What did you order or the post deliver? (HO and other scales)

bikkuri bahn

John P Boogerd

I love that Tramway engine - and that is one of my favorite engine types as well - how do their models compare to Kato and Tomix?

John P Boogerd

I bought a 7-car brass container train by Endo but I can't get the pictures to post - nice for my Toshiba EF30, though.

At the recent model railway exhibition at Liverpool I saw a very simple but effective layout that was basically a crossing loop set in very well-executed Australian scenery. My mate Dave is keen to build something along similar lines but with a generic Japanese station and scenery. Initially I wasn't all that keen, but I'm gradually warming to the idea. Hence my ordering this and other JNR stock.

Nice to have a layout where you can let a long train out and just run it.  With the fixed formation main line EMUs it's about the only way to enjoy them.

• Like 1
I love that Tramway engine - and that is one of my favorite engine types as well - how do their models compare to Kato and Tomix?

So far the only Tramway engine I have is their DD13, and I'm very happy with it. The detail and finish is similar to models from Kato and Tomix, perhaps not quite as refined, but still very good. The running and performance is excellent. Here's a photo of the DD13 staright out of the box, without any of the detail parts applied;

5162336713_e559b7d437_b.jpg

Cheers,

Mark.

Nice to have a layout where you can let a long train out and just run it.  With the fixed formation main line EMUs it's about the only way to enjoy them.

That's the plan at the moment. Just got to get various other projects finished first!  :cheesy

Cheers,

Mark.

My Tramway EF60 arrived today. Haven't had a chance to run it, but my first impression is that it's a very nice model indeed, easily the equal of Kato or Tomix. I think it's a bit better in terms of detail and finish to their previous DD13. And it's bloody heavy! My Kato Series 165 EMUs also arrived, needless to say they're beautiful as well. Hopefully I'll get down to the club on Friday night and give them a run.

Cheers,

Mark.

The missus let me spend a bit of my overtime money on models, so I visited the local hobby shop and got some bits and pieces. 6 Peco code 75 turnouts, 25 metres of flextrack, and 25 metres of Trackrite underlay. On the way home I visted the local timber merchants and picked up some 9mm and 12mm plywood. I'll have some leave early in the new year, time to start building the portable layout mentioned above.

Apart from that, I picked up a NWSL Stanton drive, and ordered these:

10170504a.jpg

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10170504

10042171a4.jpg

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10042171

10003655a3.jpg

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10003655

Should keep me busy for a while!

And I took the EF60 and the Series165 EMU to the club for a run - they're both superb.

Cheers,

Mark.

Hmmm, are we finally going to see the beginnings of the creation of Komatsu? :grin

cheers NB

G'day Nick,

I'm glad someone remembered my plans for Komatsu!  :grin  But no, that's a long-term project, as it requires a fair bit of scratchbuilding.

What Dave and I are building will be a simple rural station, with a reasonable amount of room for scenery. We've decided to base the layout on the Kominato Railway station at Yorokeikoku.

aruku1017n.jpg

It has a simple track layout, but it still has good operational possibilities. Trains can run through, they can stop, they can cross another train, they can shunt the siding, or they can terminate, run around and return in the direction they came from. I think it should be an interesting layout for an exhibition audience. As an aside, I think that a lot of modellers equate operation with vast amounts of unnecessarily complicated trackwork. Whereas I tend to think just as I do when I'm at work - what's the bare minimum needed to do the job?

At any rate, our version of Yorokeikoku will be generic enough so that we can run either JNR or private railway stock without it looking too strange, hopefully. And it will be electrified.

I'm thinking of calling it "Takiguchi", in honour of my local station and workplace. Yorokeikoku I think might be a bit much for the average Australian!  :grin

All the best,

Mark.

The Tomix DF50 arrived yesterday. It's like a housebrick with wheels - it's unbelievably heavy. It also has a large number of etched detail parts, which surprised me. Haven't run it yet, but I think it will be very impressive. If it doesn't damage the track!  :grin

Cheers,

Mark.

The Tomix DF50 arrived yesterday. It's like a housebrick with wheels - it's unbelievably heavy. It also has a large number of etched detail parts, which surprised me. Haven't run it yet, but I think it will be very impressive. If it doesn't damage the track!  :grin

Cheers,

Mark.

Like the O scale club located in the basement of Denver (Colorado) Union Station. They had to replace the rails on their handlaid track with heavier rail after a trio of D&RGW L-105 4-6-6-4s (individually, not triple-heading) mangled the original track beyond redemption...

Cheers NB

Fockinell! They must have been impressively heavy models to do that!

Cheers,

Mark.

You bet, AFAIK the locos can handle prototype-sized trains over the layout. Model Railroader magazine told this story when they visited the club a long time ago. However the locos did not do it in one go, the wear was spread over a period of time.

cheers NB

I ordered a bunch of T-Gauge track for my micro layout, as well as a KiHa 47/48 combo, and a bare KiHa chassis from TrainAidsA. I also ordered a test run of my KiHaYuNi shell from Shapeways. 

I'll post pics when stuff comes!

Ordered this, http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10166303, should be docking here soon. Although of Japanese prototype it is a design which could just about be found the world over, this one will go to my HOn30 sugar mill line...

Hint, hint... between these Tsugawa freight cars, the Minitrains Koppel 0-4-0T and the Arumo coaches and gas car, one could model an iteration of the Utsube and Hachioji lines before they went electric after WWII...

Cheers NB

• Like 1

New multimeter showed up. Woo hoo now 1" numbers I don't have to squint at and a built in stand to prop it up to see easily. Also good beep continuity tester. Also picked up a pair of needle probes for it. Also some solder paste to try with magnet wire and SMS LEDs.

Jeff

Tsugawa HOn30 "Wa". Cute little beast, I'll sure get more of them! Although of Japanese prototype they look very European, even British. They remind me of the box vans used on the Geldersche Stoomtramweg in the Netherlands. They definitively would look very Geldersche-looking in a string behind an Egger-Bahn Henschel steam tram.

Cheers NB

post-321-13569930382069_thumb.jpg

post-321-13569930382847_thumb.jpg

Nice little van, Nick. I can see the similarity between these and the stoomtram vans...

ZE-GZ-609.jpg

But I think they would look better behind a Breda tram than a Henschel!  :grin

GebouwM.jpg

All the best,

Mark.

• Like 1

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft: WOW! What a picture!!!

Andreas Schoenfeld of Minitrains International has announced the intention of producing even more Minitrains equipment. I hope he brings back the Egger-Bahn Henschel steam tram + coach. I had one during my childhood and it was my favourite locomotive.

Don't forget...between the Tsugawa freight cars, Arumodel gasoline railcar and coaches and the Minitrains Koppel you could be well on modelling an iteration of the Utsube and Hachioji lines before the wires came up.

Cheers NB

• Like 1

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft: WOW! What a picture!!!

Nick, it's a beauty, yeah? Glad you liked it! I didn't realise you were a fan of Dutch steam tramways. I have a fair bit of material on these and other lines if you're interested.

Andreas Schoenfeld of Minitrains International has announced the intention of producing even more Minitrains equipment. I hope he brings back the Egger-Bahn Henschel steam tram + coach. I had one during my childhood and it was my favourite locomotive.

I can easily see why. I wasn't being too serious in my comment re Breda vs. Henschel you know, I think they're gorgeous little engines. But I've never seen an Egger-Bahn model in the flesh, so to speak, so I'd be fascinated if they were to be made available again.

Don't forget...between the Tsugawa freight cars, Arumodel gasoline railcar and coaches and the Minitrains Koppel you could be well on modelling an iteration of the Utsube and Hachioji lines before the wires came up.

You wouldn't be trying to drop a subtle hint, would you?  :cheesy

All the best,

Mark.

Ordered another Kotoden car. I've only got one in the "retro" livery and I think it looks a bit lonely...  :grin

10116501a2.jpg

Cheers,

Mark.

Krackel Hopper

I was at a train show this past weekend and scored BIG!  Or small.. depending on how you look at it!

A swap dealer happen to have a large lot of Kato stuff on his table.  He was trying to pitch these to me by saying how easy I could make them look "more American" and I laughed and said I'd prefer they stay Japanese as that is what I model.  He then walks around the counter, and pulls out two cases.  Says to me, "These are not N scale, but they are Japanese if you're interested."

He showed me two Pro Z cases.  The Series 20 seven car set (EF65 + 6 series 20 cars) and the seven car set E231 Yamanote Line.  Both brand new in their cases.  I said they looked great but would be too expensive for me to purchase.  You know what he tells me?  $100 a set!  I just stared at the set, I had looked at this blue train on Hobby Search many times and knew it's retail was roughly $250.  Before I could say anything, my father (who models N scale B&O/C&O/WM Chessie) says "He'll take it!"

I was going to purchase both sets, but this vendor only dealt in cash, and I did not have that kind of cash on hand.. plus, while the E231 looks great and was an insane deal, it isn't really my style.  However, I have now stepped beyond the bounds on N scale and will start to look at Z scale.  I don't see myself getting too involved in Z scale, at least not until Dr. Yellow makes his Z scale debut!

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10056835

I've picked up a couple of HO scale trams for a new project - a simple tramway layout for my son Harry. He quite likes "bendy" trams, so I've gotten him some Düwags for starters:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TRAM-ROCO-8502-H0-1-87-PERFETTO-BOX-RIVAROSSI-ROCO-FLEISCHMANN-LIMA-/130634295045?pt=Modellismo_Dinamico&hash=item1e6a692705#ht_548wt_1032

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/330635562808?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_1589wt_1017

Should be fun!  :grin

Cheers,

Mark.