Kato Unitram Layout

Guest Closed Account 1

Guest Closed Account 1

Do you think that Kato will release the right hand drive Unitram plates that look just like these?  No Bike lanes.

I'm going to seriously consider converting my left hand drive plates to right hand drive. Too expensive to change now.

there has been a lot of talk about that with katousa, i thought from what folks were saying it was a done deal. might ask your LHS to inquire if its going to happen.

jeff

Interesting video....apparently the Kato folks in Europe decided to alter their street plates for the trade show there.  There has got to be a huge amount of demand for right-side driving plates from the Europeans in addition to us Northern Americanos.

Guest Closed Account 1

"Right hand drive sets are on indefinite hold until the German manufacturing

companies can come to a pricing agreement.

In the near future, we will be importing more of the left-hand drive sets

for the US market to satisfy demand for tram track. -KATO USA"

Guest Closed Account 1

Revelation:

Opened up my Kato V51 & V52 sets today. Had them about a month now.  Having 2 of each eliminates my need for another 40-800 set.

These sets are not just an intersection with a 90 degree trolley crossing, i's everything in the picture. All the plates.  The 186mm plates really helps in layout designs.

Martijn Meerts

Those don't look bad at all, not counting the unsightly manual control bit, and the black insulated pieces stand out.. But, that can be fixed quite easily :)

Unitram is getting more and more interesting, I'm at a point where I'd rather use Unitram than the Tomix offerings for the tram tracks on my layout.

Hobby Dreamer

That looks like an old image from some time ago..

The track is grey and unpainted, unlike the Unitram track so far released. I suspect that the final track will look a lot better and the insulated track won't stand out as much..

Although I foresee the critics, this is the best looking tram track and while there are some compromises, such as the turns are a bit wide, there has to be some give to accommodate 2 trams through a turn.

The track spacing on the curved part is wider then on the straights. It would be great if they released straights with this wider spacing so we could have turnouts not at intersections..

Fun !

Rick

Martijn Meerts

Now that you mention it, it does look like that prototype shot form earlier ;)

I'll have to check my spendings for december (I still have a tram on pre-order that was supposed to come out this month, and for next month I have a steam era passenger car set and the spirited away bath house on pre-order), but I may just end up treating myself to a Unitram starter set (minus the tram) for xmas ;)

Guest Closed Account 1

Actually, when you factor in the road colors, the wing color won't be such an eye sore.

If you repave the roads with dark colors it'll look even better.

The video proves you can use Paint or adhesive sheets of street/sidewalk to create the scene you want.

I don't use the black colored Kato track insulators for this reason. I just pop out the rail clip and isolate with 0.010" X 0.020" styrene strips and crazy glue (thin CA).

On another note, I have a small space to add a trolley track to a downtown scene. Is there an article on how to bury flex track or unitrack with foam board? This might just be another "5 trips to the craft store to get it right" project.

Guest Closed Account 1

Kato used the #4 switch power routing controls on the Unitram Turnouts.

Now you need to add a 62mm Unitram Track (40-031) or the 90 degree crossing (40-300) where the round about plate is so the Trams can run through.

post-398-0-27717100-1361390689_thumb.jpg

Great info, Webskipper. Thanks!

Hopefully they labeled them correctly this time. The #4 bottom piece has some of the labels swapped, and they are cast on.

Rich K.

Guest Closed Account 1

Is it common for Trams to have signal priority similar to emergency vehicles?

The Tucson Tram will have signal priority at certain intersections.

I can add traffic signal controls to the AAR3 reverser unit.

In North America its usually not common.  The auto lobby will fight that tooth and nail.  In Europe it can be very different in places like Zurich.

Hello everyone!

Just signed-up in hopes of building my first Tram set and I've been eyeing this Kato Unitram set/expansion for the past few days now. I truly like its appeal and simplicity in creating a small city layout in tight spaces and also looking forward to possibly kit-bash some buildings to enhance the project.

Being in Manila, Philippines where this kind of hobby is rare - its gonna be a bit challenging on my part to acquire the set/acc., but Im hoping the proximity to Japan will make shipping a bit less. Then again, there's also ebay.

Mardon

Guest Closed Account 1

Welcome.

There are many friendly Japanese online shops that ship outside Japan.

Ebay?  Plaza-Japan is very good.

1999.co.jp

popondetta.com

shibuyamokei.com

Whenever I cannot translate the site, I just email and ask for the product.

Hello everyone!

Just signed-up in hopes of building my first Tram set and I've been eyeing this Kato Unitram set/expansion for the past few days now. I truly like its appeal and simplicity in creating a small city layout in tight spaces and also looking forward to possibly kit-bash some buildings to enhance the project.

Being in Manila, Philippines where this kind of hobby is rare - its gonna be a bit challenging on my part to acquire the set/acc., but Im hoping the proximity to Japan will make shipping a bit less. Then again, there's also ebay.

Mardon

Mardon,

Welcome to the forum! FYI I think xsasa and icmbros on the forum are also from the Philippines.

Jeff

Welcome.

There are many friendly Japanese online shops that ship outside Japan.

Ebay?  Plaza-Japan is very good.

1999.co.jp

popondetta.com

shibuyamokei.com

Whenever I cannot translate the site, I just email and ask for the product.

Thanks Webskipper!

I saw Plaza Japan's ebay store and unfortunately he doesnt ship to the Philippines. As for the other stores, I took your advice and just sent them an email for quotes.

Thanks again!

Mardon

Mardon, Welcome to the forum! FYI I think xsasa and icmbros on the forum are also from the Philippines. Jeff

Thanks cteno4!

I hope to meet them soon! 

Mardon

always nice to know there are others like you around! not sure if they are nearby though... we ended up with a group of a dozen or so around the washington dc metro area, so you never know where those japanese train folks will creep out of! if there are any local clubs let them know your interest, never know when one might have a closet japanese train fan member! better yet run some trains there or take the unitram over an set it up when you get it and maybe you'll get some converts. 

hobbysearch (1999.co.jp) is a good solid shop, decent prices that does a lot of overseas business, speaks english and has an extensive website to roam around in. one shop ive just started to use is fmodels.jp. the website is all japanese, but one of the owners Motoko-san speaks english and will do orders via email. they just do payment via paypal. dont know if they do Philippines or not, but worth an email. so far the prices are better than hobbysearch by 5-10%. poppendetta also has all japanese website, but will do web orders or email orders once you have established an account with them and they have english speaking staff. they also have some used trains as well.

jeff

Thanks again Jeff!

I did see some guys selling bits and pieces of train stuff in our local secondary market websites - but they seem few and definitely not as common as the RC guys. Our annual Toycon doesnt even have bits of train stuff - which is actually a good place to meet similar hobby folks. I guess there's some out there - but Im not holding my breath. Although, Its definitely a plus to have 'playmates' in a particular hobby.

I finally got some responses from the list that Webskipper suggested:

1999.co.jp - out of stock (both the starter set and V50)

Shibuyamokei.com - starter out of stock but has V50.

Popendetta.com - no response yet.

Im trying to see if I could first acquire the starter set as it would save me some $$ compared to buying separately. If most places are out of stock, then the separate route would be next.