Sunrise Express

bill937ca

Sleeper train Series 285 stock operating as the Sunrise Express between Izumo-Shi, Takamatsu and Tokyo as the Sunrise Izumo and Sunrise Seto.

Here it is from Hobby Search:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10024746

hbr245b - I didn't know MB Klein carried Japanese models and depending on where you live (excluding shipping) their price is a little better. I'm had really good experiences with MB Klein.

If you decide to purchase it at does take a different interior lighting system than most of the Kato passenger cars but it's a nice set.

hbr245b - I didn't know MB Klein carried Japanese models and depending on where you live (excluding shipping) their price is a little better. I'm had really good experiences with MB Klein.

M. B. Klein carries Kato and Tomix items, some Japanese trains, Japanese vehicles and Japanese structures.

Tomix

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/category_s/1206.htm

Kato Japanese prototypes

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Kato_N_Japanese_Prototype_s/2448.htm

All Kato

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Kato_N_Scale_s/748.htm

I'm confused--Hobbysearch labels the two versions of the Sunrise Express as "JR West" and "JR Central," and MB Klein calls them "JR West" and "JR Tokai." According to Wikipedia, the two separate trains (Sunrise Izumo and Sunrise Seto) run on JR West tracks (plus some JR Shikoku for the Seto) until they join on the way to Tokyo, and thereafter run as a single train on JR West, JR Central, and JR East tracks.

So what's the deal with the two different versions--how should they really be named, and what's the difference?

???

CaptOblivious

JR Tokai = JR Central

Solves that one! I don't know what the difference between the trains is, though…

Thanks...but I still don't get why they're labelled that way, since they both run on JR West, and only run on JR Central when they're coupled together, at least according to the infallible Wikipedia.

Tenorikuma

According to the Japanese Wikipedia, the train owned by JR West is designated #0, while JR Tokai's is #3000; in addition, the equipment installed on the underside of the locomotives differs between the two trains. Presumably, this is reflected in the models.

CaptOblivious

Thanks...but I still don't get why they're labelled that way, since they both run on JR West, and only run on JR Central when they're coupled together, at least according to the infallible Wikipedia.

It's not unusual for trains running services across the JR borders to have sets owned by both of those entities. The blue train Hokutosei, for example, which runs Tokyo <-> Sapporo has two different sets, one owned by JR East, and one by JR Hokkaido. So too is it with the shinkansen that run on the Tokkaido and Sanyo lines, there are sets owned by JR Central and sets owned by JR West (and none owned by JR East, 'cause they got their own line already ;) )

It's not unusual for trains running services across the JR borders to have sets owned by both of those entities. The blue train Hokutosei, for example, which runs Tokyo <-> Sapporo has two different sets, one owned by JR East, and one by JR Hokkaido. So too is it with the shinkansen that run on the Tokkaido and Sanyo lines, there are sets owned by JR Central and sets owned by JR West (and none owned by JR East, 'cause they got their own line already ;) )

How are they labled? JR East, JR Hokkaido?

CaptOblivious

How are they labled? JR East, JR Hokkaido?

Yep, there's the JR East configuration and the JR Hokkaido configuration. I'm not sure what all the differences are, but they run different consists with slight but interesting differences in livery. JR Hokkaido also uses a unique Hokutosei badge on the "lobby car" that matches that of the Hokutosei liveried DD51s. JR East uses a heraldic device looking thing on all of their cars.

Compare:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10050815

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10033156

That makes sense. I hadn't realized that JRH had them. Might have to look at the shots I did from Tokyo Station last year then. My photos I labeled them all as JRE

I'm going to bring this thread back because Kato is bringing the Sunrise Express back in February

Whoo!  Any idea when it'll be available for reservation (he asks, having learned his lesson....)?

I love them.  I bought both sets for 10000yen (about USD$109.50) used in Hakata.

I rode the real thing on my first night in Japan last November.  Got myself a single room on the upper floor.  The curve window was amasing catching passing nite trains and city skylines.

Yes, the kato models can be joined together.

I bought both sets for 10000yen (about USD$109.50) used in Hakata.

10k for two sets?! That's a bargain! Do they run well? I really need to go back to Japan to do some shoping (and travel).

Yes, I tested everyone of them.  That's why I went crazy shopping for trains in Japan.  I think if you don't need to buy new and will be visiting there.  You SHOULD shop at the second hand shops first to save you loads of cash.