What did you order or the post deliver? (HO and other scales)

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

Have this on order:

10098282a.jpg

source:http://www.1999.co.jp/image/10098282a3/20/3

It's a model of the second production series of the famous wamu 80000 series.  It differed from the first production run in being compatible with the raising of the freight speed limit from 65km/h to 75km/h in conjunction with the 43.10 timetable change.  Also, the roof is a pressed steel type, rather than braced.

bikkuri bahn

Also ordered the taki 35000's, same version as Mark Newton's.  These types, though of a more modern design, look fine behind steam and are prototypical to boot: I have seen pictures of these on a local freight hauled by a 8600 mogul (on the Sotobo Line in Chiba Pref.) as well as behind a 9600 consol on the Kawagoe Line.

John P Boogerd

Three more sleeping cars arrived Friday to make up a 7-car train with the Kato set of four I already have - two of the Type 20 and one Type 21

post-204-13569928731304_thumb.jpg

post-204-13569928731394_thumb.jpg

bikkuri bahn

Three more sleeping cars arrived Friday to make up a 7-car train with the Kato set of four I already have - two of the Type 20 and one Type 21

The 20 series is my favorite Blue Train type.  You will have an impressive consist there behind the EF65.

John P Boogerd

I recently sold my N-scale EH500 to another member and today received the Tomix HO version from Hobby Search for my new layout and collection. 

post-204-13569928734059_thumb.jpg

Also ordered the taki 35000's, same version as Mark Newton's.  These types, though of a more modern design, look fine behind steam and are prototypical to boot: I have seen pictures of these on a local freight hauled by a 8600 mogul (on the Sotobo Line in Chiba Pref.) as well as behind a 9600 consol on the Kawagoe Line.

Mine arrived the other day, and made their debut on our club layout during the afternoon of last day of the Liverpool exhibition, when anything goes.  :cheesy

I ran a steam-hauled mixed train and a diesel-hauled passenger train. It was funny to see the looks on peoples faces - at least the ones who recognised what my models were. Although I did have one chap tell me that these tank cars and the HoKi 2200s would never have run behind steam, and another who was absolutely adamant that my models weren't of Japanese trains. According to him, "All Japanese model railways are N scale..."

Bonehead opinions aside, they're a very nice model indeed, I think you'll be very happy with them.

Cheers,

Mark.

Nice!

Cheers,

Mark.

Although my latest acquisitions aren't Japanese prototype, they are HO scale and they were made in Japan. I'm now the proud owner of 4 Suydam brass interurban cars. There's two Sacramento Northern combines, a Sacramento Northern coach and an Oregon Electric combine. These are models I've wanted for years, but I had to wait for the advent of eBay - and a decent salary - to finally get some.

I'm not about to stop modelling Japanese railways, nor am I about to become a "brass collector". These cars will be run on my club's US prototype layout. Work is underway to complete the permanent layout in our clubhouse, and I'm pushing hard for it to include an interurban line with an interchange.

I've already started work on repowering the OE car. I'm replacing the somewhat primitive Suydam drive with either a Hollywood Foundry "Bullant", or a Steam Era Models "Black Beetle". After I trial them both I'll decide which I prefer, and I'll repower the remaining cars with the same drive.

Photos will come as soon as I find where my wife has stashed the camera!

Cheers,

Mark.

John P Boogerd

I just received a gorgeous Tomix 4-car set from Plaza Japan as well as some Coca-Cola containers for which I'll have to get a container car.

post-204-13569928788446_thumb.jpg

post-204-13569928788608_thumb.jpg

John P Boogerd

I just bought a Tenshodo EF-30 which is truly stunning - it has different couplers from the Kato and Tomix engines I have - do I need Tenshodo cars for this engine?

post-204-13569928950084_thumb.jpg

post-204-13569928950451_thumb.jpg

John P Boogerd

Thanks - I knew this was an older engine but it's like new - maybe run on track once - and I paid a lot less than I did for a Kato or Tomix engine - so I'll just take it to a train shop and have them put on KD couplers. 

As promised earlier, some photos of my Suydam Niles car. The car will needs a lot of work to bring it up to an acceptable standard, but that's something I enjoy doing.

6350436910_fd4bb7c32a_b.jpg

6350436698_3730d5b456_b.jpg

6350437196_1fdee864cb_b.jpg

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 3

Martin, the Suydam models date from the early 60s, they were supplied nominally ready-to-run. But the mechanisms were very basic, and the finish and detail wasn't always the best. I'm repowering these cars, replacing one of the trolleypoles with a pantograph, and adding details.

Cheers,

Mark.

Martin, the Suydam models date from the early 60s, they were supplied nominally ready-to-run. But the mechanisms were very basic, and the finish and detail wasn't always the best. I'm repowering these cars, replacing one of the trolleypoles with a pantograph, and adding details.

Cheers,

Mark.

Well, in the 1960's they were considered top-of-line -- imported brass!

Rich K.

• Like 1

As promised earlier, some photos of my Suydam Niles car. The car will needs a lot of work to bring it up to an acceptable standard, but that's something I enjoy doing.

Cheers,

Mark.

Somehow I find that US interurbans look better with a pan than with trolley poles.

A suggestion... use Tomix TDK-C pans (the ones used on the Kotoden cars) - they look more like the US-made stuff.

Cheers NB

• Like 1
Well, in the 1960's they were considered top-of-line -- imported brass!

Which just goes to show how much the standard of RTR has improved over the years. But don't get me wrong, I'm quite happy to have gotten these cars, I don't think I'd enjoy scratchbuilding them at all! They make a great basis for a detailing/kitbashing project.

Cheers,

Mark.

A suggestion... use Tomix TDK-C pans (the ones used on the Kotoden cars) - they look more like the US-made stuff.

Nick, I've got some of these on hand, I'll give one a try and see what it looks like.

All the best,

Mark.

A box containing several sets of Kato's new car lighting "LED Interior Lighting Kit, ver.2" (11-212) just arrived (and they're sold out again at HS).  I'll be installing these in my two Ginza trains, and later experimenting with them in an E231 to see how they compare to the original kit for those.  However, the plastic diffuser is the same length and width as the old one, so I'm hopeful that it will be fairly easy to fit.

The box bears both Kato and Kato USA markings and the instruction sheet is in both languages so they're clearly planning to make them available over here. There are a couple of notes on the Japanese-only side marked "Not for U.S. or European Models" that are only in Japanese, and appear to discuss installation in some specific Japanese models, I'll see about getting a scan of those onto another thread so someone can translate them.

With shipping these came to about US$50 per set, so I'll be really happy when they start showing up locally (assuming they'll be closer to $40 for a set of six).

BTW, I made my payment for this on Wednesday (really late Tuesday U.S. time), so that's just 3 and a bit days from Tokyo to the east coast.  I think it's a record for my EMS shipments. Probably helped by the small and light (353g) package size. Normally it takes at least one extra day, and I wasn't expecting these until next week.

Ah, oops.  Somehow I posted this in the HO thread.  Could a moderator move it to the N-scale Orders thread?  Dumb, dumb, dumb.  ???

An EF60, made by Tramway. I already have one of their DD13s, a very nice model, so I'm keen to see how this one compares with it.

10115847a2.jpg

All the best,

Mark.

• Like 1

To add: the freight livery EF60's were used on passenger trains too.  This one is at the head of train 924, a night train to Shingu, via the Hanwa and Kisei Main Line.  Location is Tennoji Station.  Great atmosphere as late as 1986, when this pic was taken- the loco hauled trains are gone, but the other types are still there, though their days are numbered...

http://rail.hobidas.com/kokutetsu/archives/2007/02/60.html

• Like 1

What with all the disasters we've been having at work lately I've had plenty of overtime, so I've ordered this:

10003636a2.jpg

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10003636

The model is unpowered, but it should be a simple matter to power the thing with a Bullant or Black Beetle.

At the recent model railway exhibition at Liverpool I saw a very simple but effective layout that was basically a crossing loop set in very well-executed Australian scenery. My mate Dave is keen to build something along similar lines but with a generic Japanese station and scenery. Initially I wasn't all that keen, but I'm gradually warming to the idea. Hence my ordering this and other JNR stock.

Cheers,

Mark.

Very nice.  One of my favorite second generation DC locomotive types.  The single large headlight appeals.  I can imagine this pulling a mixed merchandise freight on the Tokaido line circa 1966.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e4/JNR_ef60_53fc_tai.jpg

To add: the freight livery EF60's were used on passenger trains too.  This one is at the head of train 924, a night train to Shingu, via the Hanwa and Kisei Main Line. Location is Tennoji Station.  Great atmosphere as late as 1986, when this pic was taken- the loco hauled trains are gone, but the other types are still there, though their days are numbered...

http://rail.hobidas.com/kokutetsu/archives/2007/02/60.html

Great photos, BB, thanks for putting those up.

Cheers,

Mark.