What did you order or the post deliver? (HO and other scales)

bikkuri bahn

Really? I’ve not seen that.

Its a bit misleading for the site to do that. 

I would assume the shop website takes the info directly off the Kato website. Usually all the relevant information for the entire range is all grouped together whether for the motor car or not.

Edited by Kamome

Yes, HS is a good example of this practice

HS usually clearly indicated which car is motorized by indicating an (M) next to the item name. The the copy-pasted description also often involves a list of possible formations with an (M) to indicate which one is the motorized car.

Where did you buy it?

5 hours ago, Martijn Meerts said:

I think what he meant was that the store specifies the model is equipped with a flywheel drive, while those models actually don't have a motor at all 🙂

Yeah, that. This is what I'm confused about. You all say the models are unpowered, but the store says "flywheel equipped" and the couplers I ordered are still on backorder, so I have no way to tell.

Bought it from PlazaJapan on EBay, since I've had that link on my watchlist for some time.

And to answer a question, no, flywheels are not necessary for DCC. That said, however, they do greatly improve the running quality. Had a Rivarossi GG1 that ran beautifully on DC power, but ran like crap with a decoder.

Edited by GDorsett

As Kiha66 stated, only one comes motorized from the factory, a KiHa58 (1-601).

Edited by disturbman

Its here!  Shipped Monday morning, delivery before noon on Tuesday.  I'm looking forward to installing all the details, and very tempted for the upcoming kiha 81 release next month.

20190409_112736.thumb.jpg.8f68fb1f89d67b4aa487c14128c91866.jpg

20190409_113513.thumb.jpg.f55608b678bedf364c09e47917307916.jpg

Now I just have to figure out how to open the shells for dcc...

Edited by Kiha66
  • Like 7

Hi to all of you KIHA80 receivers

What did post deliver today?

Nothing! 

exept the notice to wait for the customs letter. 3rd time I got HS shipment delivery. 2 times perfectly fast and without any issue. Courier delivery with collecting tax on delivery at my front door.

Today: 6:40 tracking message - out for physical delivery by courier. Yeah!

Expecting courier at around noon.

But then - 11:20 - tracking message - shipment redirected to customs department of postal service to be forwarded to your customs office. Please expect the notifcation letter from customs. Gnnnnfff! 😞

Nothing else happened but the curier did not find my address in time. It is more easy to forward to customs instead of ... what ever. Why did I have to provide my telephone number?

A boring evening with no KI HA82-HA80-RO80-RO80-SHI80-H80-HA82 and no WAKI8000 kit and no possibility to make a 8 car train out of my my 4 car reefer express train (RESA10000/REMUFU1000).

Had to open a bottle of wine ...

Edited by al camino
added a 0 to RESA1000
  • Sad 2

Still waiting on my double-headed couplers to arrive so I can actually get the KiHas I ordered and now know that I can't actually run. Well there goes 200 that I could spent on other stuff.

The bottle of wine makes me careless. I'm fiddling around to find out how many KIHA items I have to order additionally to make a third KIHA80 train to be hauled by a EF71 (outch - also has to be ordered). This idea came as I read the entries above.

Is any other loco capable of doubleheading a KIHA80 train?

Even if I do not intend to be 100% prototypical I want to avoid to be too wrong.

Could a ED75 or ED76 do this job?

On 4/10/2019 at 3:33 PM, GDorsett said:

https://media.makeameme.org/created/SO-IT-WOULD.jpg

It's only been almost two weeks. My fault for not seeing the "backordered item" in the description, but still surprised at how long it takes for a set of couplers to be moulded.

The coupler will be mouled in seconds - but how long does it take to decide to set up the machinery with this mould.

Also how long does it take for retailer to collect enough orders to forward these to manufacturer ...

I shared this many times before. Knowing the manufacturer well and knowing ther is NO order - at the same time knowing there are customers orders at retailer ...

At shool time I had worked in a model railroad shop to collect money for the hobby. I saw the list of orders and was told to wait until a specific number of items has been reached. Saving shopkeeper's money ...

I was told that the store submitted the order as soon as they received my payment, so maybe there were other people waiting as well. Was really hoping to have those KiHas this weekend, but oh well.

1 hour ago, al camino said:

Is any other loco capable of doubleheading a KIHA80 train?

2x EF63s used to help Kiha 82 formations over the Usui Pass. Also google images showed up these photos of an EF58 or an EF15.

1 hour ago, al camino said:

additionally to make a third KIHA80 train to be hauled by a EF71 (outch - also has to be ordered).

Sorry about that!!

D92BD407-A4FC-49B8-92A2-5CFB5202E24E.jpeg

070ACEA7-0093-4F4A-A575-1EBEA7FC129A.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Hi Kamome

Great! The EF58 willmake it. I love this engine - in fact the very first JNR loco I got in touch to.

As well as the bonnet style trains lot of axles attract me. 2'Co'Co'2' or 4-6-6-4 also can be found also on Loewy designed Pennsy GG-1 or (nearly) on BLS Ae6/8.

With an EF58 I went loco for JNR ... 🙂

And any front porch locos are welcome. Look at the SD40 ...

O.K. no need to order a EF71 - saved money!

But my brown EF58 already is dispatched to some OHAs and SUHAs plus one SUNI of same color.

Seems to lead to another order of either an EF15 (preferred) or a blue EF58 - the green one by Tramway/Dauphine just had been restocked ... Ouuuuh - decisions ...

Edited by al camino
Added GG-1, swapped Ae8/6 to 6/8 - and I should learn to write correct sentences.

I just realized the EF58 drags a 4 car KIHA! Perfect. This matches to my idea to have not too long trains and stay somewhat prototypical.

Will someone blame me if I opt for the light green EF58 Aodaisho?

Edited by al camino
spent a "v" to correct a typo

I cant say about the green ef58, but I know that 4 car trains were actually quite common, especially in later years as the sets were used in more local services.

Yeah I think the green EF58s were just on the Hato/Tsubame services with matching green coaches. But no one will blame you as they’re a really nice livery

Anyone with the kiha82 know how to attach this part (e-2)?  These little tanks seem to go on under the ends of the cars but the directions arent very clear and I cant find a way to attach them.

ee6ae9d6-fb78-4591-b9eb-080bb729dbc4.thumb.jpg.c3d0c27cc01fb5491c24874f8a31e2c3.jpg

shadowtiger25
11 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

Anyone with the kiha82 know how to attach this part (e-2)?  These little tanks seem to go on under the ends of the cars but the directions arent very clear and I cant find a way to attach them.

20190411_100802.thumb.jpg.38880ece2760da79a07ccb910707e071.jpg20190411_100743.thumb.jpg.537f8e5db6eae45fb468046f58ed26da.jpg 

sorry about the orientation, but they go on the underside.

It seams everyone picked up some of these

• Thanks 1
shadowtiger25
On 4/9/2019 at 2:51 PM, Kiha66 said:

Its here!  Shipped Monday morning, delivery before noon on Tuesday.  I'm looking forward to installing all the details, and very tempted for the upcoming kiha 81 release next month.

Now I just have to figure out how to open the shells for dcc...

Its just like every other. however, with the plug in the motor car, you need to get a pin plug that will fit in the slot, and you may have to bend seats out of the way to plug it in. Its what I had to do. I used a Digitrax Z/N/HO decoder Model DZ143PS

Mostly because that was what I had available in my city's only "hobby room"

• Like 1
3 hours ago, shadowtiger25 said:

sorry about the orientation, but they go on the underside.

It seams everyone picked up some of these

Are the two pegs on the tank supposed to plug in to something?  The only place I can see for them to fit is the loop on the coupler assembly, but they don't seem to fit right as they just fall out whenever I try it.

2 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

Are the two pegs on the tank supposed to plug in to something?  The only place I can see for them to fit is the loop on the coupler assembly, but they don't seem to fit right as they just fall out whenever I try it.

These are the bits I was complaining about in an earlier post.

The loop on the coupler is where they go. Most have them only on one side. 

Out of all the ones I fitted, only 2 went on as supposed to. Most were bending the loop as I tried to push them into place.  I shaved some of the plastic off the pegs on the inside of the part on a few.

The two on the Kishi really wouldn’t fit well so I had to remove the 2 pegs completely and glue them in place. I removed the coupler assembly to do this which required taking the shell off to get to the clips holding them in place. 

Just make sure you fit them on the correct side of the coupler assembly.

Edited by Kamome
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, they really dont fit well at all, I was convinced I must have been missing something.  Really odd kato droped the ball here when all the other parts are so well done.

Edited by Kiha66

The Kiha 58s use a similar/if not same part. The pegs looked fatter on the Kiha 82 ones so could be an older, degraded mold.

The 58s slid on without issue. These new ones needed persuading with a lot of foul language.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It seems the pegs on mine are too close to the tank details, there's not enough room for the loop to slide on.  I'll try shaving off some of the pegs to get it to fit better, I still am disappointed by this small mistake on an otherwise excellent model.