What did you order or the post deliver? (HO and other scales)

bikkuri bahn

Or they're just more interested in the freight. It may not be the freight cars, it may be the motive power pulling it...

Like this insane turbine from one of my club members:

I couldn't care less about the coal, but that loco is gorgeous.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Need for High Speed said:

What makes you think that? I am a big advocate for HSR in America I also don't own anything else except High speed trains and I made my self broke over them to. so I don't get why you think that.

I think you missed his point.  His point is that there are high speed trains from all eras.  Not all high speed trains are modern electric drive streamlined locomotives or EMU types.

Personally, I have no interest in US trains from a buy/own perspective.   I like looking at the models and stuff but have absolutely no interest.  My interest is based on where I have an emotional attachment, which is Japanese rail (and most of that is 2000+ though I have stuff back to EF58 and also a lot of 103s, which I think are still in limited use, just being phased out) and German/European rail.  The Japanese rail as my wife is from Japan and we visit about every other year and ride the trains a ton.  And German/Euro as I lived in Germany 86-87 and rode trains almost daily then, and lived there 91-93, though I did not ride many trains in that time (and have been back to visit many times through 2000 and Sweden in 2016 where we rode trains).   For me the train represents another culture and land that I feel attached to, and also it reminds me of vacations and trips I have taken.  A train means I am going somewhere cool!    So for me the attachment is the emotional attachment.    For that reason, while I appreciate older Steam, I have little interest in buying it.  If I had unlimited funds and time, I would consider the Japanese and German steam eras, but since funds are not infinite, and neither is time, I stick with the 50s-present time with electric and diesel and the like.

I also have no interest in H0.  Too big and expensive.   I have been interested in N scale since the mid-90s and had old Arnold catalogs I brought with me from Germany, though I did not buy any N scale until this past December, when we were in Japan and my kids are no old enough to enjoy.   My son does have a huge Tomy PLA-RAIL collection of mostly Japanese trains, and a ton of Thomas from when he was younger, as we did buy him the first set to grow into when he was 8 months 🙂  And he has a bunch of Japanese DVDs of trains as well that he watched as a kid over and over and over...  So we are Japanese train indoctrinated in this family since 2003.

• Like 1
shadowtiger25
2 minutes ago, GDorsett said:

Or they're just more interested in the freight. It may not be the freight cars, it may be the motive power pulling it...

Like this insane turbine from one of my club members:

I couldn't care less about the coal, but that loco is gorgeous.

Is the car just behind the loco, at 0:10, the 600 dollar brass that they made 64 of? one of the members at my old club built a train around one of those

I have no idea what that cost. This is the only one I've seen, but I don't go looking at other clubs a whole lot as I'm too busy fighting Digitrax and power issues. Cannot say for sure.

Pretty sure this one is from either Scale Trains like the loco or it's from Walthers Proto. I honestly don't remember.

shadowtiger25
Just now, GDorsett said:

I have no idea what that cost. This is the only one I've seen, but I don't go looking at other clubs a whole lot as I'm too busy fighting Digitrax and power issues. Cannot say for sure.

Pretty sure this one is from either Scale Trains like the loco or it's from Walthers Proto. I honestly don't remember.

I just recognized it is all. And the guy who owned it bragged about it constantly. 

And the new club Im at also has problems with its digitrax system and power issues. i wonder if its a problem with the brand....

shadowtiger25
1 minute ago, GDorsett said:

Are you running a modular setup or a permanent layout?

its a modular. That is in an old train station. That is un-insultated, has doors open all the time. And I really miss my old club with a nice permanent, in a nice building... (1200 Sq ft of nothing but layout)

Nashville sucks... the only other club would take me twice as long to get to....

shadowtiger25
7 hours ago, GDorsett said:

How big is it?

Over 100 modules?

And do you know if it has multiple power districts?

the club I'm at right now its only about 8 with a permanent yard on the other side of the same length

. its nothing compared to my old club

shadowtiger25
5 hours ago, GDorsett said:

Oh, then I don't know. If it were power districts, I'd say that's why.

the volts will stay constant at 12.4, but the amps will change constantly. If no sound, between 3-6 if sound it will bottom out at 13, and reach up to 24.

The engines the club owns will run supper slow, even at max speed. Which is weird because mine run normal, even the one with sound.

There are also spots on it where things will stop, still has power flowing because sound wont turn off.

Edited by shadowtiger25

I know the issues we have are all power district issues. Each "district" (set of DB150/100 units) seems to have difficulty talking to the other units.

That, and when we set up at big shows, the clubs running NCE seem to perfectly jam Digitrax radio controls.

shadowtiger25
On 10/18/2018 at 5:28 PM, GDorsett said:

I know the issues we have are all power district issues. Each "district" (set of DB150/100 units) seems to have difficulty talking to the other units.

That, and when we set up at big shows, the clubs running NCE seem to perfectly jam Digitrax radio controls.

After using both, I prefer NCE. The controllers are nicer, have more functions, and you can control accessories such as signal lights and switches from the controller. Not to mention the button control for speed, and the 28/128 speed controls.

Digitrax controllers are... small and have a weird dial for speed control and only one setting of 99

10 hours ago, GDorsett said:

You have a couple vans back there that are having some track issues. Or was Dr. Yellow just too fast for them?

Ahh, you're right, of course!

The thing is: Our layout is located underneath the boy's loft bed with the base boards roughly at knee hight. This makes it a bit prone to 'earthquakes'. But as long as the consequences are only derailments (and not drops from the board onto the floor)  that's no problem.

In that location, I could see why earthquakes are a problem. Gotta get that fancy equipment the Shinkansen uses to prevent derailments!

Rerailers are wonderful tools. Finally gave up and got on for both HO and N. Been calling them "cheater sticks"

Rerailers are a practical tool.

But hereby I present you my very first Japanese H0 rolling stock.

Yes, I bought these for myself. Just have to let my German friends experience some Japanese rollingstock at the next meet up ^^

A lovely pair of KiHa 110-200s from Kato. Track in photo is for illustration purposes only.

IMG_20181029_124623.thumb.jpg.321c84b276e0b0a6b9e5760d3f0d75d4.jpg

• Like 6
Need for High Speed
On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 7:30 AM, Waisneed said:

Just have to let my German friends experience some Japanese rollingstock

I showed off all my shinkansen rollingstock to my fellow American friends. lol, about half didn't care but the others really like them.

Edited by Need for High Speed
shadowtiger25
On 11/2/2018 at 6:00 AM, Need for High Speed said:

I showed off all my shinkansen rollingstock to my fellow American friends. lol, about half didn't care but the others really like them.

Thats how it goes... 

I keep having older guys ask me how many of the SL I have where blown up in the war...

But its your slice of the hobby, dont let the opinions of others bother you

• Like 1