What did you order or the post deliver? (HO and other scales)

bikkuri bahn

marknewton

They're lifting rings - when the hoods are being removed in the workshop for maintenance the slings from the crane are attached to them.

Cheers,

Mark.

Mark;

Thanks for the info. I ordered 6 HO passenger cars form Raktan Moykibigman.

Is going to resell it June, 2013; KATO( Cato) [HO]    35 オハ tea railroad models(4952844015121)
Unit Price  JPY 4250 x 3 pcs = JPY 12750   ( tax excl. Shipping fee not incl. )
----------
Is going to resell it June, 2013; KATO( Cato) [HO]  33 オハフ tea railroad models(4952844015145)
Unit Price  JPY 4674 x 3 pcs = JPY 14022   ( tax excl. Shipping fee not incl. )

What does "Is going to resell it June, 2013" mean?

What can any one tell me about the history and/or  use JPY 4250 & JPY 4674 passenger cars?

Regards

Darklighter

@Mark: Thx. :)

What does "Is going to resell it June, 2013" mean?

It means, that the product will be available again in June 2013 (so it's a pre-order item).

• Like 1

Folks;

OK so it is a pre order item...I am Ok with that. However, what can you guys tell me about what I ordered;

35 オハ tea railroad models(4952844015121) &

33 オハフ tea railroad models(4952844015145)

bikkuri bahn
Folks;

OK so it is a pre order item...I am Ok with that. However, what can you guys tell me about what I ordered;

35 オハ tea railroad models(4952844015121) &

33 オハフ tea railroad models(4952844015145)

Both are standard passenger coaches, used on local trains. The ohafu 33 (stock #4952844015145) is a brake coach, with a conductors compartment that housed a hand brake. These brake coaches were typically placed on the front and rear of a consist.  The color is typical (tea color or more correctly budoiro) for local services- blue colored stock were originally intended for express services, though in the seventies the brown and blue stock were mixed somewhat on many local trains.

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Like 1

Bikkuri Bahn;

Thank you for the info. It is very helpful. I think I have pre ordered enough cars for a short local passenger train. It is common in the US for trains to have a red marker light on the end of the train. What would a Japanese train have on the end to signify end of train?

Regards

Jere Ingram

marknewton

Jere, Japanese trains also display red marker lights. The ohafu 33 cars you ordered have working LED marker lights on both ends, which can be controlled by a switch under the car.

Cheers,

Mark.

Mark;

Thanks for the info. However, I just got my new (old?) KTM 2-8-2 and when I put it on the my test track...it did not work :-(. Not sure what the problem is but I  will have to tear it apart and see. With no exploded drawings this should be a fun!.....With respect to the cars that I ordered. Can you recommend another engine that pulled these cars? Perhaps something  more modern...like a  TOMIX HO-201 JNR Diesel Locomotive Type DF50 (Brown) 

http://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/products/ho/ho201.htm

Any help on this would be most appreciated.

Regards

Jere Ingram

bikkuri bahn

Jere,

The passenger coaches were so common until the end of the 70's that many types of locomotives were seen pulling them.  As far as available models, the DF50 you mentioned (though the brown livery is the early type, it was changed to orange in the early~mid sixties), as well as DD51, and the DE10 for branch line trains.   Makes sure you get the orange JNR livery for these types, the later JR-F livery is not prototypical for passenger trains, if that concerns you.

Edited by bikkuri bahn

Bikkuri Bahn

Thanks for the info. I will look around and see what I can find. Still hoping to get the steam engine going but it will not be easy....I really wish there was a KTM repair station out there I could just send it to.

Regards

Jere Ingram 

marknewton
Thanks for the info. However, I just got my new (old?) KTM 2-8-2 and when I put it on the my test track...it did not work :-(. Not sure what the problem is but I  will have to tear it apart and see. With no exploded drawings this should be a fun!..

The mechanisms of older KTM models are very simple, so troubleshooting them is fairly easy. In most cases either the motor has failed, or it's not getting current. If it's causing a short when it's on the track then the insulation on one of the wheels has probably failed.

The Tomix DF50s are rather nice models, well worth having. They have superb detail and pull like a dentist.

Mark.

Mark;

I can check my 2-8-2 KTM for the shorting problems you described and will report out as to what is occurring.

I did find a DF 50 from Tomix and its on its way from Japan World (They have a good collection of HO items but prices seem to be a little steep). This is the description;

TOMIX HO-202 JNR Diesel Locomotive Type DF50 (Orange, Early). I hope this is what Bikkuri Bahn and you where referencing.

What freight equipment might this engine have pulled? I have started a small collection. Mostly 4 wheel vans and flats.

Have you folks ever put a DCC decoder in one of these engines? I do not think it is plug and play and will need to be hard wired in.

Any additional support on this would be most appreciated.

Regards

Jere Ingram

bikkuri bahn
What freight equipment might this engine have pulled? I have started a small collection. Mostly 4 wheel vans and flats.

They were used on general freights on non-electrified main line routes.  Most notably on JNR lines in Shikoku, but also on the Kii Main Line on the Ise Peninsula, the San-in Main Line, and for a period, as helper locomotives between Hirosaki and Odate on the Ou Main Line (pre-electrification)- there was tunnel on a grade here, and the diesels were suited for the job.

See here for pictures.

• Like 1

I really love those DF50's, they give off that '50s-'60s feel in a way other trains aren't able to. Someday I'll get one in N gauge, I'm sorta focusing on Shikoku too after all.

marknewton
Have you folks ever put a DCC decoder in one of these engines? I do not think it is plug and play and will need to be hard wired in.

I haven't yet, but I will be fitting one soon - I'll report back when it's done.

Cheers,

Mark.

marknewton

My Tramway Kiha35s arrived yesterday from HS - another very quick delivery. Along with the Tenshodo Kiro25s I was going to head off to the club last night and give them a run, but I have a streaming cold and feel as sick as a dog, so they haven't turned a wheel yet.

An interesting feature of both models is that the powered cars have heavy die-cast metal frames, which should give them good performance.

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton
marknewton

One thing has me wondering about the Kiha35s, what's the purpose of the oddly-shaped projections on the front of the car below the windows?

IMG_090911.jpg

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1

Maybe there's wiring, hydraulics, or air lines in there, and it was cheaper to build it like that rather than have a better looking exterior with those parts inside.

Kato 1-705 JRF DE10 in today.  A very nice loco too.  Only problem is trying to string enough recordings together of the DML61ZB to put onto a Loksound decoder.

bikkuri bahn
what's the purpose of the oddly-shaped projections on the front of the car below the windows?

It's described as a "front reinforcing plate". Haven't found the specific reason for the modification.

• Like 1
It's described as a "front reinforcing plate". Haven't found the specific reason for the modification.

There were 113s with some kind of cladding under the front windows.  It was not a positive addition, in my opinion:

third image: http://www.uraken.net/rail/alltrain/uratetsu113.html

video by JNRLovers:

and apparently 165s had it too:

Edited by miyakoji
  • Like 1

Folks;

My Tomix DF 50 arrived yesterday. Very nice locomotive. However, instruction sheet is in Japanese which I do not read. Does Tomix offer a translation of there instructions? Any suggestions on a low cost approach to getting it translated would be appreciated. Regards...

Jere Ingram  

Things have been a bit hectic at my house lately, and so I think I may have forgotten to mention that this rather lovely bit of gear from Tomix arrived:

9023418721_42be6d4bf4_c.jpg

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 2

Any additional support on this would be most appreciated.

Jere, you're correct, you'll need to hardwire a decoder into the DF50. It should be a simple task, as the motor is easily isolated. The body is secured to the frame by six tabs, three per side. Gently spread the body at the tabs and the frame will drop out. When you remove the body you'll see a PC board on top of the frame, with the leads from the pickups attached to it. Remove the leads from the board and then remove the PC board and you'll have something that looks like the photos below:

9025647488_27b39332cb_c.jpg

9025646848_f8ac2bdb63_c.jpg

It should be a simple matter to wire the decoder into the loco once you've removed the PC board. You could probably re-use the LEDs for the headlights, too.

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton