What was the first Japanese train you purchased?

Bernard

800 series shinkansen and a shiny EF81-300, both from Tomix. Now the 800 is no longer operational due to too many broken parts, especially its very weak couplers and the nose "cap"..

A single Seibu line car I bought about 6 months ago from the "junk" section of a shop in Akihabara, thinking it would be nice to put on a shelf. I then thought it would be neat to have a short stretch of track on an old desk and a controller to run a cheap Kato KOKUDEN unit back and forth.

I think I've got about 40 powered units now, ranging from Modemo trams to Shinkansen.

Well, over the 25 years since I last bought a model train, that's less than two per year, which is quite reasonable (I tell myself).

Hi All,

My first japanese trainset is tomix 500 series shinkansen 4 car set.. just had it last month... but i wanna focus on Kato... can I run Kato and Tomix together in one track? Need your advice on track choosing, kato unitrack or tomix one? Thanks..

the both have their pros and cons. we'd need a bit more info before giving you advice.

what do you want to do for a layout/track setup? do you need any special features? etc?

Seems like the 500 series is quite the first train set for many of us.... It has to take the trademark of Japan Railways!

Like katoftw mentioned, we need more info to give you more info on which system to use, and their pros and cons. N scale trains, be it Kato or Tomix or even MicroAce/ Greenmax etc can run on either brand of track, so long they are N gauge or 9mm width. However, Kato and Tomix tracks are not compatible with each other UNLESS you use a track convertor track to convert Kato to Tomix or vice versa...

Seems like the 500 series is quite the first train set for many of us.... It has to take the trademark of Japan Railways!

Nasty pointy thing (nothing personal ;) ). Come to think of it the first proper Japanese train I purchased was a Kato 0-kei shinkansen, which IMHO is far more iconic than the 500 (which looks all futuristic but was an evolutionary dead-end). (Actually the first full set I purchased was a Kato KOKUDEN unit 'cos it was cheap and I had no idea about N-gauge - I spent a few happy evenings running it up and down some temporary track before deciding to get more ambitious).

Edited by railsquid

My first train I bought was the Kato E4 Max basic and add-on set. I know it's a bit dated now (with the latest JR East line-up) but it's still one of my favourite "bullets"

It was also the first I added interior lighting to and it looks great with both decks lit up. The motor is a bit noisy but I still like this thing running with an E3 Tsubasa in tow.

Just one of those trains that will always stay in my collection.

hi katoftw and JR500.. thanks for the reply.. at the moment there is no special features for layout in my mind, just with standard features provided by manufacturers.. as I have written on separate post, kato n tomix didnt produce the same model for some trains. for example, as I know tomix did produce jr300 but kato didnot. if DCC is not common for n scale shinkansen kato or tomix, may I know what would be the solution from your experience? or what is the common choice the modellers did to run kato n tomix together? thanks...

In addition, just correct me if i was wrong mentioning that kato didnot produce jr300 or not.. :) but i am sure kato and tomix had some different shinkansen models as mentioned on basic guide for beginners post...

can I run Kato and Tomix together in one track? Need your advice on track choosing, kato unitrack or tomix one? Thanks..

Yes, you can run their trains together on the same track.

As for Kato vs. Tomix track, the one big advantage for Kato, at least where I am, is that it's way more easily available. That's why I went Kato; I actually have a train store about a mile down the road that stocks the full line. For Tomix, I'd have to order everything from Japan. I need instant gratification!

One thing about Tomix is that you can use their "Constant Lighting" system to get at least a couple of DCC-like features on DC track. But only if you use their track and power packs. (And maybe their locos... not sure but that would make sense.)

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1

Hi Spacecadet...

Thanks.. :) okay i noted i can run them together in one track although I still dont know how exactly to do that :).. as you said that Kato is more available at your end, so I guess Kato is easier to find rather than Tomix.. me too, in our local shops I saw more to Kato... Tomix seemed to be pretty rare to get although sometimes they appeared... But Kato is seemed to be everywhere..