ICE/Shinkansen Portal prototype

inobu

Guest Closed Account 1

Faller 272582 Tunnel Portal 25x170x100mm

Does this look like it can be stretched out to 4.5 inches? Modern tunnel standard is 1 9/32"/32mm or 17 feet (1:1).

A little hot water can really help make big changes to plastic.  Hold form, soak for a minute or two then drop into ice water for a few more minutes.

http://www.faller.de/xs_db/DOKUMENT_DB/www/anleitungen/272582_anl_01.pdf

post-436-13569928984922_thumb.jpg

ok, So I'm back at it.............

What I did was take the WS portal 1156 and impose the ICE portal behind it to get a clearance and size reference. I know that some have complained about

the size of the WS portal. I extended it 4.75 mm on each side and 2 mm on the height.

ca27de74c38afbbc2cf45fcef180.jpg

The Double Unitrack fits exactly in the WS Portal where as the code 80 track can be adjusted based on looks.

The 4.75 mm can give you a 30 inch walkway on each side it you want.

[smg id=1401]

I'm going to add a lip on the back inner wall so a styrene sheet can be placed inside of the tunnel adding wall depth. I think with that you could add tunnel lights along the wall.

[smg id=1402]

I simplified it. If something look off or is missing let me know.

Inobu

• Like 1

Webskipper,

I don't think the stretching is going to work. Its too long and not enough material.

I stretch this portal and the distortion level is high.

I'm not sure that you can control (evenly expand the plastic) without tearing or shredding it.

[smg id=1403]

This is a 124mm span from inner wall to inner wall.

I know its different from what you have but I'm trying to give you a few looks.

This is a center cut which may be the easiest method.

You may be able to disguise the front with a sign.

[smg id=1404]

Inobu  

Guest Closed Account 1

You may be able to disguise the front with a sign.

[smg id=1404]

Inobu 

Exactly my thought. A sign, signal lamps, or just some overgrown vegetation.

Oblonged with flat ceiling, it still looks very cool.  The second one with rounded ceilings bound to be tall and its going to be loud with all that air compressed by 3 passing bullets. :)

The intended tunnel length will be about 4-5 inches. Just enough to separate my layout from the other Ntrak scenes.

OK,

I'm going for it.

[smg id=1416]

Its going to be a three piece portal. The pieces are represented by the 3 color's with the crown, left and right side. If I can I'm going to try to get it to two pieces crown and wall. We will see.

Urethane plastic likely, concrete gray or close.

Hopefully I can get the first article done in a day or so.

Inobu     

• Like 2
Guest Closed Account 1

My Noch 34840 ICE Tunnel portals arrived. Little disappointed. Its hand painted foam. Expected a better paint job. It does have a good starting point for a hillside or mountain.

Still waiting on the Faller, which looks like the winner. It comes with a short length of tunnel which forms a perfect angle for the portal. No guessing.

I had a couple of design issues again that I had to work out. So I basically had to start over.

Everything looks good now and I added the feature that allows you to slip a sheet of styrene into the face to extend the tunnel depth. It has the front and rear piece that holds the styrene in a arc. You can glue or just tape the outside in case you want to change the depth.

Here is the final rendering of it.  

gallery_153_52_1357005311_1426.jpg

This portals is about a 8" or 210mm in depth from tip to rear. The styrene center is about 4" or 97mm.    

Without the center extension the portal is about 4.5" or 116mm

gallery_153_52_1357005311_1427.jpg

The slot is for a .03" or .77mm sheet of styrene. You can see where it slides into the front. The rear piece has both a slot and lip (you can see it in the lower left of the image) so it can be flipped around if you don't need the depth. It fits into the rear of the front piece.  

There is a bit of a seam but if you paint the wall a flat gradient to black you should not see it.
What is good about this is you can really expand on it. Add lights to the styrene, glue wall images to the interior. Because its sturdy you can really work with it.  

Inobu

This is it, what ever happens happens, I got to move on to my next project. lol

Edited by inobu
  • Like 2
Guest Closed Account 1

Faller ICE Portal 272582 and Noch ICE Portal 34840 Pics.

The Faller gives the modeler a choice of portal widths, a clear plastic tunnel shell, concrete decal, and sign decals.

The Noch is a foam version that is ready to a part of the landscape.

Inobu out did himself on the scratch built version.

post-436-13569930108263_thumb.jpg

post-436-13569930109266_thumb.jpg

whoops i missed this! I agree, superb job Inobu! so is it going into production?! brilliant with the styrene insert! what is the width at the base of the mouth there? im starting to think if this might work on the jrm mountain portals!

jeff

Thanks guys..........This thing is killing my. I still have to go back and make some modifications to avoid a few undercuts so another revision is in the works....so much for "this is it".....

Jeff here are the dimensions.

The portal inside heights is 2.13" (54mm).

The width 2.72" (69mm) inner floor edges at the mouth.

The total heights is 2.82" (71.75 mm)

The main portal depth is 2.68" (68mm)

The rear extension is 1.57" (40 mm)

With a styrene insert you should be able to extend it another6" (150mm)

I kept it close to the WS portal

[smg id=1401]

I'm telling you.............because of the styrene sheet you can add lights so easy.

Inobu

Part 1 Done....

After..what? a year.... I got the first part done. 2 more to go. I should have it done in a day or so. Finally.

I think these will be really good pieces....at least I hope.

[smg id=1433]

Inobu

Inobu,

very cool. i have to set up that end of the layout next week to measure stuff for our new skirting so ill see if this can fit into our mountain entrances.

you going to start producing some of these for sale now?!

jeff