What did you order or the post deliver? (HO and other scales)

bikkuri bahn

Mark, I'll try that if Nariichi-san has no luck finding me one. I'm looking forward to seeing what the Kiha 28 looks like!

I just ordered a Kato Kiha 28 trailer and am on the hunt for a Kiha 58 with motor.

The seller of the Kiha 28 apparently doesn't have the item after all and is processing a refund.  eBay is really starting to annoy me.

Keep trying Ken, they're worth having.

25931968322_ae252c6cf1_h.jpg

25931961442_3dcebbca7c_h.jpg

There's more new photos on my Flickr page if you're interested.

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton
  • Like 4

And these are the beautiful MicroAce electric locos that I got from forum member Keitaro:

25999176956_dbd0ae6504_h.jpg

26025125405_5eb0e72f76_h.jpg

Smooth running, quiet and powerful, I'm very happy with these two units.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 5
serotta1972

I was able to snag at a great price - 17,600 yen the Kato C56 last night on HS.  I've been on a Steam Locomotive fix as of late and was perusing through the Kato and Tomix catalogs of what are the current offerings and the C56 caught my eye.  I started looking online of what was available, and mine you I was looking for the N Scale version and then I was directed to the the C56 HS page sort of unaware of the Spring Sale on HS.  I couldn't believe the price and just couldn't pass it up and had to quickly come up with a good rationale to buy it aside from being such a bargain.  My rationale is I needed my own train to run with my daughter's Thomas train and I think they would play well together, end of story.   :)

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10003637

Edited by serotta1972
  • Like 3

I think you'll be very happy with your C56 - they're very nice models that perform well. When you get it you'll find there is an extensive set of detail parts that have to be applied to finish the model. If you haven't already got some, get a pair of sprue-cutting nippers and some tweezers with broad tips - using these tools will make the job of applying the parts much easier. If you need advice or tips I can help - I've got two of them.

11113020283_264c7a68ed_b.jpg

Let me know how you go, and all the best,

Mark.

• Like 6
serotta1972

Very nice! I just got me a Sprue Cutter and some tweezers and ready to do some detailing work.  I will definitely hit you up if I run into some challenges.  Thanks for the offer Mark.  You know I'm holding you responsible for my decision to get some HO trains with all the beautiful pictures you post of your nice locomotives.   :) 

I've always wanted HO but had to make a compromise because of space and you can say finances but I'm gonna let me have some but still the main focus is N scale.

serotta1972

My little big Kato C56 is here - small steam loco but bigger scale.  She is a beauty and Mark, thanks for the warning - I have a lot of work ahead of me to make her even more beautiful like your twins.  :)

These are the before pictures:

post-2776-0-41026200-1460438069_thumb.jpgpost-2776-0-79473600-1460438079_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Just take your time and enjoy the task. At the end you'll have an engine you'll be proud to show people.

My latest Kato D51 arrived today. It doesn't appear to have ever been out of its box, let alone run. In the morning I'll put it on the test track, otherwise known as the Kitchenbenchbahn and see how it performs.

I've also got another Tenshodo 9600 and some TaKi 9900 tank cars on their way to me.

Cheers,

Mark.

serotta1972

Finally, I'm a bit of a hobby hoarder- the temptation to buy as many pieces of rolling stock as possible would hit me in N scale- the fewer offerings and higher prices of HO impose some discipline on me.

I've been reading through this thread from the beginning and found it very entertaining - love all the pictures and discussions.  There was even some drama in the middle pages resulting in a person getting banned.  Anyways, this particular post struck a chord with me - I too am a bit of a hobby hoarder and with the small size of n scale and great packaging of Japanese sets, I've accumulated quite a bit of stuff as it's not taking up a lot of space and can be hidden, overwhelming selection and relatively inexpensive.  :) If I were to collect HO, my collection would be definitely be less due to higher prices and for me space would be an issue.  I have a box that measures about 50 liters and I made a deal with myself that I would only get as many trains that would fit in the box. Let's see if I can hold myself to that promise.  :)

"with the small size of n scale and great packaging of Japanese sets, I've accumulated quite a bit of stuff as it's not taking up a lot of space and can be hidden".

Don't even think about Z scale, like I did (lol).

• Like 2
bnicolas1987

I just get today a DD 51 Kato with sound shipped by our friend Keitaro, it is jus awsome!!!

I'm waiting for a second one foud on Ebay so I'll manage ti have a real two with sound as the real prototype... In exibition this would be very cool...

Cheers.

• Like 3

Nice one! You'll have to post some video so we can hear them as well as see them. :)

Cheers,

Mark.

The other 9600 2-8-0 arrived this morning. I had to head out to work before I could do anything more than open the box, so it wasn't until tonight that I got it out and got a photo.

But having posted a photo to my Flickr page, I've discovered that since last night the dickheads at Yahoo have done something that prevents me from linking to my photos without signing in, which I already was. But when I try to sign in using the only email address that I have, I get a message that reads, "We don't recognise that email address." So until I get this problem sorted out I can't post a photo of my doubleheaded 9600s. Needless to say I'm not impressed.

Mark.

post-22-0-19583000-1461941558_thumb.jpg

• Like 3
serotta1972

"with the small size of n scale and great packaging of Japanese sets, I've accumulated quite a bit of stuff as it's not taking up a lot of space and can be hidden".

Don't even think about Z scale, like I did (lol).

Z is too big, T is the way forward ;)

N is the smallest I will go - if I were to entertain another scale, it would be something bigger - hmmm maybe O scale.  :)

• Like 1
serotta1972

The other 9600 2-8-0 arrived this morning. I had to head out to work before I could do anything more than open the box, so it wasn't until tonight that I got it out and got a photo.

After the plank is finished Mark - you might want to start building a roundhouse to store all your steam beauties!  :)

• Like 1
serotta1972

Sorry this is a repost from a different thread but thought it would be more appropriate here -

I got me a 370R Unitrack Oval and some turnouts to fit on my hollow core door with my fancy green table cover. 

My 17 month old watching her Thomas Train whiz by!

post-2776-0-20673500-1460523739_thumb.jp

Thomas now has company in the Kato C56 and 2 Freight Cars.

post-2776-0-93718600-1460523770_thumb.jp post-2776-0-85076700-1460523762_thumb.jp

post-2776-0-14696200-1460523748_thumb.jp post-2776-0-75625300-1460523756_thumb.jp

Edited by serotta1972
  • Like 1
marknewton

After the plank is finished Mark - you might want to start building a roundhouse to store all your steam beauties! :)

Some years back I built a roundhouse for a friend's layout - I'm not sure I ever want to build another one! :)

What surprises me sometimes is the number of steam engines in my roster, considering that I started out with just an Adachi B6/2120 0-6-2T. A lot of the modellers I know all reckoned that Japanese HO models would be almost impossible to get hold of in Australia, and probably be unaffordable as well. Makes you wonder how anybody managed to get things before Malcolm Turnbull invented the internet*?

Here's another view of the beautiful Tenshodo 9600 class. The model itself is gorgeous, but the real engines are rather ugly little beasts, I think. I'm going to replace the smokestack with a cast brass stovepipe chimney to improve it's looks.

post-22-0-96784000-1462457224_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mark.

(*Only joking. Turnbull is our temporary Prime Minister, who is supposed to have had a pivotal role in introducing the internet to Australia. Like most of what is said about him it's utter BS.)

Edited by marknewton
marknewton

My 17 month old watching her Thomas Train whiz by!

post-2776-0-20673500-1460523739_thumb.jp

Beautiful!

Cheers,

Mark.

shadowtiger25

Some years back I built a roundhouse for a friend's layout - I'm not sure I ever want to build another one! :)

What surprises me sometimes is the number of steam engines in my roster, considering that I started out with just an Adachi B6/2120 0-6-2T. A lot of the modellers I know all reckoned that Japanese HO models would be almost impossible to get hold of in Australia, and probably be unaffordable as well. Makes you wonder how anybody managed to get things before Malcolm Turnbull invented the internet*?

Here's another view of the beautiful Tenshodo 9600 class. The model itself is gorgeous, but the real engines are rather ugly little beasts, I think. I'm going to replace the smokestack with a cast brass stovepipe chimney to improve it's looks.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Cheers,

Mark.

(*Only joking. Turnbull is our temporary Prime Minister, who is supposed to have had a pivotal role in introducing the internet to Australia. Like most of what is said about him it's utter BS.)

I have a question regarding tenshodo engines, I recently got a C11 from them (see post #545 on this thread) and I am having trouble with the number boards. No mater what I use to atach them, they keep falling off. I dont have this problem with my Tenshodo C62 (I got it second hand and the number boards where already attached) and its driving me crazy. I've even lost one of the round plates that goes under the number board.

marknewton

I use a product called Roket Card Glue, which is made in the UK. I have no idea what it's made of, but it dries fairly quickly, cleans up with water, and remains slightly rubbery after it cures. I've used it to attach the number plates to all my model steam locos and so far none of them have fallen off.

https://www.deluxematerials.co.uk/en/scale-plastics/50-roket-card-glue-5060243900401.html

Before I apply the number plates I throughly clean both the back of the plate and the area where it's going to be attached with isopropyl alcohol to remove any dirt or residues, and then ever so lightly roughen both surfaces with a fibreglass eraser. Doing that ensures a strong, reliable bond.

If you can get hold of this product in the US you might try it, I don't think you'll be disappointed. If you can't find it, you could use RC aircraft canopy glue as an alternative.

Cheers,

Mark.