What did you order or the post deliver? (HO and other scales)

bikkuri bahn

shadowtiger25
26 minutes ago, GDorsett said:

I seem to remember a listing for a Kato C11 on his website, although it's out of stock. May have gotten it confused with something else, though since the only loco I remember Kato producing was a C51...or I'm just entirely confused as per normal.

Edit:

It appears I was indeed confused. Was a C56.

Easy to do. The C56 is a modified C11. They took the water tank and coal bank off the back of the C11 and added a tender To make the C56.

shadowtiger25
31 minutes ago, GDorsett said:

Steam in HO is most definitly more expensive no matter where you look. Comperable diesels are ususally half or less.

Well, they are more integrate models. The rods being the main difference in terms of the function of the model.

The companies that make them have a lot less resources to go off of when modeling them. If there is not a preserved engine, its mostly black and white photos, and blue prints, if you can find them. On top of that less people are interested in steam as time goes on. The club i was a member at in WV, there was 40+ members, about 5 had steam exclusive, 12 had a mix, and the rest where diesel. All that has to do with the era and lines they model.

Side note, I was the only one with an electric, and the first time I ran my EF65. Everyone thought I would break off the phonographs 

17 hours ago, shadowtiger25 said:

I also received my second set of seki's today as well! now I have 20! Anyway, I will upload a guide to how I make my real coal loads when I get around to doing it again.

The Tenshodo Seki's are nice, aren't they? I've also got to improve the loads on mine, all 32 of them. But mine will be limestone, so I'll be interested to see how you do yours.

Cheers,

Mark.

One 0-Series painted in Amtrak Phase-1.

1017180949.jpg

1017180949a.jpg

It has the old style Japanese couplers on it and the proper trucks, so Model Power may have actually released this in Japan at some point. I saw an old MP 0-Series cab car a few years ago (with proper paint) with American horn-hooks on it, but it was solo and didn't have cars. MP also made one of these in the Santa Fe Warbonnet livery as well. Will have to acquire that next...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

With all four cars:

1017181000.jpg

Only issue I see here other than desperately needing maintenance on the lead trucks and it's unknown motour condition is that this gap between the cars is MASSIVE...

1017181001.jpg

• Like 1
18 hours ago, GDorsett said:

Speaking of C11...

Trying to find one and all I've been able to find has been on EBay with the old style couplers and for ridiculous prices. Are they normally 5 and 6 hundred dollars? Has anyone made one since then with more modern tooling?

Tenshodo released diecast/plastic models of the C11s in 2012. When they were last in stock at Hobby Search they were selling for $400 US. They're a very nice model, well worth getting.

Cheers,

Mark.

17 hours ago, GDorsett said:

I seem to remember a listing for a Kato C11 on his website, although it's out of stock. May have gotten it confused with something else, though since the only loco I remember Kato producing was a C51...or I'm just entirely confused as per normal.

Kato produced an HO D51, which are also very nice models. For some reason they've never re-released them, so all those I have have been bought second hand. If they ever do another run of them, I'll be buying more! 🙂

Cheers,

Mark.

Easy to do. The C56 is a modified C11. They took the water tank and coal bank off the back of the C11 and added a tender To make the C56.

Not quite. The C56 is a tender version of the C12 2-6-2Ts. C11s were an improved version of the similar C10 2-6-4Ts.

Cheers,

Mark.

I think the 0 models were originally made by Playart. I've seen examples in JNR livery in Playart packaging.

Cheers,

Mark.

shadowtiger25
1 hour ago, marknewton said:

The Tenshodo Seki's are nice, aren't they? I've also got to improve the loads on mine, all 32 of them. But mine will be limestone, so I'll be interested to see how you do yours.

Cheers,

Mark.

They really are, which I think I got the last #1 set as they are now listed as sold out. My wallet is still recovering, but I was going to be very upset if i missed out on these.

I'm planning on doing a detailed instruction later today. But I'm busy this morning, so it will be later this afternoon. 

Im not sure what you would use, but real lime stone should be easy to find and work just as well. I believe its a porous rock like coal.

Edited by shadowtiger25
  • Like 1
shadowtiger25
33 minutes ago, GDorsett said:

One 0-Series painted in Amtrak Phase-1.

1017180949.jpg

1017180949a.jpg

It has the old style Japanese couplers on it and the proper trucks, so Model Power may have actually released this in Japan at some point. I saw an old MP 0-Series cab car a few years ago (with proper paint) with American horn-hooks on it, but it was solo and didn't have cars. MP also made one of these in the Santa Fe Warbonnet livery as well. Will have to acquire that next...

Wow. I bet it still would if have ended up being 2-5 hours late amtrack did have those..

Yes, that's what I was thinking as well. I've got a big lump of limestone to experiment with. If it ever stops raining I'm going to break it up and crush some so I can play around with it.

Cheers,

Mark.

Well then I guess I'll just need to find that instead because bigger is better...right?

More power?

17 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Email him and let him know what you are interested in, he is good at finding stuff and a very good retailer.

jeff

Alright, good to note. May have him looking for some coaches as well.

Well, they are more integrate models. The rods being the main difference in terms of the function of the model.

The companies that make them have a lot less resources to go off of when modeling them. If there is not a preserved engine, its mostly black and white photos, and blue prints, if you can find them. On top of that less people are interested in steam as time goes on. The club i was a member at in WV, there was 40+ members, about 5 had steam exclusive, 12 had a mix, and the rest where diesel. All that has to do with the era and lines they model.

Side note, I was the only one with an electric, and the first time I ran my EF65. Everyone thought I would break off the phonographs 

Understand that one. Kinda annoyed with Broadway Limited Imports for my AT&SF #3141. They used a USRA Light Mikado body and dropped the 3141 number onto it even though the actual locomotive was not a USRA type and predated the standards. That said, I could only ever find one picture.

At my club, I'd say about a quarter have steam engines, but only two or three are exclusively steam. As much I'd love to go to steam power, I just can't afford it right now.

And $400 is a LOT for a model that then needs to be converted, most likely withoyt sounds. I don't see myself doing that anytime soon. Maybe 200, maximum, but 400 is a lot. 

I am one of two or three people with electrics at my club. I know there is a GG1 and I know that someone has or wants an ACS-64, but so far I'm the only one I've seen with anything like that. Two Amtrak sets and now an EF510.

I think another issue with buying steam models is that most companies now have thing about limited runs of products instead of producing them for a while, which means that they're impossible to get and waaaaaay over priced even if they're just of mediocre quality. And that's true of everything, not just steamers. I get all excited when a new model is announced from the likes of Broadway only to find out that it's a 4 or 5 hundred dollar model and that they're sold out the instant they go live. That means only the serious modelers and people with money can get the good steam models. The young people can't get them, so they go with either the big modern diesels that they see every day or the easier to get diesels.

Walthers is a big issue here, as they produce everything limited run, which drives up the prices on the "mainline" model series, which is supposed to be an affordable alternative to the Proto series...and yet they're sold out just as fast and they're just as expensive as the Proto units. And, personally, not all that great of a model.

Picked up a 70' Budd baggage car from Walthers Proto because it has an impossibly low price on it. I much prefer my Kato 12/13 series coaches to this "high end" thing. The 12/13 series coaches look nicer, run better/quieter, and don't require lubricant. The Kato units also are half the price of a similar Walthers coach.

Edited by GDorsett
shadowtiger25
4 hours ago, GDorsett said:

And $400 is a LOT for a model that then needs to be converted, most likely withoyt sounds. I don't see myself doing that anytime soon. 

Well, it can be. It has an 8-pin quick plug. and a 23mm speaker mount in it. I can take mine apart and take pics if you want to see.

https://tonystrains.com/product/esu-56899-loksound-micro-v4-0-8-pin-sound-decoder-factory-european-files-or-no-programming/ this is the decoder I'm going to git tht for it. And drop a custom sound file in to it that has the rod clank for coasting, and extra power sound for up hill driving. Plus the JNR whistle that I spent a week getting right. I still need to tweak it and finish it, but still.

right now I just  have an NCE 9 function 8pin plug and play in  it so I can run it. I would recommend a stay alive plug as well just because it only has one freaking pick up and it dies on frogs...

Here is a video where some one did what I plan on doing

Edited by shadowtiger25
  • Like 2
Need for High Speed

EW steam engines, so dirty. I don't actually dislike steamers I just don't care about them enough to pay even a dime for one. LOL

9 hours ago, GDorsett said:

Only issue I see here other than desperately needing maintenance on the lead trucks and it's unknown motour condition is that this gap between the cars is MASSIVE...

1017181001.jpg

GDorsett, Its a cruddy model, what did you expect? It really isn't that good at running and for a high speed train it just looks cheap and crappy to me, that kind of low quality works great for Steamers and old stuff but not High speed trains. But that's just me, I like that model because its silly not because of the operation.

I bought mine like 10 years ago and was indeed impressed with it but I was 7 or 8 and at the time I didn't really care, now... well I've changed. But I still want the middle cars for it. Also its got plastic wheels so keep it off my tracks (lol) the Bachmann EZ-Track loves the dirt from plastic wheels. Although please bring it with you as I think it will look great with my E5 and 500 LOL.

But maybe you could figure out how to put different couplers on it so the gap between each car is smaller.

I personally am not that interested in the 0-series. But If you really want a plastic HO scale Japanese O-series... DUDE just cough up the money if not save up for the Lima one or get the one from Zoukei Mura, they make a beautiful model of the 0-series and its expensive but not too expensive. I currently don't see any on Yahoo right now. Their was a couple of them that sold a few days ago I think they were all under 500 bucks. The Zoukei Mura ones have DCC plugs in them to I think I may be wrong, some one will have to fact check that.

10 hours ago, GDorsett said:

It has the old style Japanese couplers on it and the proper trucks, so Model Power may have actually released this in Japan at some point.

I remember Lima trains used to use those funky old couplers. They didn't work very well. I wanted to change them out for Hornby style ones, but I don't think it was possible.

9 minutes ago, Need for High Speed said:

EW steam engines, so dirty. I don't actually dislike steamers I just don't care about them enough to pay even a dime for one. LOL

Come on!! Tell me you don't like this steamer!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNER_Class_A4_4468_Mallard#/media/File:Number_4468_Mallard_in_York.jpg

I love all high speed trains. From the beginnings of rail to the present day. I'm beginning to think you're just not all that into high speed trains. 😛

Need for High Speed
54 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

Come on!! Tell me you don't like this steamer!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNER_Class_A4_4468_Mallard#/media/File:Number_4468_Mallard_in_York.jpg

I love all high speed trains. From the beginnings of rail to the present day. I'm beginning to think you're just not all that into high speed trains. 😛

Meh I like the looks of the zephyrs better although the PRR T1 is pretty cool to and I like the UP big boys they are Huge.  But so many other people own steam and so few people in the US care to model true modern high speed. So then I decided Steam and freight of any era wasn't worth my time or money. So back in 2015 when I first got started in model railroading I decided I wanted to do something out of the ordinary. something that I cared about. so first was Amtrak NEC than came the High speed trains. I really started back in 2013 with a Kato N scale starter set of the N700 series and I got a bunch of viaducts and stuff  but got annoyed with the small size so I switched to HO feeling it was "authentic" (I use that word sarcastically) and I do NOT regret it. In 2015 I got an HHP8 in HO and I started collecting Amtrak NEC equipment and Then I got a Mehano Thalys at a show and then I decided instead of collecting nice Amtrak I'll collect High speed trains from around the world in HO and I did and I just bought the second to last train for this year and for a long time.

54 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

I'm beginning to think you're just not all that into high speed trains.

What makes you think that? I am a big advocate for HSR in America I also don't own anything else except High speed trains and I made my self broke over them to. so I don't get why you think that.

Now take a look at this picture of all those High speed trains sitting on my floor from when my friend Eddie came over. About half of those trains belong to me and the other halfe belong to my friend how ever that is only about a 3rd of our HST collections combined. SO I would like to know what you have to say about that?

20180729_162731.jpg

Edited by Need for High Speed

"Ew, dirty steam engines"...

dude

Most people in the US don't model high speed because it's not something we have. Untill recently, the only high speed we had has been the mediocre Acela. As much as I like it, it's just not as capable as other trains and we don't have the fancy tracks to run them efficiently.

And, yes, I am aware if it's cruddieness. But it's a rare item and I like it. Still surprised at that massive gap as even my meh stuff has a smaller gap than that. There is a reason I do not buy Model Power stuff.

And saving up money is not exactly easy right now. I've got eight cylinders of insurance to feed and it's not cheap. I was hurting when I dropped 400 on that EF510 and that thing is probably my second best model. There is no way I'll be able to afford a full Shinkansen train that probably won't run well on crappy club layouts. I will stick to my big streamlined diesels and bigger, not-very-streamlined steam engines, thank you.

Tried to get a Lima TGV, but that didn't go through. Someone else wanted it more than me. Oh well.

14 minutes ago, Need for High Speed said:

So few people in the US care to model true modern high speed. 

That's because.....Murica. Don't wanna collect no foreign crap. I'm also amazed how many American train guys tell me they love freight trains and aren't into passenger trains (because that's all you see in most of the country). But then when Kato release a set from the 1950s or something like that orange Hiawatha train, every single table at the train shows have one. 

So then I decided Steam and freight of any era wasn't worth my time or money. So back in 2015 when I first got started in model railroading I decided I wanted to do something out of the ordinary. something that I cared about. so first was Amtrak NEC than came the High speed trains. I really started back in 2013 with a Kato N scale starter set of the N700 series and I got a bunch of viaducts and stuff  but got annoyed with the small size so I switched to HO feeling it was "authentic" (I use that word sarcastically) and I do NOT regret it. In 2015 I got an HHP8 in HO and I started collecting Amtrak NEC equipment and Then I got a Mehano Thalys at a show and then I decided instead of collecting nice Amtrak I'll collect High speed trains from around the world in HO and I did and I just bought the second to last train for this year and for a long time.

Yeah, I see what your're going for. I mostly like modern stuff and high speed. But I get anything I think looks cool or interesting. I don't really care about mixing eras or regions. As long as it looks good, it gets a ticket to ride on the layout.

Now take a look at this picture of all those High speed trains sitting on my floor from when my friend Eddie came over. About half of those trains belong to me and the other halfe belong to my friend how ever that is only about a 3rd of our HST collections combined. SO I would like to know what you have to say about that?

20180729_162731.jpg

Some nice trains. I like them. When a designer tries to push the limit with a train, it shows. They keep the pedigree long after thy lose claim to the speed record. 

Look at this baby. Tell me it doesn't belong with the TGVs and the ICEs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schienenzeppelin

Need for High Speed
19 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

Yeah, I see what your're going for. I mostly like modern stuff and high speed. But I get anything I think looks cool or interesting. I don't really care about mixing eras or regions. As long as it looks good, it gets a ticket to ride on the layout.

LoL that's what I said when I joined my HO club. It's basically the same philosophy I go with when it comes to hobbies I don't care what you run as long as it has a motor and has pulling power or speed I could care less. I prefer it be something electric but if not meh as long as it's got a pulse. LoL  

I chose high speed because it gets so much attention at club open houses. Although in the mind of a non train buff it seems like every train that looks sleek and goes over 100mph is automatically an Acela LOL. But you also must remember that's the train they know or have heard of that goes really fast on steel wheels. I don't blame them. But this one guy did called my Acela an ICE train. Not sure where they got that one from but... Ye know. I was working hard on crying from laughing. But what I don't like is people see a freight or oldie and my high speeder goes by and they don't even see it or react it's almost invisible to them it's like it doesn't even exist which means they are truly stuck in the past. But it's good we all look back and learn from the past and look ahead to the future to make it better.

• Like 1