This Old N-trak Module - Upgrading to DCC and Updating Some Scenery

Guest Closed Account 1

Guest Closed Account 1

During this episode.... couldn't resist.

The Club gave me this module that a member had previously created herself.  The legs are days old and adapt to wheelchair height as well as the 42" N-Trak standard with a specially made spacer. I was expecting no tracks and had the perfect design in Kato Unitrack to bring this back to life.

This is my first Ntrak module so I will attempt to upgrade the electrical to handle the 8A DCC circuits, and redo some of the scenery. In no way do I intend to undo what the artist envisioned, just correct a list of areas.

List:

*Secure loose track and electrically check for gaps

*Green Runway markers inoperative - replace with blue

*Tower Beacon Inoperative - Remove structure and add wiring

*Add a rural road to connect all the structures

*Touch-up ballasting and ground cover, lean a tree or upside down witch against the broken roof

*Add/replace vehicles/aircraft with 1:160 scale cars and trucks, Piper, crop duster, UH-H1 Huey style heli, Bipe, etc.

*Upgrade runway

*Upgrade roads and road crossings regardless of ballot count

*Add lighting to structures

My next module will be a fresh start; an all modern, all Unitrack, fantasy design.

Guest Closed Account 1

Pictures showing the module as received.

First picture shows the table level.

Second shows a quick Club logo - Our club is looking for a better logo to represent us. Hey how about this one!

Third is the overview.

post-436-13569926744887_thumb.jpg

post-436-1356992674531_thumb.jpg

post-436-13569926745671_thumb.jpg

Guest Closed Account 1

More pictures the day it was received.

These 2 are the under side of the module showing the individual track connections and the green line (Mountain Line) in the background.

The legs snap in place so that they can be carried within the module.

post-436-13569926746444_thumb.jpg

post-436-13569926746838_thumb.jpg

Guest Closed Account 1

Even more pictures from the day it was received.

Just different views of the layout.

Look closely as you can see the people and aircraft behind the houses.

Enjoy!

post-436-13569926747197_thumb.jpg

post-436-135699267481_thumb.jpg

post-436-13569926748754_thumb.jpg

post-436-135699267494_thumb.jpg

post-436-13569926749934_thumb.jpg

post-436-13569926750709_thumb.jpg

post-436-13569926751579_thumb.jpg

You may want to do a little research before working on the runway lights.  I'm a pilot, and a blue strobe would be rather odd on the runway as blue lights typically mark taxiways. For that matter, green is also a bit odd as runway end lights are red.  What would be neat at the end of the runway would be a red/white VASI (visual approach slope indicator).

Web - I think it's great that the club got you involved right away by giving you a module to work on. Are you still planning on making it a Japanese scene? I can't believe you have a helicopter, they aren't easy to find.

What is good is that you have the basics already set, if you want you can easily strip the top of the module. Most scenery is put down with "white glue", all you have to do is add water to it and the old scenery will lift off.

Have fun!

Guest Closed Account 1

The Church that became a control tower is clever way to kit bash.

I meant to say blue markers (FAA).  It's a rural airstrip so where do you normally see the lights? Beginning and end?

This module won't get stripped down. It serves as the rough draft for the next.

Seriously contemplating a metal frame as the weight of this module is 40 pounds with legs. The top and sides can stay wood. Just not using 5/8" and 3/4 hardwood.

Guest Closed Account 1

You can find airport lighting info here:

http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/aim/Chap2/aim0201.html

Could be some really nice effects when you run the module in "night" mode.

Thanks for the link. When I go back to work late next week I'll go out to the Heli take off points and count the blue lamps.  I remember blue was the answer on the Student Pilots exam. We did not cover spacing.

This is what I'm drooling over http://www.bakatronics.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=234

Guest Closed Account 1

Bummer.  The Club has a rule that all modules must have a Mountain Line (Green).  There is no room to add the standard 4 inches of track on either side and then swing the track behind the runway on an added 6" of table to avoid removing the runway. :(

So either they let me make an elevated Mountain Line or sell it.  It would be a total shame to remove the runway and stuff just for track.  Then it'll look like every other Ntrak Module.

So off I go to design a very light weight module for the Japanese Rails that will fit into my sub-compact Jap car.

well n trak modules do tend to look a lot alike for track work, its part of the standardization thing. there are much more flexible standards out there that are less used like bend trak. its always a trade off. n trak has been highly focused on lots of modules made by different people all play well with each other.

if you decide to roll your own sectional layout yell as there are a number of ideas to make ultra light weight modules if you need them small and light. if you plan only to transport in your car then you have the right idea, measure out carefully what could fit in and out of your car. also make sure to mock up any module or container in cardboard to make sure it will clear the doors well and fit in the odd shaped car interiors. we found that 1m x 0.5m modules can fit in most compact back seats. there is usually about 42" between door handles.

cheers

jeff

Guest Closed Account 1

we found that 1m x 0.5m modules can fit in most compact back seats. there is usually about 42" between door handles.

Thanks. I'm still driving my 2000 Honda Insight 226K miles. I can fit a standard module behind the front seat and still see pretty well.

A 3X2 that can be stacked for transport would the bomb. I need at least one 6 foot layout. I'm sure I can fit 4 36X24X3-4 tables in the car.

Yeah, please give me some good ideas for a light module.  I was thinking of using 3/4 square stock and attach the adjustable legs to that and then 3/8" ply for the table top and sides.

I've temporarily abandoned the module ideas for a Pure Tram layout which I may transfer to an Ntrak module. Nothing glued. Just lots of eye candy that I can rotate with other figures and vehicles. It'll give me my first N Scale layout

My first Shinkansen module idea is a simple siding station up front and a double viaduct to act as the mountain line (green) in the back. The second elevated track is there to either descend to the table at some point or keep your mind wondering. Hopefully the new V15 sets will come out soon.

Webskipper,

LOL, i pack into a 2005 prius and a 2003 civic hybrid! amazing to hear the insite is going fine at 226K miles! our civic hybrid's battery just went this year, but luckily they pushed the warrantee (the batteries went out 2 weeks past warrantee), so it was not too bad.

for the modules i would look at using 3/16 luan ply for the top, very light weight. then something like 0.75-1.5" x 0.75" stock for the framing depending on the module sizes. then some interior bracing as well.

if you want to conserve space for transport you might think of removable legs. folding legs will take some vertical space and never are very sturdy.

cheers

jeff

Many people make the framing out of plywood, not just the top. It's less prone to warping or expansion than lumber.  I haven't done that myself, but for a layout that's going to go in and out of buildings, and be exposed to temperature and humidity variations, that's something to consider.

ply works well for framing if you are talking like 3" or greater. it does not work at 1" well at all as its to prone to splitting layers at that size and looses it ply strength.

cheers

jeff

Guest Closed Account 1

The club passed a rule before I joined that all module must have a mountain track.

Read the Ntrak rules. I'll have to practically eliminate the airport.

I tried to figure this out with Kato elevated track and just not comfortable doing touch-n-goes that close to a mountain side. :(