be the year of the turnout!

Im sure Kato has the turnout idea somewhere in their plans, but not sure when as they have taken a long time to design and roll out the unitram. turnouts will present some challenges as folks will probably want a double turnout and crossover configuration (ie a branch off from both lines) which will be a lot of parts with the two tracks, two turnouts, cross overs and at 25mm track spacing to boot... then make sure the trams can trundle through all the parts smoothly and w/o loosing power. im thinking this is going to take a while and be something like the large 90degree crossover and not cheap...

kato has still never upgraded the #4 points with a few tweaks that would greatly increase their performance. cost of re-tooling probably just does not make sense to do...

cheers

jeff

ok so v51 is a + Crossover set maybe like the tomix piece

v52 is an straight extension set

and v53 seems to be either a siding or station set

my wife knows nothing about trains btw

Thanks to Mrs keitaro for the translation.

I wonder how the V52 will be different from the current V54 straight pieces?

The V53 could be the most exciting if it is a siding but I'm thinking it might just be a straight section with a tram stop and shelters.

Here's the level crossing and accompanying Japanese text, any ideas?

post-218-13569926976892_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569926977282_thumb.jpg

Speaking of traffic lights, look what just appeared on HS

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10138136

And look at the price (the pair is fully functional with a timing circuit).

Whoa.  That is awesome! Price is about the same as some similar German streetlights (Faller or Busch, can't remember!), but they look 10 times better!  If only there were an easy way to reverse the lights for right hand driving I'd be spending too much on this.  Very nice, thanks for posting David.

Automatic crossing that's about it nothing special

Was hoping it might have mentioned DCC compatibility or something new to warrant a new catalog number.