What did you order or the post deliver? (HO and other scales)

bikkuri bahn

10 hours ago, al camino said:

As written in KIHA81 annouced thread - the shipment arrived sound and safe.

Lucky me 🤩

Now going to check the detail part bags and instructions.

Lot of fun to come!

IMGP4769.thumb.JPG.92db734e2cfea2d354feaa1379f9205a.JPG

Nice haul. Especially interested in some pics of that 70系.

Are you planning on a 1-611 Kiha 80 (M) or have a loco hauling your train?

16 hours ago, Kamome said:

Nice haul. Especially interested in some pics of that 70系.

Are you planning on a 1-611 Kiha 80 (M) or have a loco hauling your train?

I noticed this funny detail when doing the test run last night.

Only one motorized unit in the whole pile of cars.

Last month's shipment (that one which nearly got lost) brought the necessary キハ80(M)s - one set and キハ82, キロ80,  キハ80(M), キハ82 and one single キハ80(M), another キロ80 and 2* キシ80.

The plan is  

train #1   キハ81, キハ80(M), キハ82-900, キロ80, キシ80, キハ82, キハ81

train #2   キハ81, キロ80, キシ80, キハ80(M), キハ82-900

train #3   Loco, キハ82, キハ80(T), キハ82

Maybe I'll order one or two キハ80(T) and one キロ80 - but my budget went down by TOMIX and KATO doing the important things in the same month.

Edited by al camino
Updated consist.
On 5/17/2019 at 2:31 PM, al camino said:

plan is:

train #1   キハ81, キハ80(M), キハ82-900, キロ80, キシ80, キハ82, キハ81

train #2   キハ81, キロ80, キシ80, キハ80(M), キハ82-900

train #3   Loco, キハ82, キハ80(T), キハ82 

Maybe I'll order one or two キハ80(T) and one キロ80 - but my budget went down by TOMIX and KATO doing the important things in the same month. 

Yesterday I decided to add at least one キハ80(T) to my KIHA fleet.

No need to take the motorized キハ80 and another キロ80 is not a must have.

And ---- I saw that only the キハ80(M) is available at Hobby Search.

I went to drink some cups of tea.

Then came back to Hobby Search with the decision for the キハ80(M).

And ---- I saw that the キハ80(M) is sold out also at Hobby Search.

OK  let's fill the gap in my fleet with a キロ80 (still available).

Order placed and the キロ80 went to sold out.

I picked the last one.

By checking for an other add on car for my 481 or 165 I noticed some *bargain* items.

Curious filtering to 1/80 locomotives - the EF71 JNR is reduced by ~30% (29'808 yen down to 19'320) - <CLICK> mine.
Now I have the right helper engine for my キハ80 train #3.

Today I thought about my train consists.

The キハ82-900 in may train #1 faces to the rear end of a キハ80.

My 3rd キハ82 also faces to the rear end of another キハ.

I must ("would like to") have 2 キハ82 facing cab to cab.

With キハ82-901 and 902 I already have all キハ82-900s ever been on track I decided to add another キハ82. I love cab cars in between a train.

Still available at Hobby Search.

Order placed and the キハ82 went to sold out.

Now I am waiting for a shipment again.

About the other *bargains* I will post later.

This order became expensive (my budget level pointer now shows approx. late November 2019).

New constist plan (with * indicating the cab):

train #1   *キハ81, キハ80(M),* キハ82-900, キロ80, キシ80, キハ80(T), キハ81*

train #2   *キハ81, キロ80, キシ80, キハ80(M), キハ82-900*

train #3   EF71 , *キハ82, キハ82*,* キハ82, キロ80, キハ82*

Edited by al camino
consist plan updated. (then some typos)
  • Like 1
Martijn Meerts

Well, spent a bit more money than I was planning on. Good thing I don't have any holiday plans for this year, since most of the holiday money is already gone 😉

Recently got the H0-ish scale lumber, but cutting it to size and making everything fit well was a bit problematic. Ended up ordering a set of Micro Mark tools (Chop-it, Sand-it and the magnetic gluing jig). Not all that expensive until shipping had to be added. These things don't seem to be available in Europe, so had to order them from the US.

I then decided it was time to order the tools and materials needed to start laying track for my H0j/H0e adventure. I ended up ordering a fixture for a #6 H0j turnout and one for a #6 H0e turnout. The reason both are #6 is that I can use the same tool for filing the frogs and other filing requirements. Also ordered some pc board ties for the basic skeleton as well as wood turnout ties for the rest. (you solder the rails onto the pc board for strength, then add the wooden ties) And of course, a bunch of extras such as spikes, crossties, code 70 rail, and basically everything I need to start. Or at least, I hope I got everything 😄

No clue when it'll all arrive, the fixtures I wanted aren't ones they keep stocked, so they have to manufacture them first. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, al camino said:

New constist plan (with * indicating the cab):

train #1   *キハ81, キハ80(M),* キハ82-900, キロ80, キシ80, キハ80(T), キハ81*

train #2   *キハ81, キロ80, キシ80, キハ80(M), キハ82-900*

train #3   EF71 , *キハ82, キハ82*,* キハ82, キロ80, キハ82*

I see. It wasn’t clear from your photo that you had the relevant motor car and I know others have been confused before when ordering Kiha 58s.

I’ve just ordered 2 more Kiha 80 (T) so I can have a prototypical Tsubasa service

Kiha 81, Kiro, Kishi, Kiha, Kiha, Kiha, Kiha 81.

I’m using the motor car and Kiro from the 82 4 car set.

If I swap out the 81s for 82s, this is half of the Kamome formation, the part that went between Kyoto and Nagasaki. I’m considering another Kiro and Kiha(M) but it depends on availability. This would allow me to produce the 10 car Kuroshio.

Nice find on the EF71. The JNR ones have been sold out in a few places.

Well my Kiha 80s have just turned up so I can hopefully have a little running session this weekend. Still lots of detailing and numbering required and lighting needed.

Has anyone tried the TORM HO lights? I’ve not been hugely impressed with the Kato ones as they easily become dislodged so am looking at alternatives.

4E2588AA-91C6-43A3-BEF3-92E294248647.jpeg

• Like 3

Finally got my EF65s that I've been eyeing for some time now, except not in that horrendous livery with "EF65" on the side.

Suuuuper excite for these. Will be snitching a decoder out of one of my other models so I can run one this weekend in an operating session because reasons. Hopefully these will be small enough to fit into the smaller industries on the layout but have more pulling power than the DE10 that I have been using.

0522191354.jpg

0522191354a.jpg

0522191355.jpg

And, of course, all the little tiny parts that will need to be applied. Guess I know what I'm doing before work today!

0522191356.jpg

• Like 6
Need for High Speed

GDorsett,

If your their for an op session I'll have to go then to see them or come to one of the June Open houses.

shadowtiger25

well, My bank account hates me for this one, but I just had to have it, a Tenshodo C62-3 Hokkaido style! They rarely come up for auction but I managed to win this one.

Its not in the best shape, but after working on it all day its not too bad. The smoke deflector was bent outward on the driver side, the smoke box door was off, the front number plate was missing, the front air hose broken, the lends was out of the secondary head light (by the way, does anyone know when they woukd turn those on?), front coupler smashed to pieces, grab irons on the smoke box falling off, the guide boogie stiff as well as the trailing boogie, the wheels where so dirty that I couldn't get JMRI to read the decoder, and the cherry on top of the drive gear being cracked.

It was a used locomotive, so I did expect some damage, although not as much as I encountered. I suspect some ruff handling and poor placement in the box what the main issue with all the front parts.. I fully expected the broken drive gear as the Tenshodo C62-2 Hokkaido style that I have from the same production had the same issue when I first got it, and its not a simple fix per say, but I know of a company that re-gears drive wheels so I need to find their email, check to see id their still operating and shot them an email. 

As for everything else, a good cleaning and the decoder worked like a charm. (I wonder what their track looked like because gunk was caked on thick. went through like 20 cotton swaps)

Glued parts back on

Replaced the broken coupler with one that was laying around

Bent the smoke deflector back in to place

Filled the slots on the guide and trailing boogies until they would move freely (the previous owner had put lubricant on them instead and it did not work)

Anyway, this has been a long post, and I will post some more pics latter with the coal loads, crew, and maybe running shots with the Niseko another day

These are from halfway though my restoration when I got it home

photo5154631651022710814.thumb.jpg.9b8c1c8286ae56edcfe1a18853aa3821.jpgphoto5156670849955244051.thumb.jpg.28bb4679c3d2b7ed4a69a6c779873fce.jpgphoto5154631651022710813.thumb.jpg.2aaf132f1ff862283e9bbb03bb31a4a1.jpg

• Like 3

Beautiful locomotive!  Does it come with number plates or do you have to purchase them separately?

shadowtiger25
10 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

Beautiful locomotive!  Does it come with number plates or do you have to purchase them separately?

Yes, they come new with them. C62-3 has been sold out for years.

This used one came with the original and replacements. I took that pic before I put the front one back on.

• Like 1
marknewton

Nice work on restoring the C62. As for the second headlight, they appear to be a sealed-beam type, and I suspect they might have been used as fog lights or when snow was falling. But that’s no more than an educated guess.

Cheers,

Mark.

I remember reading that the second headlight was for routes where the train would spend time under electrified lines, and replacing a burned out headlamp was forbidden due to the risk of electrification.  It was thought that the extra cost of a second smaller backup headlight would be better than risking electrocuting workers replacing the bulbs enroute.  

shadowtiger25
15 hours ago, marknewton said:

Nice work on restoring the C62. As for the second headlight, they appear to be a sealed-beam type, and I suspect they might have been used as fog lights or when snow was falling. But that’s no more than an educated guess.

Cheers,

Mark.

It took most of the day, but a day well spent!

I'm lucky though, the company I'm using to re-gear it just anouced that it will be closing, and wont take anymore orders after July 1st. I knew that if I ever got the chance to buy this mode it would need re-geared as I have read it is a problem with that line from that production run. If I had passed this chance to get it, I would be out of luck on the re-gearing as I have no means of doing it myself. The modeling world will be at a true loss when North West Short Line closes its doors.....

14 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

I remember reading that the second headlight was for routes where the train would spend time under electrified lines, and replacing a burned out headlamp was forbidden due to the risk of electrification.  It was thought that the extra cost of a second smaller backup headlight would be better than risking electrocuting workers replacing the bulbs enroute.  

Interesting, I always thought it was the reason marknewton said

Don't remind me that I haven't bought the motour I need for my Climax model yet.

Are there other shops that sell good replacement motours for small spaces?

shadowtiger25
1 hour ago, GDorsett said:

Don't remind me that I haven't bought the motour I need for my Climax model yet.

Are there other shops that sell good replacement motours for small spaces?

they are still selling what they have in stock, so you may still be able to get it

Shadowtiger25,

Any possibility of sharing with me the name of the company you are using to regear your locomotive?  I have one of the first run C62-3 and it has not been run for almost 2 years due to the same problem. 

Thank you!

shadowtiger25
19 minutes ago, leexx405 said:

Shadowtiger25,

Any possibility of sharing with me the name of the company you are using to regear your locomotive?  I have one of the first run C62-3 and it has not been run for almost 2 years due to the same problem. 

Thank you!

http://www.nwsl.com/

contact them and ask about it. I have a C62-2 from the same run, they re-geared it back in 2015 and it still runs smooth and issue free today. But contact them soon, because they will be shutting down in august and wont take anymore orders after the 1st of July

Do you run the Niseko as well?

Edited by shadowtiger25
2 hours ago, shadowtiger25 said:

http://www.nwsl.com/

contact them and ask about it. I have a C62-2 from the same run, they re-geared it back in 2015 and it still runs smooth and issue free today. But contact them soon, because they will be shutting down in august and wont take anymore orders after the 1st of July

Do you run the Niseko as well?

Thanks for info. Yes, I run the Niseko. My C62-2 is from the second run and so far it is ok. Is this one affected?

shadowtiger25
5 minutes ago, leexx405 said:

Thanks for info. Yes, I run the Niseko. My C62-2 is from the second run and so far it is ok. Is this one affected?

I don't know to be honest

I hope you can get you C62-3 repaired, the Niseko is impressive with both of them pulling.

Edited by shadowtiger25
On 6/1/2019 at 10:22 PM, shadowtiger25 said:

I don't know to be honest

I hope you can get you C62-3 repaired, the Niseko is impressive with both of them pulling.

Hi,

So I did contact NWSL, and they gave me the email address of the person who handles the repairs.  But I needed to include information about technical information about the gears (# of teeth, slanted vs. straight teeth, diameter, etc).  I have no idea about any of this.  Did you need to provide this information for your repair and if so, can you share with me?

Thanks in advance!

You're going to need a Micrometre for that. They will need every single possible measurement so they can mill a new one.

shadowtiger25
On 6/13/2019 at 6:35 AM, leexx405 said:

Hi,

So I did contact NWSL, and they gave me the email address of the person who handles the repairs.  But I needed to include information about technical information about the gears (# of teeth, slanted vs. straight teeth, diameter, etc).  I have no idea about any of this.  Did you need to provide this information for your repair and if so, can you share with me?

Thanks in advance!

they are straight teeth, i dont know off hand how many teeth but if you take the wheel off its easy to count. Places like harbor freight have calipers that can give you the diameter. I think that you can send it and they can do all that for you if you ask them, that's what I did at least. just be sure to do it before the first

Scored this Tomix HO Oha 51 and Ohafu 51 for the measly sum of ¥7500 at a recycle shop. They are used but have been very well looked after and have interior lights fitted. No decals applied although all details except air hoses have been fitted. They’ve been very well cared for but I’m kicking myself I didn’t pick up the 2 others they had. Maybe take another trip tomorrow.

F7976047-460D-4AA5-8089-4ACC51F33CBE.jpeg

• Like 4

Couldn’t resist picking up the other 2 cars as it gives me a nice running variation for my EF71

A Tomix HO 4 car consist for ¥15000 with lighting already added. I’m a pretty happy bunny.

1D2024E8-28B4-4347-A079-95B82FE865C6.jpeg

• Like 3