CaptO's New Year's Layout

CaptOblivious

That's marvellous! And I think there will be no trespassing with the green railway guard of yours!

While looking for prototype shots I've also seen quite a number of similar scenes, like this one, for example:

IMGP9943nn.jpg

I don't know if it will help you though, as your tunnel has a definitely more modern design.

CaptOblivious

That's a really cool photo, Railmind. My portals are very simple kits made by Greenmax. Maybe for my next layout I will try scratchbuilding an old-style one like that one. It has such character!

I still think one can be made from the other. The shape is the same except for the name plaque on top, may be some styrene with brick imitation, I don't know if it's available, can do the trick.

The one best thing there's about this shot is the view of the tunnel walls and ceiling, do you think that a short tube beside the portal could drastically enhance the scene? The Greenmax kit is ok, it's what's beside that can be improved - and without too much effort.

The layout is looking awesome!  Are you gonna have a station on the lower level??  Love the little pathway too, reminds me of all the hikes my grandma made me do, where we would have to climb 100s of stairs just to get to some little temple.  I wish i could have appreciated the beauty back then, unfortunately i was an impatient little kid who did not want to be temple hiking.

CaptOblivious

The layout is looking awesome!  Are you gonna have a station on the lower level??  Love the little pathway too, reminds me of all the hikes my grandma made me do, where we would have to climb 100s of stairs just to get to some little temple.  I wish i could have appreciated the beauty back then, unfortunately i was an impatient little kid who did not want to be temple hiking.

Not enough space for a station at the bottom. Maybe in the future when we have room to expand the layout.

The path to the top was inspired by the climb atop Mt. Takao in western Tokyo. It's advertised as being an easy climb for the entire family, but the reality is that it is rather grueling. Of course, you could also just take the funicular to the top :D something my little layout won't have.

im assuming the pathway is going to be more than that green pathway?  you can add trees/shrubs on the side, maybe even a little old ancient staircase and temple at the top.  i wonder if they make models of these, that would be a cool thing to add because these are literally in every japanese temple.

kyoto13_l.jpg

CaptOblivious

Yeah, the light green is just to remind me where the path is :D I'll be giving it the "well-worn dirt path" treatment. Parts are steep and will need stairs; do you have any photos of old decaying stairs up mountains, subwayhypes?

The Tomytec shrine model I'm using has a very small...I don't know what you call it...well for washing your hands. It even has a couple of those ladle things molded into it, but the whole thing is very small and hard to make out.

stairways at temples in Japan are always made of stone and very short stepped, they arent "decaying" but some might show wear.  but they are always, always made of stone because they are usually outdoor paths between shrines, temples, living quarters, tourist shops. 

i love the japan countryside, its so peaceful. unfortunately whenever im in Japan im usually in tokyo partying and living the neon emblazed life, but its nice to get into the quiet countryside in japan, where there are rice patties everywhere and the busiest joint in town is the local convienance store or arcade.  you always see cool Japanese race cars (skylines, chasers, 240sx) rumbling off into the night going to race the Touge.  Sorry im drifting off.  Heres a few pics.

kibune_stairs.jpg

img9411987861332941448258.jpeg

Amy is doing all the forestry?! I have a little area in my layout that needs to be done, I call it Mt. Fuji, is she available to finish it? :D

And you got the Tomix Cleaning car, how do you like it? (I know there is a thread in the forum about the car and I think Martijn put a decoder in his?)

As always the layout looks great!

CaptOblivious

Oh, I'm in another state, it's not getting done in time :D

But it will get done before January is up, anyway. Close enough ;D

Well, in truth you didn't say which New Year celebration you were talking about. You could be for the Chinese New Year. ::) ;)

I see a lot of foam, looks like I'll be foaming for landscape as well soon.

Simply beautiful! Don, you're doing an outstanding job on this layout it's a shame it has to go into storage till Nov.

I might have asked this question already but what material did Amy use to simulate trees on the layout?

CaptOblivious

Simply beautiful! Don, you're doing an outstanding job on this layout it's a shame it has to go into storage till Nov.

I might have asked this question already but what material did Amy use to simulate trees on the layout?

Thanks! We used Foliage Clusters from Woodland Scenics

http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/items.cfm/FoliageClusters

It's a shame it only comes in three colors.

Sushi Train

I cannot believe how good it looks, its amazing what a little paint and foliage can do to crumpled paper and foam! great work, you've inspired me to do one for my 6 year old son. Thanks  :)

That's a very nice layout, and as others have said it's a pity it's only seasonal. I'm really impressed by the wooded hillside; that, to me, captures the topography of much of Japan quite well, and looks good.

And the video's good too.  I've watched it twice now.  The "photo" transitions seemed a bit "cute" on the first viewing, but they've grown on me.  And they're a nice change from the typical collection of disconnected shots that make up most layout videos. The overall "polish" of the video really stands out.

Cool video and nice layout. Despite of the simple track plan, it is good to watch the running trains. I like the hill too, which is really looks like a hill.

CaptOblivious

iMovie is great, isn't it? I love it. Took me 20 minutes to put that video together.

Attached is the track plan, which somehow I'd never bothered to share before!

Thanks to everyone for the kind words and encouragement on this project!

layout.gif