What did you order or the post deliver? (HO and other scales)

bikkuri bahn

Martijn Meerts
I would like to post photos here, too, but the message form says I don't have enough space.  What am I doing wrong?

I made some changes, try again ;)

Just got an email to say tone of these is on its way to me:

10218372a2.jpg

I had to have another red AC loco to go with my beautiful Tomix ED79 so I ordered this, being very happy with my other Tramway loco and railcar models.

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton

Folks;

After a watching fro several months and negotiating a price I could afford I was able to acquire a TENSHODO JR500 SHINKANSEN  "NOZOMI" SERIES 5 CAR SET on e bay. I have always been a fan of the Shinkansen in Japan and I now have an example of this state of the art train set. Can you folks provide a little back ground on the model and its it's 1:1 version. Any data, links etc. would be most appreciated.

Regards

Jere Ingram

• Like 1
Nick_Burman

Lord, forgive me, I fell into temptation! :grin The Devil made me do it!

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10098282

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10234789

(ordered the first and reserved the second)

Now I'm really stuffed...trains in 4 gauge/scale/proto combinations: Japanese N scale (private railway), On30/O (Latin American mix or Mid-Atlantic States logger, depends on the day of the week * :grin ), Mexican (with something from other Latin American countries thrown in) sugar mill in HO/HOn30 and now Japanese #16 gauge. I definitively need to get back to the therapist's couch ASAP! :grin But at least my Tenshodo (and forthcoming Arumo boxcab) will have something to pull and I can quit pretending that the Tenshodo is a Minnesota iron mine electric... :grin

Speaking of wamuhachis, did all versions ever run concomitantly on Japanese rails? Could 80000-80004 (the prototype cars, built 1959) have met 280000-288499 (the last batch built, 1975-1981) in service? Or were cars below the 180000-18880 series, built, used, then scrapped when freight train speeds were raised from 65 to 75kph in 1968? (if they were, well...MOTTAINAI!!!).

* = the US Iteration at least has a name...the Tionesta Eastern...

Cheers NB

• Like 1

Chinese trainer I training;

Would like to see your photo ....but I think it is upside down.....was this on purpose.

John P Boogerd

post-168-0-82589200-1375638458_thumb.jpgpost-168-0-07612200-1375638572_thumb.jpgpost-168-0-70163800-1375638671_thumb.jpgI just received the Hobby Search newsletter and Modemo is coming out with the Enoshima Type 100 in HO - I think it is numbered 108 and is green and white in color - needless to say I ordered that right away to go with my Enoshima Type 10 and 20 from Tramway that I received last month.

• Like 1
John P Boogerd

In the Hobby Search newsletter I just received, I also noticed that Kato is coming out with the E5 Shinkansen in HO as three sets - four car basic, two car addon, four car addon - and the entire 10-car train would cost about $600 - I have not been a Shinkansen fan but it's really tempting to find some way to include that with my planned layout this fall - Christmas is coming after all!

• Like 1
John P Boogerd

post-168-0-25240600-1375639241_thumb.jpgpost-168-0-28540500-1375639262_thumb.jpgpost-168-0-78183800-1375639285_thumb.jpgI ordered, too, some white metal kits of Japanese containers in HO - I hope I can assemble them - they look really good!

• Like 1

I just got an email from the Tenshodo store advising me that this model has been shipped:

215h5016.jpg

I want to be able to run mixed railcar consists such as those I've seen in many photos, so I had to have at least one car in the No.5 red livery.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1
Martijn Meerts

10 car freight in H0? You must have quite a decent space to run that ;)

It looks good though, looks to be running really smooth.

• Like 1

What if you hold your iPad the upside-down of how you took the video? Maybe it automagically solves the problem... but you probably already tried this.

10 car freight in H0? You must have quite a decent space to run that ;)

Perhaps he does as I do, and runs on a large club layout. Last night I had a 27-car freight running - heaps of fun!

Cheers,

Mark.

My Tramway EF70 arrived the other day, and I took it to the club last night for a test run. In a word, it's superb. I've got some time to myself tonight for modelling, so I'll attach all the detail parts and numbers, then post a photo. The Microace KiHa52 also got a run, and it's a beauty too.

Cheers,

Mark.

My Tramway EF70, with all the details and numbers applied :

9536179826_a003c49399_c.jpg

For comparision, my Tramway EF60, which I also detailed and numbered last night :

9536178976_b28b9458ff_c.jpg

and my latest Microace KiHa52 :

9536179356_ab4f02755a_c.jpg

I hasten to add, the diorama the models are posed on was built many years ago, and is well overdue for some improvements...

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1
Martijn Meerts

World Craft is generally a bit more expensive since it's a fairly small manufacturer and much there is still done by hand. Their quality and detail is very good though, and their service is excellent as well. I have several of their N-scale kits (will be getting some H0j at some point), and whenever I'm missing bits and pieces they're always quick to replace them free of charge.

Trainer,

Did you use the cancel button on the order in your account or use their cancelation form?

HS is very reasonable. They do have rules on ordering you have to follow if you want to do business with them. understandable they have these, cancellations are work for them and a pain in the butt as it can screw up book keeping and inventory tracking and usually results in service charges to them for the paypal or cc payment and reversal. So it should be there for the rare honest mistake.

http://www.1999.co.jp/Cancellation_e.html

HS has always played by their rules with me and I have (embarrassingly) many dozens of orders with them. I've canceled a couple of preorders in the past (ones that were allowed within their rules) and they canceled them with no problems. I was also able to reduce an order (Again within their rules) that I had mistakenly had twice as many as I needed in my ordere, again noroblems. If you contacted them in time and how they request I don't see any reason they would not stand by their offer/rules and you can ask them to.

I would suggest you perhaps take some more time before you place orders to make sure you want/need what you are ordering and can afford to spend the cash before hitting the place order button. We all get excited and big eyed at our toys, but it does take some restraint to not get into situations like this... Perhaps it would be good to take a little break to ordering stuff to think some more on where you want to go with your trains (unless you have very deep pockets and/or don't care!)

Cheers,

Jeff

Edited by cteno4
Martijn Meerts

Hobby Search does indeed not accept cancellations on certain more expensive and/or more exclusive items, but for most common stuff you have several days to cancel your order from your account page. Also, I found they're pretty reasonable to deal with by email, it can take a while to get a reply if you mail them in English though, considering they usually have only 1 person there handling all the English emails.

They do have some weird restrictions on how many items you can order at times though. Some cheaper things where you need a lot of (like catenary poles for example) they sometimes limit to 2 or 3 per household, whereas a huge 700 USD kit they limit to 10 per household ...

If you're looking at the catenary poles from World Kougei though, I would suggest asking Keitaro about them, as he can get stuff directly from World Kougei. He should be able to get you all the catenary poles you need as long as World Kougei themselves don't have a max limit per order and have them in stock.

Does anyone have the echo model to show on display....I almost made a huge order on the echo models but i was not too sure on the quality...

The Echo Model catenary masts are rather nice, just a bit fiddly to assemble. The poles are whitemetal castings, the crossarms and brackets are etched nickel silver angle, and the dropper is a brass casting. Unless you are very confident with a temperature-controlled soldering iron and 70 degree solder, I'd suggest epoxy for assembly.

My experience doing business with Hobby Search has always been excellent. I've never had any cause for complaint. I recently had some dramas with my PayPal account, and the folks at HS were only too happy to help me at their end.

Cheers,

Mark.

Martijn Meerts

I use Peco code 55 for my N-scale stuff. There's basically only the flex track and turnouts available (there's some curved track as well, but that's a different code and very limited). The idea with flex track is that you make your own curves. The N-scale variant can make very small radius curves, so I'm sure the H0 one can do R490 easily. There's a lot to keep in mind when using flex track though :)

There's also more difference between the wood and concrete ties. Wood ties have wood graining in them, and the ties are generally a little bigger. The concrete ones also have a little dip in the center of the ties, which is generally never seen on wooden ties.

I'm going to use Tillig Elite flex track. The spacing of the sleepers of Peco HO track is based on the North American prototype, it's too narrow in my opinion. In any case, I wouldn't order Peco track in Japan, it's much cheaper in the UK or US.