What did you order or the post deliver? (HO and other scales)

bikkuri bahn

Claude_Dreyfus

I've been mostly in US and British O mode lately, but I did preorder 6 more Hoki2200s and another Yo8000.

Dapol class 08 dare I ask?

I gave the Tramway Toden 7500 series tram a run this evening on the Kitchenbenchbahn. Like everything I have from this manufacturer, it's a very satisfying model in every respect. The details and finish are very good, it features illuminated destination boxes and the screens between the headlights - anyone know what they are? - and illuminated headlights and marker lights. It runs smoothly, quietly, and is very controllable over its speed range. I think I'll get at least one more of these cars, so it's not lonely! :)

gallery_22_66_663324.jpg

Again, sorry for the less-than-brilliant photo, but these days I'm limited to using the iPad for stuff like this.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 4

Mark,

The illuminated screens between the headlights were typically used for the (upper portion) route name, e.g.Arakawa line, or in later years, a sign indicating one man operation, while the smaller lower section was rarely used, but typically for a plate indicating a special run.

• Like 1

Thanks bb, I knew someone would know the answer. And yes, I got another one to keep this one company, plus a Modemo kit for a Toden 7000 series. I can feel a tramway micro-layout coming on... :)

Thanks again,

Mark.

• Like 2

I haven't had much modelling time these last few weeks, due to work and family commitments. But thanks to plenty of overtime, I've had a bit of a shopping spree.

As I mentioned above, I got another Tramway Toden car to keep the original company:

gallery_22_66_613757.jpg

gallery_22_66_520632.jpg

To add to my EMU fleet I got a Tomix Series 159 school excursion set. It's a gorgeous model, as you would expect. If I was a schoolkid going on an excursion, this is the train I'd want for it.

gallery_22_66_39893.jpg

gallery_22_66_685520.jpg

More to follow...

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 7

To go with my Mani 36s, I got a Mani 50 made by Nippon Seimitsu Models:

gallery_22_66_45041.jpg

gallery_22_66_200160.jpg

And some extra cars for my Tomix Series 153 EMU:

gallery_22_66_328011.jpg

gallery_22_66_318557.jpg

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 7

I've also added some more cars to my freight roster.

These are Seki 3000/6000s hopper wagons made by Tenshodo:

gallery_22_66_592733.jpg

gallery_22_66_685334.jpg

A new release from Aclass, a Wamu 80000 modified for iced fish traffic.

gallery_22_66_154021.jpg

gallery_22_66_268129.jpg

And a new release from Tramway, a Toki 25000 gondola or bogie open wagon, with a limestone load.

gallery_22_66_56717.jpg

gallery_22_66_604561.jpg

All of the freight cars need to be numbered, detailed and weathered...

Not all of the models I bought are ready to run. I also picked up some Modemo tram kits for next to nothing off a local auction site. A quartet of Tosaden 600 series cars and a Toden 7000.

gallery_22_66_1221172.jpg

I also got some other bits and pieces:

gallery_22_66_506729.jpg

Once I have a few book-off days, I'll do some actual modelling. That should keep me busy for a while! :)

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 8

All fine choices, Mark, although I especially like the 153 series EMU and the Okayama-based Seki 6000s.  I see all those freight cars have prefixes on their designations as we discussed in the nomenclature thread here http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/667-kuha-saha-moha-kiha-japanese-rail-car-nomenclature/page-3?do=findComment&comment=152542 .  I'm looking forward to seeing them behind a D51 or three :grin

• Like 1

ugg...heading down the HO road myself.....I promised myself no passenger trains except maybe a Kiha 40 if one is ever released ready to run, but then again I also promised myself only one HO Japanese locomotive and up to 10 Koki cars.   I failed that test, I have 2 more locomotives on order and 2 non Koki Hoki's.   Its all downhill from here, at least I am not going down alone ;)

• Like 1

To go with my Mani 36s, I got a Mani 50 made by Nippon Seimitsu Models:

gallery_22_66_45041.jpg

gallery_22_66_200160.jpg

There's many add-on pieces, but I'd have to say that overall it's much more detailed than the Kato and Tomix cars, which have molded-on grabs - even in HO!

• Like 1

Charles, loco-hauled cars in 1/80th scale made by Tomix and Kato have separate parts for details like handrails/grab irons.

Cheers,

Mark.

Charles, loco-hauled cars in 1/80th scale made by Tomix and Kato have separate parts for details like handrails/grab irons.

Is there some reason for the distinction between loco-hauled and DMU / EMU - I was going by what I had seen in those categories?

Charles,

My guess is that the loco hauled cars have free-standing handrails/grabs that project into the door opening, which makes them both very visible but easy to install. The newer EMUs and DMUs typically have recessed handrails, which would be more difficult to install, and not have the same visual impact. But there's exceptions - the Kato Kumoha40 models have separate grabs, but the Tomix Kumoni 83s are moulded on.

Cheers,

Mark.

Mark -

I was thinking specifically of the Tomix KuMoNi83.

As usual your photos have disappeared, but I recall noticing that all the grabs were molded on when you first posted the images.

Charles

I see all those freight cars have prefixes on their designations as we discussed in the nomenclature thread here http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/667-kuha-saha-moha-kiha-japanese-rail-car-nomenclature/page-3?do=findComment&comment=152542 .  I'm looking forward to seeing them behind a D51 or three :grin

Me too. I just scored a ten-pack of the Seki6000s on Yahoo Japan. I'm clearing some overdue leave next fortnight, so I'll have some time to do some proper modelling. That will include numbering and weathering the new hopper cars.

Cheers,

Mark.

Mark -I was thinking specifically of the Tomix KuMoNi83.As usual your photos have disappeared, but I recall noticing that all the grabs were molded on when you first posted the images.Charles

Charles, my photos shouldn't have disappeared. They're posted on the forum gallery, and they're still visible to me.

gallery_22_66_765853.jpg

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 4

Mark,

He may be referring to some of your old posts with flicker embeds from the account that you deleted.

Jeff