What did you order or the post deliver? (HO and other scales)

bikkuri bahn

After watching some amusing price fluctuations I've ordered a Kato DE10 in the new JRF livery. And a pack of two Tomix JRF 20' containers for my KoKi 106.

I did fancy one of the twin packs of Kato KoKi 104s, but they've quadrupled in price in the last fortnight so nope! My thought was to load my Tomix KoKis with container types Kato don't offer, as they're not interchangeable in 1:80 and the Kato range is a bit limited. On further investigation it looks as if the 1:76 tank containers are too long to look right on the KoKi 200, so it'll run empty for now.

• Like 2

Best place to get the Kato KoKi 104 is from Plaza Japan. Over the last year I've made several orders and the price has never fluctuated from 52ish.

The issue with the Katos is that the only containers they offer are 19D in either the brown or blue/white livery. 12+ cars of the same container is quite boring.

The JRF DE10 has excellent paint, but the numbers aren't selectable, so they will always be #1575.

Yep, hence why I won't be ordering any 19Ds or other JRF containers the same size for my Tomix KoKis! Will wait until I have the extra track and the DE10 before deciding what to order next, plus I need to get back to making my N collection a bit more coherent.

shadowtiger25

well, I kind of broke my budget for this month, but I needed on of these for my Niseko Express so I said screw it last moment...

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/d328231250

its the Tomix ED 76 from 2006

cheaper than the Tenshodo brass one that they made for the Niseko, I just have to find a way to number it with the correct number.

Also, as I need to put money in other places to make things work, this will probably be the last purchase I make for a few months.

Edited by shadowtiger25
  • Like 2

This was about time, to say the least - finally my Hello Kitty Shinkansen has arrived!

HKShinkansen_001.thumb.JPG.627661cbb23e417b3779bee1a6c170f9.JPG

HKShinkansen_002.thumb.JPG.c2df27f3c3b0f3513330b99d4742b91d.JPG

HKShinkansen_003.thumb.JPG.ed874fb5c8d7d618c9d9a4f72d7b6e6e.JPG

It's the complete 8-car-train, of course, but that's bit much for our layout. So normally, we will run it with 6 cars, just like Raffi's Kodama.

And a quick shot of the two night trains:

HKShinkansen_006.thumb.JPG.a07d6bde452824b4631b02b966ab81a3.JPG

Michi

• Like 5

My DE10 arrived. Incredibly rapid delivery considering I ordered it ten days ago, it was posted a couple of days later and the postal service is still dealing with its annual hammering!

• Like 7

I love my Kato DE10. One of my best running models. Has survived two or three US Operating sessions now.

and make sure that you permanently affix the steps on the pilots. When it derails and crashes into something, you WILL lose those! I'm missing two of them because I just pressure fit them and didn't glue em in place.

9 hours ago, GDorsett said:

make sure that you permanently affix the steps on the pilots.

I second that, they do come out very easily otherwise. Same with the air hoses which need glueing and look much nicer with a bit of paint.

80F77858-4EBD-4811-96D2-9490037D8407.jpeg

• Like 3

I've glued them at one end, will add some at the other but they were a tight push fit on mine. Couldn't fit the longer hose as it fouls the coupler swing, but the smaller taps, coupler cut bar and so on were fine.

The rest of my HO orders arrived. Kato HV2 pack and a couple of Tomix containers:

That'll be it for now, I need another three packs of 370mm curves to make a table-friendly oval and maybe one of the Kato KoKi 104 packs (and maybe a DD51...). Interestingly the Tomix KoKis seem quite happy with R370 curves, despite the instructions stating 490mm as minimum radius. I've propelled and hauled them through ninety degrees of said curves with the DE10 and had no derailments or scraping noises, even with the length difference between the two KoKis and resulting coupler swing.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Welshbloke said:

(and maybe a DD51...)

Plan on getting two of those, myself. Still trying to decide if I want the cold or warm region versions.

Weirdly the cold versions were cheaper when I last looked. I quite fancy some of the MicroAce coach kits too, realise they're basic but they're cheap enough to buy one and see how it goes, then more if the results are good.

Need for High Speed

I just bought these 2  0-series cabs in HO for 30 bucks at a train show in oaks. And yet they run very well. luck must have been on my side today. but I wish it came with some extra cars to make it longer.

20190112_110539.jpg

20190112_194836.jpg

20190112_201105.jpg

• Like 4

And my Phase I 0-Series still throws everything it's got into it and goes nowhere. I may end up repowering it because it's gotten ridiculous at this point.

Need for High Speed
4 minutes ago, GDorsett said:

And my Phase I 0-Series still throws everything it's got into it and goes nowhere. I may end up repowering it because it's gotten ridiculous at this point.

I mean if you had bought this train for 40 bucks it would chose to not work. 😉LOL I am actually very surprised that it runs the guy I bought it from said he wasn't sure if it ran or not.

Yeah, probably. It's that Murphy's Law thing again...

And on a different note, I had this waiting for me when I got home from today's show:

One Yo8000 in HO

0112192123.jpg

0112192124.jpg

0112192124a.jpg

THE BOX IS SO SMALL

It is brand new, although got it for slightly less than full retail price. Non of the details are on it yet!

Please ignore the steamer behind it. Still working out it's kinks.

• Like 6
Need for High Speed
On 1/12/2019 at 9:10 PM, GDorsett said:

Or do what I would do sell it and save up to buy the Zoukei mura super rail series HO model they are like 400 to 500 bucks on yahoo auctions. I cant because I have Track and a tanks and the Chinese CRH trains.

Its got really nice detail and DCC plugs and isn't crappy like the model power ones. It will be on par with my E5 and 500. I can just emagine running three bullet trains at shows. That will really drive them crazy. lol

It turns out those kits I found are actually by Arii, the Micro Ace branding on some sites seems to be spurious. The locos look as if they can be converted to track power and made to run acceptably, but I think I'll just order an OHaNeFu and a KaNi for now and see how they go together. Worst case scenario sounds as if I might have to replace the wheels and add Kadees. Then a pair of OHaNes if the first two come out well.

• Like 1