What did you order or the post deliver? (HO and other scales)

bikkuri bahn

I had to ask how to get into my DE10 a few months ago. There's a lot to be said for asking whether anyone else has had one apart without breaking it, these models aren't cheap and I'll ask before risking it.

Older Marklin was generally fairly obvious, just undo screws until it comes apart (having fitted Lokpilots to everything from 1950s to 1990s locos).

shadowtiger25

Got my new decoder for my Tenshodo class 9600

sounds great! and the motor control is amazing, super slow at speed step 1! This one was optimized for this model by the retailer and I love KumaTa's DCC Loksound!

Its aslo my first of the LokSoound V5 I have gotten, and I am certainly impressed

a42837b1-9ac3-4aac-9e91-c143482bf8ce.thumb.jpg.ac7e1becaa6dc95d9e7e150a9670c484.jpg

• Like 2
shadowtiger25
14 minutes ago, GDorsett said:

Did ESU do the sounds or did someone else?

KumaTa did the sounds

ESU doesn't service Japanese trains with sound files unfortunately so I have to pay a premium for them

however there are sound files that are vary similar that are on there for the diesel and electric locos but not steam 

Looks great!  Once you have the decoder are you able to access the sound files, or are you stuck with only what they send you?

Martijn Meerts

Would love to see / hear a video.. I'm still contemplating adding sound to my H0j / H0e. (Leaning towards no sound though, since H0e loco's tend to be too small to fit a decent speaker)

shadowtiger25
10 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

Looks great!  Once you have the decoder are you able to access the sound files, or are you stuck with only what they send you?

No, you can not access the sound-files

7 hours ago, Martijn Meerts said:

Would love to see / hear a video.. I'm still contemplating adding sound to my H0j / H0e. (Leaning towards no sound though, since H0e loco's tend to be too small to fit a decent speaker)

I will try to get one as soon as I can

• Like 1
On 9/8/2019 at 12:49 PM, al camino said:

The shipment 3 weeks ago brought an OHAFU13 to make a 5 car train from my 4 car train. 

And my first baggage car - a MANI36. A good addition to the SUYU13 that came to me in May.

Unfortunately the EF58 for my Tsubame (Aodaisho) suffered from a longitudinal impact 😟

896515388_EF58damage.thumb.JPG.39daa4fda8e9b259a13f0b03f1eeaba4.JPG

Update:

The shipment yesterday brought a surprise.

I received alot of wheels:

Endo spoke wheels for several Endo PRUS kits and to replace the awful molded plastic wheelset of Model Icon SEKI8000.

NIKKO spoke wheels for the One Mile SERA1 and HobbyModel WAKI1000.

Tomix TR 41 bogies for the WOKIFU100 kit.

And in between the TORA90000, WAKI1000 and WAMU70000 kit boxes there was a folded cardboard envelop ("Replacement Parts for order #19...").

After openeing I could see 3 bags with some light green and black parts.

Yeah! Thank you Hobby Search for successfully contacting Tramway/Dauphine.

HS asked me to be patient after a few weeks without reply by Tramway/Dauphine.

I had been patient - and here we are.

Now I have to remove the broken handrail pins from the shell and replace them.

Antenna wiring is just plugged in and should be no problem to be replaced.

Great!

sIMGP5186.JPG

sIMGP5189.JPG

Edited by al camino
as usual -> typos
  • Like 5
shadowtiger25
On 10/25/2019 at 1:59 AM, Martijn Meerts said:

Well, the video quality is not great, and although I would like a different speaker, it think this one is ok. I dont really want to take it apart again to show how much the decoder takes up, but most of the tender is now filled with it with mabye some room on the top with room enough for the speaker beside it. I dont think they sent me the micro version however as I have a V4 micro that is much smaller. Ether way, I hope this helps

• Like 1
Martijn Meerts

Not bad at all.. The whistle sounds a bit weird, like the sound is being started multiple times.

But yeah, you still get the somewhat thin plastic sound from the speaker. Not much to be done about that though, apart from building a custom speaker. It seems ESU is really pushing their small square 'sugar cube' speaker, which isn't a very good one, and their modular system of building the sound box (from plastic bits) doesn't do much to improve sound either.

I installed a LokSound in a Kato H0 E5 once, ended up using a custom speaker, and built a small sound box from 1mm MDF. That actually ended up sound rather well, but obviously, not with actual E5 sounds since I didn't have those. I could do something similar with the 9600 I'm building, but I don't want some locomotives with sound, and others without 🙂

shadowtiger25
3 hours ago, Martijn Meerts said:

Not bad at all.. The whistle sounds a bit weird, like the sound is being started multiple times.

But yeah, you still get the somewhat thin plastic sound from the speaker. Not much to be done about that though, apart from building a custom speaker. It seems ESU is really pushing their small square 'sugar cube' speaker, which isn't a very good one, and their modular system of building the sound box (from plastic bits) doesn't do much to improve sound either.

I installed a LokSound in a Kato H0 E5 once, ended up using a custom speaker, and built a small sound box from 1mm MDF. That actually ended up sound rather well, but obviously, not with actual E5 sounds since I didn't have those. I could do something similar with the 9600 I'm building, but I don't want some locomotives with sound, and others without 🙂

Im sure the modular box is why it sounds like that. But it works for now until I can get a better one.

As for the whisle starting multiple times, I'm going to attribute that to the fact that I was running it from the decoder tester on the LokProgrammer from my computer, clicking the functions is not the same as pressing a button on a throttle. I think I may have clicked the button multiple times for the long whistle. 

And I can understand wanting them all to have or none to have. That's where I stand right now. I think I have 4 more to put sound in, but I plan on making custom files for those. Just my SL's I wanted to have the sounds from that company as Japanese SL's seam to be rather quite compared to many others and I can not get the hang of making those kinds of custom files.

Edited by shadowtiger25
Martijn Meerts

Making the running sounds for a steam locomotive is rather complicated. I've looked into that on the LokProgrammer as well just to see if I could figure out how it works, but it's not easy, even if you have good quality sounds specifically recorded for the purposes of a sound decoder.

I'm pretty sure I'll skip the sound decoders. That might leave extra space for a larger decoder and / or an ESU powerpack. I don't actually know how much space I'll have in the kits I'm building. The IMON 9600 has plenty room in the tender of course, but no power pickup in it, and no electrical connection between loco and tender. There should also be enough room in the loco itself, but not sure it'll be very accessible afterwards in case the decoder needs to be replaced. It's still very much experimentation for now.

This all started with an AmiAmi sale, I noticed they had Tomix HO Taki1000 for a very reasonable price, I committed myself to buy 3 of them along with some of the HO Unitrack they had on sale.  Of course due to limited supply they had a limit of 1 on the Taki1000 which was ok with me (for now) so I sent the order off. Then I was searching the forums and saw RG Rokko listed a few times, I never checked their site before but noticed they had the Kato Taki1000 on for a very reasonable price, so once again I committed myself to 3 of them only to find out they only had one in stock...so to make myself feel better I added a very well priced Kato DE10 and Koki 104 two pack. I pretty much broke every rule I had about Japanese HO. I told myself when I started 1 locomotive and 10 Koki and a single DMU. I now have 4 locomotives, 15 Koki, 2 Hoki, 2 Taki and 2 DMUs. 

For those wondering  the Tomix Taki has slightly better detail over the Kato, but the Kato bogies have much better detail over the Tomix. They are both very nice models though, I would buy both again, and plan to get at least 4 more at some point to have 6 of them for the DE10 to pull.  😉

jrho.thumb.JPG.f1136488b857624ce027cb5d1beb2bd5.JPG

• Like 7

What do they have the Kato KoKi 104 listed for? I'm always game for more 104.

Edit: order closed, never mind.

Edited by GDorsett
7 hours ago, keiichi77 said:

This all started with an AmiAmi sale, I noticed they had Tomix HO Taki1000 for a very reasonable price, I committed myself to buy 3 of them along with some of the HO Unitrack they had on sale.  Of course due to limited supply they had a limit of 1 on the Taki1000 which was ok with me (for now) so I sent the order off. Then I was searching the forums and saw RG Rokko listed a few times, I never checked their site before but noticed they had the Kato Taki1000 on for a very reasonable price, so once again I committed myself to 3 of them only to find out they only had one in stock...so to make myself feel better I added a very well priced Kato DE10 and Koki 104 two pack. I pretty much broke every rule I had about Japanese HO. I told myself when I started 1 locomotive and 10 Koki and a single DMU. I now have 4 locomotives, 15 Koki, 2 Hoki, 2 Taki and 2 DMUs. 

For those wondering  the Tomix Taki has slightly better detail over the Kato, but the Kato bogies have much better detail over the Tomix. They are both very nice models though, I would buy both again, and plan to get at least 4 more at some point to have 6 of them for the DE10 to pull.  😉

jrho.thumb.JPG.f1136488b857624ce027cb5d1beb2bd5.JPG

Yes I was the same. Started out with a simple Kato EF65 and said I wouldn’t expand much further into HO apart from a few wagons. Now have 7 locos, a range of different coaches, 18 Kokis, 14 Takis and 3 JNR KIHA consists, in addition to all my N gauge stuff.

Some of the stock is just so reasonably priced, it’s difficult to resist, especially the Kato products which are often half the price of Tomix. They do lack some of the finer details but are great value and always run well. Thank goodness OJ is way out of my price range to take away any temptation.

The Koki and Taki stock is a great way to build up a full length train pretty cheaply and then collect containers as you go.

Great find though, I can’t believe I missed out in that Kato Eneos Taki. I’m always on the look out for more but the Tomix versions look good. I know they do a tail light version too.

Could you give more info on the extra detail on the body of the Tomix Takis?

I know I had to paint half the ladder grey on the Kato ones to look closer to the prototype.

Edited by Kamome
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Kamome said:

Could you give more info on the extra detail on the body of the Tomix Takis?

I know I had to paint half the ladder grey on the Kato ones to look closer to the prototype.

The Tomix cars have finer detail on the brake cylinders and other under body equipment. By no means is the Kato detail bad though and you have to love the spinning roller bearings on the Kato bogies.

Tomix https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10429064/20/1

Kato https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10055375/20/1

AmiAmi currently has the tail light version on sale now for 4680Y (which is 2800y off retail).  I am kicking myself for not ordering it.

https://www.amiami.com/eng/detail/?scode=RAIL-22533

7 hours ago, GDorsett said:

Is there a way to see how many of a particular item is in stock?

Add one to your cart, go into your cart and keep adding more until it says no more can be added due to no stock...or something like that.  That's what happened when I tried to order more then one Taki.

Edited by keiichi77

Many of the shops put a limit of the number you can order at times so they can spread out new stuff and not snapped up by a few.

jeff

4 hours ago, keiichi77 said:

AmiAmi currently has the tail light version on sale now for 4680Y (which is 2800y off retail). 

Yes I saw it but I’ve had to refrain due to it getting close to Kato Mizukaze month. Thanks for the description regarding Tomix Takis. Never had the ability to see one as most shops just have the silver boxes stacked in cabinets. I’m also looking at extending a Japan Oil Terminal train and I know Ami have the Taki 1000s in blue also on offer.