What did you order or the post deliver? (HO and other scales)

bikkuri bahn

Need for High Speed
15 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

Be sure to share some pictures of it on a layout too!

I totally will in the next week or so I will do a post on the DCC installation. I will also make some videos of it running

On 9/17/2018 at 8:42 AM, Waisneed said:

I ordered this on behalf of a good friend.

So you the one he sold it to. I know who you ordered it from. Damn bro! 4 grand I am so jealous,  but I am only planning to getting the 6 car set for 900 from japan using the middle man is plenty of money for me. Post more pictures or a video of it please

Edited by Need for High Speed
Need for High Speed
On 9/19/2018 at 7:50 AM, Waisneed said:

But alas, I don't even have a way of running this beauty. All my H0 is very old Märklin stuff

Then why did you buy it? I might wonder. You must have paid a ton of good money for it to travel all the way from Florida. So you may as well buy some nice track to run it on even if its just a loop. What are you planning to do with all that Shinkansen? Although I think I read it wrong, you got it for a friend right?

On 9/19/2018 at 8:34 AM, GDorsett said:

I don't think it would run on any of my available layouts even though I do HO. 

I'm not murdering my wallet for an E5

Its not that expensive, I paid like 230 usd for mine. Even with the shipping and fees Buyee gives you it was only about 290 not bad. Plus it had four pieces of track with it in the package because the person I got it from had it in a display case and included the track it was sitting on. But Its Kato Ho concrete track and I have all Bachmann E-Z track.

People ether have or want an HO Shinkansen and don't even have proper track? I am not being judgmental but track is the easy part mostly.

Edited by Need for High Speed
17 hours ago, Need for High Speed said:

I got the E5 HO scale Hayabusa from Kato today. It just arrived from Japan it will be with me at shows and open houses. How ever this is only the beginning I am saving up for the JR500 next.

20180927_162544.jpg

It's a beauty. Are you getting the add-on set too? I'd love to see a video of it running!

3 hours ago, Need for High Speed said:

I am waiting to buy the JR500 first. Then I will get the 2 car add-on set for the E5.

Have you run it yet? Is it fast? I was considering getting one of those for my son a while back. All my trains are n scale but the boy has a bunch of HO trains that he runs on temporary setups that go all over the house. We picked up an HO ICE last year that looks amazing zooming through the rooms. I think a Hyabusa would also be cool. It's sort of a special train for me as it was the first Japanese train I ever got. We also went out of our way to take a ride in the full scale train a couple of years ago. 

We used to use Bachmann track also, and still have a ton of it, but we replaced it all with Kato unitrack. I think it's smoother and more reliable. 

Need for High Speed
27 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

We used to use Bachmann track also, and still have a ton of it, but we replaced it all with Kato unitrack. I think it's smoother and more reliable.

Yeah A lot of people say that about Kato unitrack. I will slowly switch over to Kato track someday but for now I am sticking with Bachmann track as its cheap and EZ to use like unitrack lol.

27 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

I was considering getting one of those for my son a while back.

lol. would you get your son a JR500 to?

Here is another picture of my Hayabusa next to my RENFE S-102. I also just got some new power pack transformers from MRC. I am also waiting on the cab decoders for the E5. so in the first week of October I'll install the DCC. I will have a special post on it and in the next few months the JR500 will be mine.

20180927_164013.jpg

Nice. I also rode one of those about ten years ago on a daytrip from Madrid. Very nice and smooth ride. 

Yes, I would get him a 500. But I'd wait until he goes through another electric train phase. Currently he's more into Lego trains and Minecraft. But these things seem to go in cycles. I tend to use things like these trains as prizes for learning tasks, and as special occasion presents. But I wouldn't rule it out.

Need for High Speed
4 hours ago, gavino200 said:

Yes, I would get him a 500. But I'd wait until he goes through another electric train phase. Currently he's more into Lego trains and Minecraft. But these things seem to go in cycles. I tend to use things like these trains as prizes for learning tasks, and as special occasion presents. But I wouldn't rule it out.

Sounds a lot like me when I was younger, wish my dad got me expensive stuff like the Ho scale 500 series LoL. (Although I was pretty destructive back then so it would have been a disaster)

Anyways yeah I think most people who have a powerful eternal drive and strong energetic interests in specific things tend to go through obsession cycles even as adults sometimes. For me first was wooden brio track subways, then Lego trains, then tyco Ho trains (that was short lived) then  it was airports and highways, then Amtrak and SEPTA. Then it all came together and I became obsessed with cities and skyscrapers and then I was into micro machines and match box Ect... the list goes on. LoL

I visited China and rode a high speed train from Beijing to Shanghai. I was about 14 when I got into this whole high speed train thing. And then I rode the ICE train in Germany. And things really started going. LoL amongst other interests but this current cycle with Ho high speed trains has been one of the most intense and has been going for almost 3 years. But over 18 years of life trains have always been the most consistent interest. I believe I chose high speed because their are no high speed rail lines in The USA.

I still have all my toys I refuse to get rid of any of them. I'm still waiting for the cab light decoders for the E5 to arrive.

I will say it appears physically larger then my European HST because the Shinkansens are made to completely different stander a Although it is 1:87 like all my other trains. It just seem very wide. It's going to look silly on the PRR layouts I run on.

2 minutes ago, Need for High Speed said:

I will say it appears physically larger then my European HST because the Shinkansens are made to completely different stander a Although it is 1:87 like all my other trains. It just seem very wide. It's going to look silly on the PRR layouts I run on.

Doesn't Japan do 1:80 for H0?

I don't do H0 but that is what I have gathered.  So it will look a bit larger anyway.

1 hour ago, chadbag said:

Doesn't Japan do 1:80 for H0?

I don't do H0 but that is what I have gathered.  So it will look a bit larger anyway.

Japanese N scale is 1/160 for shinkansen while everything else is 1/150 the same goes for HO, 1/87 for shinkansen and 1/80 for everything else. 😉

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Need for High Speed said:

Sounds a lot like me when I was younger, wish my dad got me expensive stuff like the Ho scale 500 series LoL. (Although I was pretty destructive back then so it would have been a disaster)

Ha, yes. We first got some second hand trains when he was about three. And we were pretty rough with them for a while. Deliberate crashes etc. But we had a lot of fun.

Anyways yeah I think most people who have a powerful eternal drive and strong energetic interests in specific things tend to go through obsession cycles even as adults sometimes. For me first was wooden brio track subways, then Lego trains, then tyco Ho trains (that was short lived) then  it was airports and highways, then Amtrak and SEPTA. Then it all came together and I became obsessed with cities and skyscrapers and then I was into micro machines and match box Ect... the list goes on. LoL

I agree. I'm very much that way myself. It's hard for me to keep different interests running in parallel. Rather than alternating between 100% immersion in one at a time. I actually find that writing up my train projects here, keeps me from wandering too much until I can bring them to completion. 

I visited China and rode a high speed train from Beijing to Shanghai. I was about 14 when I got into this whole high speed train thing. And then I rode the ICE train in Germany. And things really started going. LoL amongst other interests but this current cycle with Ho high speed trains has been one of the most intense and has been going for almost 3 years. But over 18 years of life trains have always been the most consistent interest. I believe I chose high speed because their are no high speed rail lines in The USA.

I'm very jealous. I have a massive interest in China and I very much want to go there one of these years. I'll probably stay around Nanjing so hopefully I'll get to ride the Maglev from the airport to SH, and then the CRH from SH to NJ, then maybe some regional trains. They also have a nice subway system in NJ that I think (not sure) is fully automated. 

The ICE-1 was the first high-speed train I ever saw. That's decades ago now but I still remember how blown away by it I was. I didn't actually get to ride in an ICE until last year. It was a long overdue wish come true. I also wish we had some high speed rail in the US. At least in some densely populated corridors, but it's frustrating how much resistance there is to it. For now, at least high speed trains are just one more reason to travel.

I still have all my toys I refuse to get rid of any of them.

That's awesome. I had OO trains when I was a kid. I sold them all as a teenager for beer money, and regretted it for years. Hold on to those toys!!

Oh, since I mentioned it, Ordered a week or so ago a Kato EF510-500 in Hokutosei livery. I already have one, but this one has DCC and Sound. Was en expensive find, but something I've been looking for. Hopefully it gets to the warehouse soon so I can bring it over here and put it through it's paces before the next show.

Need for High Speed
2 hours ago, GDorsett said:

Wish I could afford the E5. Looks amazing!

Maybe I should have gotten that instead of the EF510...

Wish I could afford the JR500 in HO. I spent some of the money on the E5 and now I need to save up again. So many trains to get you cant afford it all so you need to make some tough decisions on what to buy. Like I'd rather buy multiple high speed trains rather than worry too much about making them full length with add on cars.

• Like 1

I have this thing about partial trains. I have a rather hard to find set of heavyweight coaches that aren't all upgraded and I've been reserved to run any because I don't have all eight cars track worthy. And I'm missing one of the cars and the loco.

Once I get the EF510 in, I'm going to need to start building it's train...which is going to probably be close to 1k by the time I finish the train and pay for shipping. You figure, the basic four-car set is roughly 300 to 400 depending on where you find it and the three car add-on is 200 to 300 depending on where you find it. Then I just need five more cars.

Edited by GDorsett
23 hours ago, keiichi77 said:

Japanese N scale is 1/160 for shinkansen while everything else is 1/150 the same goes for HO, 1/87 for shinkansen and 1/80 for everything else. 😉

Makes sense.   Thanks for the correction

12 hours ago, gavino200 said:

The ICE-1 was the first high-speed train I ever saw. That's decades ago now but I still remember how blown away by it I was. I didn't actually get to ride in an ICE until last year. It was a long overdue wish come true. I also wish we had some high speed rail in the US. At least in some densely populated corridors, but it's frustrating how much resistance there is to it. For now, at least high speed trains are just one more reason to travel.

I saw the ICE-V, the predecessor to the ICE-1 (looks very similar) as it pulled into Offenburg Hbf in Spring 1986 on a promotional tour run (as I've mentioned before).  It was like seeing a space ship land or something from a movie.   I was sitting in a commuter wagon (Nahverkehrswagen of some sort) on the way to Freiburg (i.B.), waiting for my train to leave, so only got to see it through the window for a couple minutes.

I've yet to ride on an ICE train though I did pop onto one or two in Munich Hbf a few times while they were waiting to go so I could take a quick look around (early 90s).   Very impressive at the time.  I've since been on a million and a half Shinkansen rides, but I still want to ride ICE trains when we go to Germany in 2020.  They look cool and would be a fulfillment of my wishes that arose when I saw the first ICE-V come into the station and what looked like air-suspension release and let the wagon down to platform level.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, chadbag said:

I've yet to ride on an ICE train though I did pop onto one or two in Munich Hbf a few times while they were waiting to go so I could take a quick look around (early 90s).   Very impressive at the time.

That's exactly where I saw them. Early nineties also. We could have both been standing there at the same time, gawking at the same trains. 

• Haha 1
On 9/28/2018 at 1:27 AM, Need for High Speed said:

So you the one he sold it to. I know who you ordered it from. Damn bro! 4 grand I am so jealous,  but I am only planning to getting the 6 car set for 900 from japan using the middle man is plenty of money for me. Post more pictures or a video of it please

On 9/28/2018 at 6:38 PM, Need for High Speed said:

Then why did you buy it? I might wonder. You must have paid a ton of good money for it to travel all the way from Florida. So you may as well buy some nice track to run it on even if its just a loop. What are you planning to do with all that Shinkansen? Although I think I read it wrong, you got it for a friend right?

Its not that expensive, I paid like 230 usd for mine. Even with the shipping and fees Buyee gives you it was only about 290 not bad. Plus it had four pieces of track with it in the package because the person I got it from had it in a display case and included the track it was sitting on. But Its Kato Ho concrete track and I have all Bachmann E-Z track.

People ether have or want an HO Shinkansen and don't even have proper track? I am not being judgmental but track is the easy part mostly.

As you gathered, I didn't order it for myself. My friend doesn't have an eBay or PP account.

But we had some fun at the day he came to pick it up 😉

a0c6d231-baf6-4ced-8e5d-a6ad4c6ea4dd.thumb.jpg.c38764af9ec80fd17e9ec5a4ca52f3a9.jpg

Now it's out of my hands.

But I'll see it running next summer at a Teppichbahn Event in Germany, there will be enough track even for this beauty.

IMG_20180922_152457.jpg

• Like 1

Not sure this counts as post delivering or ordering as I had to go and get it myself, but I was given a decent sized layout over the weekend. I think he said that it was 12 foot by 24 foot.

Please pardon the poor picture quality, the wide angle lens on my phone is scratched from when the cover was broken.

1001181339d.jpg

1001181339.jpg

1001181339b.jpg

1001181339e.jpg

1001181339c.jpg

1001181339a.jpg

And this is how it came home yesterday:

1002181728.jpg

Fully disassembled and ready to be put into storage until further notice set up and finished so I can run my fancy DCC stuff at home and not just at club events.

That top level should make a good place to run high speed stuff like my Amtrak and a future Shinkansen...

Edited by GDorsett
  • Like 6
  • Confused 1

Wow, thats quite the haul!  Be careful that the wood doesn't get wet while in storage or transport, or you might have to start over.

• Like 1

Oh, I have a room for it...it's just not empty...at all...

Going to set up what I can in the garage so I can start rebuilding the benchwork.

Going to be interesting...

• Like 4

AAAAAAHHHH

EF510-500 WITH DCC AND SOUND

1006181442.jpg

AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

1006181445.jpg

It's very loud...like, hurt your ears level of loud. I know they'll hear THIS at the big train events...

It is definitely a used model, but is in good shape. There's no issues with the body and all the steps are present as well as the railings. There is some gear noise, but I'm going to fix that as soon as I can figure out how to get into these tiny powered trucks. Think I'm going to do a mass tune-up sessions here soon because I've got quite a few models with a lot of miles on them that need work.

• Like 3

I find doing a mass maintenance session is good as you will get faster at popping things open and figuring things out quickly. I find when I do one in isolation it’s pretty slow, but the second closely after is much faster and easier! It’s a zen sort of thing...

cheers

jeff

shadowtiger25

I got the ten car #2 set of these

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10493894

804725441_286958.thumb.jpg.33c22e9ddb4244bb93b4fcd40ae419a9.jpg806021477_96542.thumb.jpg.ea0c17590952d17b054a99ac28669e02.jpg806026034_83904.thumb.jpg.fd308782794e269a7fa39a46955a995c.jpg

And added a real coal load to them all, because I hate the plastic coal

806118755_170182.thumb.jpg.e2ac9001f36614156f0ad68e35958200.jpg

I also have the #1 set coming from a buying service because Hobby search sold out of them.. Now All I need is a couple of D51's in Hokkaido style to make it complete...

• Like 3