Kato Unitram Layout

Guest Closed Account 1

It seems I have lucked out on getting the starter set as all Japanese shops that I've inquired have replied back with having no stock - even the ebay seller that has 2 sets in hand forgot to remove his active auctions if not for my email inquiry. Good thing I didnt hit the BIN button.

Buying separates would seem a more viable option for me now, so need to check out the best deals for the V50 basic set, tram and power supply.

Webskipper - thanks for the link. He has good prices. 

Sadly, my Portram died on me - not 100% on the reason. Ran like a charm, then didn't run well at all. (( Thoughts turning to a toddler or wife accident. :) )) 

I LOVE the Unitram setup and see that there are more and more parts for it now on HOBBY SEARCH as well.

Here we are in 2013 now and I still have not seen Western versions of the Unitram setup or lights for use directly within the set, but I still love what I have.

Great stuff!

Guest Closed Account 1

How old is it? Warranty?

They are easy to take apart. Troubleshoot it. It might be a contact issue.

Worst case might be that it need motors.

Sorry to hear this. My suspicion too is that it's sucked up some puzz to either gum up the gears, contacts pr both. Unfortunately pulling these aparet ar not so easy, but there are some photos of the process on the forum here.

Kato was selling the trucks as spare parts but they have been sold out for a long thine here...

Jeff

Edited by cteno4
Mudkip Orange
Here we are in 2013 now and I still have not seen Western versions of the Unitram setup or lights for use directly within the set, but I still love what I have.

You could cover almost every NA LRT system with about five molds.

Calgary/Edmonton/San Diego used the original U2 which is basically identical to Frankfurt U-Bahn.

Calgary/Edmonton/San Diego/Sacramento/Denver/Salt Lake City used the U2a/SD-100/SD-160 which is the same train but with an angular front.

Saint Louis/Pittsburgh used the SD-400/460 which is the same angular front but with a 90' carbody length instead of the German-spec 82'.

LA Metro used the Nippon Sharyo P865/2020 which is so similar to the SD-400/460 that you could just paint it and call it good.

San Jose used the UTDC LRV which is also similar enough to the SD-400/460 to work as a repaint.

Portland's Type I / Bombardier LRVs are... again, close enough to the SD-400/460 to work as a repaint.

Houston/Portland uses the long-nose S70/Avanto.

San Diego/Minneapolis/Charlotte/Norfolk/Salt Lake City uses the snub-nose S70/Avanto

Los Angeles uses the AnsaldoBreda P2550 which is effectively the snub nose of an S70 grafted onto the body of an SD-400/460.

Seattle uses a custom Kinki Sharyo LRV which bears some visual resemblance to the snub-nosed S70

So to manufacture all of these vehicles you need at most seven molds:

---A 25m high-floor slug for U2/U2a/SD-100/SD-160

---A 90ft high-floor slug for SD-400/SD-460/P865/P2020/UTDC/Bombardier

---A 90ft low-floor slug for all S70 variants

---A classic-nose mold for U2

---A flat-nose mold for U2a/SD-100/SD-160/SD-400/SD-460/P865/P2020/UTDC/Bombardier

---A snub-nose mold for S70/P2550/Seattle

---A long-nose mold for S70

This covers every New Starts LRT line in the country except for Dallas and Hudson-Bergen. For an initial run, you could probably delete the classic-nose U2 (since Calg/Edm/SD all use the 100/160 as well) and, much as I hate to say it, you could probably sell Houston and Portland LRVs with the same snub nose as the rest of the S70 adopters. That takes you down to five. And "Kato releases basically every city's LRT" would be some damned powerful marketing.

Great opportunity for a set of 3D printed parts that can be glued up as nose, sides, and roofs and then a base that would mesh up with the desired chassis mechanism!

Jeff