What did you order or the post deliver? (HO and other scales)

bikkuri bahn

6 hours ago, jasona2z said:

I purchased this kato HO case over a year ago and had been using it for a tool case, at least thats what I was telling myself..

Funny how that happens. Constant looking at the case just set in that desire to fill it with some Ho kokis instead of tweezers and pliers! 😜

jeff

• Like 1

My Kiha 110's arrived, they are very well done for the price point. The grabs are molded on but they still look great.  To be honest I might try to pick up the single car to add to my two car set.

Kato HO Kiha 110

• Like 9
14 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

Beautiful Kiha-110s! They look really nice! That might mean more liveries for the Kiha-110 ?

Kato just announced another paint scheme for the single car unit, Iiyama Line Revival Color, its up for pre order now.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10542589

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=RAIL-25402&page=top%2Fsearch%2Flist%3Fs_keywords%3D1-615-1%24pagemax%3D40%24getcnt%3D0%24pagecnt%3D1

10 hours ago, dmustu said:

Nice! Is there any instructions for them regarding DCC?

None that I could see, but being a Kato it shouldn't be too difficult. I am keeping mine DC.

On 6/10/2018 at 9:20 PM, keiichi77 said:

My Kiha 110's arrived, they are very well done for the price point. The grabs are molded on but they still look great.  To be honest I might try to pick up the single car to add to my two car set.

Kato HO Kiha 110

I’ve been waffling about getting these because of the cast on grab irons. My resolve is weakening...

2 hours ago, Ken Ford said:

Oh, what the heck - ordered.

You won't be disappointed, they are very nice. 

Besides adding a few passengers and crew the only thing I plan on doing is paint the seats.  I am looking for some good reference photo's, I found one picture which shows the seat backs as light grey and the seats wine. Looking for better pictures before I start though.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, keiichi77 said:

You won't be disappointed, they are very nice. 

Besides adding a few passengers and crew the only thing I plan on doing is paint the seats.  I am looking for some good reference photo's, I found one picture which shows the seat backs as light grey and the seats wine. Looking for better pictures before I start though.

I’m looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

They are here!

I'm puzzling through the instructions using Google Translate on my phone - there are two styles (single and double receptacle) of what appears to be the electrical portion of the automatic couplers that need to be added, I think the instructions say to pick the one that is appropriate - I’m guessing from photos.  I believe adding these will prevent the coupler from swiveling, or at least restrict it.  Or am I off base?

Also, I’m surprised to see diaphragms are only on one end of each car?  There aren’t even mounting holes on the other ends.

One thing to watch out for - the sideframes have a separate molding that simulates what I think is a suspension air bag and bolster end cap.  Three of the eight on my two car set were loose and floating in the box from shipping - they pop right back on, but I’d hate to lose one.

1 hour ago, Ken Ford said:

They are here!

I'm puzzling through the instructions using Google Translate on my phone - there are two styles (single and double receptacle) of what appears to be the electrical portion of the automatic couplers that need to be added, I think the instructions say to pick the one that is appropriate - I’m guessing from photos.  I believe adding these will prevent the coupler from swiveling, or at least restrict it.  Or am I off base?

Also, I’m surprised to see diaphragms are only on one end of each car?  There aren’t even mounting holes on the other ends.

A lot of the kato N scale cars have similar issues, the coupler details are only to be added if you do not plan on using that particular coupler.  Also the diaphragms are usually only on one end of a car, as on the full size model one diaphragm will open and attach to the other car.  

In Japanese practice diaphragms are just on one side of the joint?  US and European practice is that all cars have them on both ends, and they meet in the middle.

Edited by Ken Ford
35 minutes ago, Ken Ford said:

In Japanese practice diaphragms are just on one side of the joint?  US and European practice is that all cars have them on both ends, and they meet in the middle.

Yep, locomotive hauled  coaches use that type, but DMUs and EMUs only have one between each car.  Since most Japanese lines have trains simply reverse at the end rather than turning the whole train, its easier to keep them all on the same side of each car so all lashups will alwasy have one car with a diaphram and one without.  For example on the Omura line between Sasebo and Nagasaki all trains have their diaphrams on the end of the car which faces the Nagasaki end of the line.  The diaphrams are also not too heavy, so if there is an issue they can be lifted off by hand and replaced with a spare.  Occasionally you'll see a unit with a diaphram stowed on each end, but as that requires each car it would connect to to not have a diaphram already it is not usually done.  Both ends of the diaphram are identical so they can clip on to the end of any car in any direction.

Connecting two Kiha 40s, one end of the diaphram is left connected to the original car and the other is lifted by hand and connected to the other car face.

Connecting two 113 sets, notice the little hook on the end of the diaphram just below headlight level used to keep it stowed away when not in use.  You can also just barely see the sets of "dogs" or tabs that insert into slots on the car face and rotate to lock the diaphram to the end of the car.  There are three of these dogs on each side of the hood, and one at the top of the hood.  

Edited by Kiha66
  • Like 2
serotta1972

I got some older Endo and KTM Brass HO Japanese trains.  Not as detailed as the new stuff today but but love the feel and heft of metal constructed trains.  

Edited by serotta1972
  • Like 2
serotta1972

And also a Kato EF58 and I was inspired to install the detail parts: number plates, wipers and a bunch of grab bars.  

IMG_3855.thumb.jpeg.2bfca1519856d1fccb9c0b4ab0000517.jpegIMG_3858.thumb.jpeg.00bd71b7069c1e6f3003bd03b53d8ce3.jpeg

• Like 8

The EF58 looks very good with all its bits attached. You've made a neat and tidy job of it as well. Good on yer! :)

All the best,

Mark.

• Thanks 1

Tuesday I got my copy of 細密イラストで綴る 日本蒸気機関車史 ('History of Japanese steam locomotive spelling in detailed illustration', which is basically a reprint of 1号機関車からC63まで ('From No. 1 locomotive to C 63') with an additional 10 pages of passenger carriages, as I understand it)...

C57_111_004.thumb.JPG.8c415582a38b3536e66325947f814048.JPG

... and today the suitable steam engine arrived, Rokuhan's C57 111, which was on sale at Hobby Searchfor irresistable 8900 Yen just a few weeks ago.

C57_111_007.thumb.JPG.9284696e5301909ed3d589d3e9ac5fe4.JPG

C57_111_006.thumb.JPG.5d6d4fd8eddeac97a224cab274291b04.JPG

Now, if only Tenshodo would come up with a SuRoHa32 and a SuHaNi32 in Z scale...

• Like 5

I was weak, and Paul (railtunes) was offering such a good deal I just couldn't say no.  They took a bit of work to spruce up but man kato ho stuff is amazing!  Now I'm worryingly looking at getting some DMUs, or a C59...

20180718_210520.thumb.jpg.ad9cf84b1b1c9e0141b3cf1563dc3862.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There's no turning back now! 

If you do do get a C59 you won't be disappointed. They're a very nicely finished and detailed model with a smooth and quiet mechanism.

large.IMG_1122.JPG.5b549fad52fb5ba229489

All the best,

Mark.

• Like 4

Beautiful photo mark, believe me I am very tempted.  How hard would it be to add dcc to the model?  It would be a shame to have it confined to the kitchen table and not be able to run it on a larger club layout.

I’ve been a little “narrow-minded” of late. One  of the chaps at the Nogata, first Sunday of the month, running club had started making some narrow gauge modules using the Tomytec NaRo gauge 80 range. Needless to say, I have become slightly engrossed in the level of detail that some of these Japanese narrow gauge modelers have produced. 

Due to a few of these models being on clearance at a local hobby shop, (¥2000) I got a bit carried away and now have quite a fleet, although currently unpowered. 

I will in the future convert all with the relevant motors (TM-07R) as well as scratch build some interiors and possibly add working lights, due to the workable space with HO.

It’ll be a long-running side project. Adding motors will be simple enough but working out what to do internally may take some time. DCC or DC? Until then, they make nice display pieces.

Anyway, they looked fantastic navigating around the tight curves of the club members layout so I’ll be keen to create something along the same lines.

B44BCF98-7E02-41FF-BC09-200E22027DD0.jpeg

• Like 8
On 7/21/2018 at 4:50 AM, Kiha66 said:

Beautiful photo mark, believe me I am very tempted.  How hard would it be to add dcc to the model? 

Not hard at all. The top of the tender lifts off to reveal a circuit board that incorporates an 8-pin receptacle. Remove the blanking plug,  install the decoder of your choice and away you go. There's more than enough room in the tender to install a speaker enclosure if you're going to use a sound decoder.

All the best,

Mark.

large.IMG_2343.JPG.618e9e70afae743ac92cd

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1