New Type: JR West Series 287

miyakoji

And here it is

youtube contributor JRwehksf was amongst the first to post video of JRW's new 225 series on Kinki Sharyo's siding just east of Tokuan Station, and here he's got the 287 as well.

Looks good overall.  Lately I feel like I could handle more radical designs, but I guess this will do.:grin  Notice the N700-8000 series car in the background to the right.

I think they'll all look like the picture above, with the gangway.  I haven't seen mention of panorama endcars, and the 183s that these will replace don't have them, although they do have those "driver-station-ized" intermediate cars that JR or JNR built themselves.  You may be thinking of the 381s used for Yakumo, some Kuroshio, and in the past, Shinano services.  They have some endcars that look a lot like 183s, but they also have panorama cars.

To answer my own question about the running gear, I noticed on the Japanese wikipedia page that all cars are motored, which is also the case with the 225s.

No, I actually had the 683 Series in mind. Both these units look alike and since the 683 Series had an aerodynamic nose on one end, I wondered if the 287 would have it too.

No, I actually had the 683 Series in mind. Both these units look alike and since the 683 Series had an aerodynamic nose on one end, I wondered if the 287 would have it too.

Ah yeah, the 683s.  That's a good point, and in the last 18 months or so I think I read that JRW has bought a few more sets of those, I wonder why they didn't just go with that body.  Maybe this includes other new technology.  Plus this only needs to be DC while any rolling stock that gets on the Hokuriku Main Line needs to be AC/DC.