What did you order or the post deliver? (HO and other scales)

bikkuri bahn

The Kato DE10 is an excellent model, although I hope you're ready for a hobby knife and some tweezers. A little glue may help with the MU and brake hoses as well. The Katp DE10 also has an 8-pin DCC socket, so it's easy to upgrade as long as you can find something that physically fits. Mine has now survived two operating sessions, although I have lost one grab-iron and two steps and haven't yet figured out where they went.

I have both, and a bottle of Glue 'n Glaze. Have found it perfect for fixing detailing parts as it's solvent free, dries clear, and will peel off if it gets out of the joint. I've seen one in the newer JRF livery for a very sensible price, assuming it's still available next week I'll order one.

May have also ordered a Tomix KoKi 106. It popped up on ebay for £22 including P&P...

It doesn't look as if Tomix have offered any ISO tank containers for the KoKi 200 yet?

My low-cab 103 series from Tenshodo finally got a run tonight on the club layout. As you’d expect, it runs flawlessly and looks beautiful while doing it. I’m tempted to get a few more of these trains in the other liveries...

Cheers,

Mark.

large.990FFBE7-24F0-4461-8DF7-6C070172D2

large.6D38F406-FEE1-4148-BD21-2887555621

large.77FBDF41-A209-4F20-AD2B-86A98A12F2

• Like 8
shadowtiger25

So, Got a new carrying system today from spring mills depot

It came with a carrying bag, four high capacity boxes, and divider strips

I can carry my entire fleet (which is not small) and I have space to expand!!

My last box was big, bulky, and could only carry a few things. IE just the 2 DD51s, 20 Seki 3000s and one yo500 with no room to spare. so this one is MUCH better, and It has a HANDLE!!

The website says that it can carry N scale as well, so anyone looking to carry a lot of N scale a should look in to this, as well as anyone who primarily takes there stuff to clubs and shows.

Great product for $150

sorry about some of the pics being turned around, they uploaded weird.) 

2057143789_trainpicsforinsucance1037.thumb.jpg.92bd4eed15e006c91d75ed716fc4f40c.jpg

729930636_trainpicsforinsucance1038.thumb.jpg.bfaf0ed997fb231a1e45d6cb6cffbeb9.jpg902892936_trainpicsforinsucance1042.thumb.jpg.72b8ec643dc0a413a863dcba1427dba7.jpg783361789_trainpicsforinsucance1041.thumb.jpg.2f604ed4246004013a795fd5bf50a20a.jpg1123270152_trainpicsforinsucance1040.thumb.jpg.b3c554b2fa439e0b577aa98cb883f80b.jpg2007375147_trainpicsforinsucance1039.thumb.jpg.a97c91432f46d3edc05883a901cf93e4.jpg

• Like 2

Spring Mills has their bags in stock again!?

How much are they? I've got five of these things and need a way to carry them.

Need for High Speed

150 bucks!? wow that is an expensive transport system. I would think they would be a lot less but what do I know for being some one who throws their boxes in a giant bag and doesn't care to think twice about it. but their is only so much that can fit in a bag and it takes more effort to keep track of multiple boxes and takes a lot longer to unpack and repack. so i have made custom carry boxes for each train as small as possible so I can fit more in a bag. But luckily the shinkansen boxes are quite compact and aren't an issue. Its the Amfleets that are the problem as usual. so ether I get three bags or find bigger ones. When it comes ti transporting your collection around their are many ways to do it that don't require buying expensive card board boxes

shadowtiger25
1 hour ago, Need for High Speed said:

but what do I know for being some one who throws their boxes in a giant bag and doesn't care to think twice about it. but their is only so much that can fit in a bag and it takes more effort to keep track of multiple boxes and takes a lot longer to unpack and repack.

Thats how I have been for the past 7 years. I have always hated doing that. And normally when I take more than one thing out, I spend more time unboxing and setting up, than I do enjoying my trains. This reduces time, and it also stores the trains for me.

Yes, its a but pricy, but to carry a fleet of trains with you, it is quite nice. Also, that is the price with shipping, and the weather prof bag was the most expensive item, the boxes themselfs are only 12 bucks each

20181203_121540.jpg

Edited by shadowtiger25

These boxes are quite handy and allow rapid setup and takedown of trains, and thus more fun time as tiger says! One of our club members has these and it’s super fast to setup out of them and keep the consists in the right order and orientation compared to the manufacturer boxes.

One small drawback is they are big so you either need a table space or set it on while grabbing things or carefully cradle thenbox in one arm while setting up with the other. On our layout there is usually not the space to set the box down right next to the loading areas, so if you need two hands for something you have to set the box down some where. This is where you need to be careful as one partially filled box set a Little precariously got knocked over.

but with all the investment we do in our trains it’s not a huge cost to get good transport storage if you go to a lot of shows. I could see ho manufacturer boxes getting quite big and bulky to pack and transport. Also a bit safer on n scale getting cars in and out as many of the manufacturer foam inserts can be quite tight and east to break something off with a bit of in attention at a show. Manufacturer cases also are a bit of weight in n scale, usually as much as the train itself so a box of cases can get quite heavy.

cheers

jeff

shadowtiger25
2 hours ago, chadbag said:

For the prices you H0 guys pay for your trains, a nice protective bag is probably a "low-cost" piece of insurance.

Thats par of the reason, not to mention I'm going to get personal property insurance for it anyway. I have way to much in this stuff to lose it all if something happens to it

I am slightly surprised that nobody seems to make a holdall for the N scale book cases. Thinking of the system Games Workshop offer for transporting wargaming miniatures which uses one type of their hard plastic cases with foam liners, and a backpack which one or two of them strap into for transport.

• Like 3

I've been using Spring Mills Depot boxes for some time now. Took my father several months to figure out how I was setting up and breaking down faster. SPD says they've had N-Trackers put N-scale into it with the cars upright, American trains are much taller than the relatively square Japanese trains, so I don't know how well it'll work.
Tell you what, though, without the foam strips, they can pack a LOT into them! I put a dozen KoKi, Dozen plus two WaMu, and four 12/3 series coaches into one box and it fits perfectly. Hoping to get a second box and have this one with two dozen KoKi and fill the other with WaMus. Can't say I'd trust locomotives in one of these, but I'm also paranoid, so that's a factor as well.

1 hour ago, shadowtiger25 said:

Thats par of the reason, not to mention I'm going to get personal property insurance for it anyway. I have way to much in this stuff to lose it all if something happens to it

Can relate. I tend to leave my stuff in my car for upwards of a week at a time because I'm too lazy to pull them out...at least until I realize how many thousands of dollars worth of new stuff and how many discontinues or rare items I have just sitting in the back seat. Goes back into the house really fast.

Need for High Speed

well how about moving all these boxes around? Not all of these are my trains about half of these belong to a good friend of mine and the others are mine. our collections combined is about 20 different high speed trains with a total worth we estimated at 6,000+ dollars. and that's because of my 500 series. but you see a gigantic Acela box I have made a special custom box for it that's very small and compact.

20181118_144109.jpg

Edited by Need for High Speed
Need for High Speed
8 hours ago, shadowtiger25 said:

the boxes themselfs are only 12 bucks each

well if that's the "case" (pun intended) 12 bucks why the hell not.

but why pay for the protective bag. it seems a waste of money when I can get giant plastic bags at Micheals at the check out counter. Then buy some Velcro straps or bungee cords to hold the boxes together and wrap the boxes in the plastic bags to protect them from rain. but the bag cover is easier to carry.

but with all the investment we do in our trains it’s not a huge cost to get good transport storage if you go to a lot of shows. I could see ho manufacturer boxes getting quite big and bulky to pack and transport. Also a bit safer on n scale getting cars in and out as many of the manufacturer foam inserts can be quite tight and east to break something off with a bit of in attention at a show. Manufacturer cases also are a bit of weight in n scale, usually as much as the train itself so a box of cases can get quite heavy.

Jeff

Good point Jeff HO in general has more detail and N scale the boxes are smaller. At the Timonium show someone from one of the N guage clubs came over to me all excited with their N scale E5 Hayabusa that was in a Kato book case I thought was nice and compact. They wanted to compare my HO Hyabusa to their N scale one. and Matthew a guy I met in New Mexico had their N scale trains in very similar boxes to what shadowtiger has.

Yep Matthew is our member with the case now living in New Mexico. He likes them and his 5 boxes houses a lot of his collection.

i think I would spring for the bag if I did it as that’s a whole lotta bucks in one bag and having something well fitted and good handles is good when schlepping stuff around and loading and unloading from vehicles. I use to just use misc boxes for show stuff but I’ve been slowly trying to get better boxes and more uniform to avoid the make do spots. I’ve probably loaded and uploaded layout or Ttrak like 75 times now and I’ve see the places where things can go amiss and you usually don’t consider the value of stuff in one small box until it goes missing or falls on the floor! 

I just see it as a good long term investment as sort of insurance. You might get away fine with a bag and Velcro, but one whoops could mean more than $60. The older I get the more I look back at the make dos I’ve done with all sorts of stuff to save some bucks usually and now mostly I realize it would have been smarter to start our much earlier with a better, more permanent solution. Good to be smart and say is this just for a hand full of times or will I be using it a lot over the years. Or is going to be handling a high value item(s). I do this with tools all the time, the things I use one e or twice a year I make do with a cheap or used tool, but something I will use many times and on more expensive projects I now get nice ones. Yes starting out I could not afford the nice ones at all but I learned as soon as I could it was better to get a good one for the high use one if I could even if it meant less money for other things for a while.

cheers

jeff

shadowtiger25
4 hours ago, Need for High Speed said:

well how about moving all these boxes around? Not all of these are my trains about half of these belong to a good friend of mine and the others are mine. our collections combined is about 20 different high speed trains with a total worth we estimated at 6,000+ dollars. and that's because of my 500 series. but you see a gigantic Acela box I have made a special custom box for it that's very small and compact.

20181118_144109.jpg

That is what I would be lugging around. Now I dont have to.

(Egnore tge mess please)

train_pics_for_insucance_914.thumb.jpg.4fe4055c194a57741d52edf8f8ad84dd.jpg

What really did it for me was my sells.it woukd take 45 minutes to unpack the cars, unwrap them, and unpack the coal loads.

20181203_130409.thumb.jpg.42311f90f45aba0c31c898db8c1f48ba.jpg

This is without the plastic, but I have 2 of these sets. It was the final straw so I caved and got the spring mills system.

Edited by shadowtiger25
re added a pic that disappeared
3 hours ago, Welshbloke said:

I am slightly surprised that nobody seems to make a holdall for the N scale book cases.

I’m sure I’ve seen a record bag style holdall for the bookcases in Tam Tam. Possibly a Poppondetta production like their JRF container folding boxes.

Need for High Speed
6 hours ago, chadbag said:

For the prices you H0 guys pay for your trains, a nice protective bag is probably a "low-cost" piece of insurance.

this is the most common sense comment about the transport cases for HO scale I've seen and we looked right over it.

Yeah Now I am seeing it, my 500 series, Hayabusa , Acela, and RENFE S-102 all those combined are worth like 3,300 dollars of stuff and I could fit all of them in one of those cases. and let alone having 4 or five of them. but on the other hand most other people on here own mostly commuter or freight trains and the high speed trains tend to be sold in nice boxes that have lots of protection and are designed for easy set up. but that's because the market for high speed trains and especially HO ones. are people who decide oh this may be cool as a one time thing and for those who collect lots of them seem not to take them to shows too much or at least the ones I go to, hence the fact (as Jeff knows) I did a special set up for High speed this year at a train show. but really in the over all grand scheme of things I think I am better off finding a larger shopping bag. but for the Amtrak equipment would be nice to get one of those boxes. and the locomotives are better off staying in their original boxes.

But I just can not justify my self spending 100 dollars on some foam and cardboard, that just feels a little too steep for me. but as chadbag said for the prices us HO modelers spend on our rolling stock its not that expensive to get proper transport systems. I mean I see these freight cars sell for like 80 bucks each (Hmmm... Would make a good birthday present though. The holidays are too close at this point.)

1 hour ago, Kamome said:

I’m sure I’ve seen a record bag style holdall for the bookcases in Tam Tam. Possibly a Poppondetta production like their JRF container folding boxes.

maybe this one from Poppondettta. it holds 6 cases. the zipper end staying attached makes it a little annoying to get the book cases in and out unfortunately, velcro would have been a better option and i may modify mine with a velcro flap on the underside. these were avaialable a few weeks ago when i did an amazon order and almost bought some more, i have 2 now. but at only 6 its not good for the big shows wheres its a couple of totes full like the poppendetta container ones but plain jane that just fit cases just right. these are handy for taking a few things to club meetings and lunches for show and tell or playing trains. i gave one as a baby present to one of our club members as a diaper bag use!

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B01N2W4DNZ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

cheers

jeff

Need for High Speed
17 minutes ago, GDorsett said:

Spring Mills Depot is at the GSMTS in Timonium. If you will be at the February show, I can direct you to their setup so you can see the displays of them.

I must have walked right by them and didn't notice. but yes I will be at the February show for one of the days, I will not have any set up of my own I'll be mucking up traffic on the big layouts.

I'd like to share my pleasure about a new addition to my favorite hood & high cab shaped EMUs/DMUs:

ETR250 L'Arlecchino, the Italian gray green luxury train of 1952 by ACME.

I am keen to add the KIHA81 next year.

IMGP4293.thumb.JPG.53bbe4e73bec1502aec7893dc02f5887.JPG

IMGP4290.thumb.JPG.f069bf920712faf4ccbf9549371fd87f.JPGIMGP4283.thumb.JPG.b474c842f4ac71cb67e1052000422725.JPG

• Like 6

Is that the unit also known as the Settebello (sp)? A handsome beast!

My first piece of Japanese 1:80 arrived:

Waiting for the KoKi 200 now, and also ordered a HV2 track pack while eBay had a 10% off code.

• Like 1