Need infor regarding Taiwan..

Samurai_Chris

Samurai_Chris

Ok, its been ages (about 7 years) since I went to Taiwan, so I am looking forsoem help regarding a stop over there..

I am taking my daughter home to Australia for Xmas, so will be heading there around the 22nd of Dec.. I am flying in to Taipei from Fukuoka, and will have about a 19 hour stop over on the way!

The last time I did this trip, I was alone, so I am worried about my little one (she is 8) getting tired from the stop over.. So I want to find some "cheap" things to do to waste the time and show her around...

I know there are the free half day tours for transit passengers. So i will jump on one of those so she can see the city. But about the Shinkansen services. I would love to know if anyone has some info or experience regarding Taiwan..

On the way home, we will probably arrive late and be put up in a hotel, so I will just relax on that leg before we head home to Fukuoka.. So its just the 19 hour lay over that I am worried about on the way to Australia...

Chris

Haven't been to Taiwan yet, but apparently the trip by HSR from Taipei to Zuoying (the current whole length) takes only 90 minutes on the fastest service, so an out and back trip is entirely feasible. At Zuoying you can also check out the 1067mm services which share the station facilities (apparently alot of the Taiwan HSR stations are greenfield sites w/o adequate transfer to what we in Japan call "zairai" (1067mm) lines, though it seems things are being improved where possible.

During the Trainaway Tours Taiwan trip in May last year we did a day trip from Taipei to Kaohsiung and back going down on the 3'6" and returning on the HSR. Express trains on the HSR stopping only at Banciao and Taichung do the run in just over an hour and a half, Tze-Chiang Ltd Expresses on the 3'6" TRA line take an average 4 hrs 45 min. The private High Speed Rail and the government 3'6" Taiwan Railways Administration are separate companies.

http://www.thsrc.com.tw/en/

http://www.railway.gov.tw/en/index/index.aspx

In the concourse of Taipei Main Station is a TRA gift shop that sells Touch-Rail Taiwanese N scale trains among other railway souvenirs and books.

Sorry guys. Have changed my travel arrangements, and we are now flying Korean Air through Soeul..

Chris

Perhaps a layover there with new possibilities(??) :laugh:

Sorry guys. Have changed my travel arrangements, and we are now flying Korean Air through Soeul..

Chris

Chris - Korean Air is great BUT with the recent unrest in Korea I hope this doesn't effect your travel plans.

Samurai_Chris

After living in Japan for the past ten years. The Korean situation in nothing new in regards to what will happen.. We are kind of used to it now.. So I am sure that everything will be fine, and it will be business as usual!

Chris